Welcome to PatsFans.com

How We Finance Our Debt

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by ljuneau, Feb 19, 2009.

1. ljuneau

ljuneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

How We Finance Our Debt

Check out the link above. It's a video by Glenn Beck (love him or hate him). The video is enlightening, entertaining, and scary, but very informitative.
  2. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I have to say I really can't stand Beck. He comes off as such a phony to me. But, he does cover some great stuff. I happened to catch a bit of his show last week. He was playing a video of a teacher asking her class (around 6th grade) who they wanted for President. A couple said Obama and then she said if you like McCain you can say McCain. So a kid said I like McCain and she went mmm mmm (in a chiding manner). A few more Obamas and Another kid said McCain. And she said your daddy is in the military. Don't you know McCain will keep him in Iraq for a hundred years? I went to a private grammar school in the 70s so thankfully I was not subject to this. But, it's scary to see the indoctrination that goes on in the schools from elementary to college in this country every day.
  3. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +141 / 1 / -4

Perhaps a good explanation for some conservatives, since it's done with simple words and cartoons, but of course it's disingenuous to talk about this now.

Republicans, including Beck, mostly ignored the way we are funding our debt until now. But, apparently, they are so upset that Obama wants to help Americans rather than Iraqis or Afghanis, they're talking about debt again.

Right now, we have an economic crisis, and if we don't pump money into the economy, unemployment will further sprial out of control. We need to get our debt situation under control, but Obama has many of the Clinton economic advisers helping him, so I assume that will happen. But, right now, is not the time to worry about debt; we have to worry about people losing their homes, losing their jobs, and even going hungry ... unless of course, you're Republican.
  5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +245 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

Give me a break, Patters, Obama is on record as wanting to spend a LOT of money in Africa so quit with your partisan rhetoric. Of course, based on what we've seen from Barry so far there's a decent chance that was just election talk as he is a far different President than he was a Candidate.
  6. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I think what people(not just repubs) are questioning is the KIND of help Americans are getting. People all over the world are looking to America to improve so their economy can improve and unfortunately that's a side-effect of being a world power. We wish we could hunker down and just address THIS country's needs as opposed to worrying about the effect of what's best for AMERICANS is going to have on the rest of the world, but we really can't.

However, that global concern shouldn't take precedence over our own. It's sorta like the airline advice: put on your own oxygen mask before you put one on your child.
  7. Patters

Ratings:
    +141 / 1 / -4

My issue with Republican Party is that right now they are complaining about debt, but were quiet in the past. Why were they quiet, when we were spending billions to help the Iraqis and Afghanis, but now seem to be against spending to help the unemployed or those who have lost their homes. Obviously, I'm guilty of overgeneralizing because there are a small number of Republicans who complained in the past about debt and who support many aspects of the stimulus bill, but in general it is truly unseemly the way many conservatives complain about accumulating debt to help Americans, but never seemed to care about accumulating debt to help the Iraqis and Afghanis.

I myself am not against debt and not against creating a world of mutual economic dependence (let's face it, it's not in China or our interest to blow each other up), but I am against the apparent hypocrisy by many so-called conservatives.
  8. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I see what you mean, but there is (and has been for a few years) a growing movement to drastically reduce our our massive expenditures from many who consider themselves conservative but not necessarily Republicans. I think that's part of the reason Ron Paul's campaign got some steam. Glenn Beck is another prominent conservative who was pretty critical of Bush over spending.
  9. ljuneau

ljuneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I'm not going to argue with you regarding your idiotic economic comments, so I didn't quote them above.

But to set the record straight, Glenn Beck is not a Republican, he is a Libertarian. And over the past two years he has been lambasting our government, including Bush, old congress, new congress, and now Obama, over its spending and overall economic policies. To say he has ignored it (including the debt) until now means you don't know what the heck you are talking about or are simply lying.
  10. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +245 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

A lot of Republicans both here and in Congress have been against the big spending Bush administration for a lengthy about of time now.

But that's all in the past now. What happened under Reagan, Bush I or Bush II has happened and criticizing them or their supporters gets us nowhere - the question is, what should we do NOW ? So far Obama has been an unmitigated disaster but it's only been a month. Confidence is down, stocks are down, employment hasn't picked up, spending has increased by a massive amount. Obama is up, his talk does nothing any more - now he has to fix the problem and I don't think he has a clue. I know - hope and change you can believe in. Right.
  11. Patters

Ratings:
    +141 / 1 / -4

Beck consistently praised Bush's performance, but criticized his communications skills. You may think Beck is Libertarian, but on common issues where Libertarians tend to differ with Republicans, such as abortion and gay marriage, Beck believes in government restrictions. he is also pro-Iraq war.

I could not find any links showing that Beck lambasted Bush, etc. on deficit spending and the economic policies, though I did find one where he criticized FDR! Can you find any examples to back up your claim that Beck has "lambasted" Bush and the old Congress?
  12. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I don't know if I can find specific clips, but Beck was definitely critical of Bush. Glenn is not an avowed Libertarian, he just claims to be conservative. He definitely agrees with some Libertarian issues, but he mostly just identifies himself as conservative.

He was very critical of Bush in the Compean-Ramos case, and I've heard him criticize Bush fro growing government plenty of times. There's no specific Olbermanesque rants I can think of, but he has definitely been critical.
  13. Patters

Ratings:
    +141 / 1 / -4

I agree in general with Obama's approach. I'm not an economist, so can't argue the specifics. But, from what I've read and from what I know about capitalism, it takes money to make money. The stimulus bill aims to generate economic activity, in the hope it's a spark that can get our economy back on track or at least slow the decline. It's directed towards helping people who lost the jobs or accumulated deep debt due to the housing crisis, and also tries to jump start alternative energy. It's tax cuts are political fodder, which may do some good in the longer term, but will not ignite our economy. So far, Obama has not managed to change the trajectory of our economy, but the stimulus bill was just passed so it's a bit too early to judge its impact.

Wall Street today is apparently responding to the bizarre choir of the likes of Lindsay Graham and Alan Greenspan who say we may need to nationalize some of the banks. I don't know if any Democrats have called for that yet. I'm not against. I lived in Sweden, when the American righties were gleefully it's demise. It would give me pleasure if the US used the same strategy that the Swedes used to fix their economy.
  14. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +245 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

Sweden is smaller than Texas, it's not a good comparison.

Anyway, Chris Dodd is making is sound like it's going to happen. FOr a short time ? Right. Anyway, short or long, this kind of talk is a big part of what's keeping stocks down :

"Senate Banking Committee Chairman Christopher Dodd said it may be necessary to nationalize some banks for a short time as Citigroup Inc. and Bank of America Corp. tumbled today on concern the U.S. may take over both banks."

I want to be clear, btw, I'm not blaming Obama for the mess but with stocks down 25-30% since election day and his administration being a mess so far, he has hurt the cause. When I say a mess I'm talking about the tax cheats, Obama suggesting Geitner would give details on his plans then . . . nothing, the rush to spend $1T, continued bailouts of groups at the expense of everyone else. Obama walked into a tough situation but he's made it worse IMO.
  15. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

http://www.foxnews.com/bios/talent/glenn-beck
  16. Patters

Ratings:
    +141 / 1 / -4

Whether you blame Obama or not, it's his responsibility now. Bush can't do anything about it. It's much too early to judge Obama on this. I like what he said to the mayors today -- that he would call them out if they waste the money. I like how's tightening the screw on Wall Street. And for many other aspects of his recovery plan. But, at this moment, clearly his efforts have not worked. I think we won't know much about the effectiveness of his strategy until the money actually starts getting spent.
  17. Synovia

Synovia Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Like who? THey didn't seem to be against his spending when they were asked to vote.
  18. Synovia

Synovia Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Do you know anything about economics? Stocks have been dropping hard for about 6 months. They've continued on the trend they were already on.

SINCE ELECTION DAY? For f**ken real? Are you really that brainwashed?

Who was the president on election day? Who was the president the day after?
  19. ljuneau

ljuneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Most people on these boards. And many of the well-known radio talking heads. I remember many people complaining against the Perscription Drug bill. I know you'll mention Iraq, but in general many many conservatives are sick of both the Dems and Reps spending too much money and creating too much debt.

Who were they suppose to vote for? Kerry?

Many conservatives felt they had to vote for the lesser of two evils.
  20. ljuneau

ljuneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Dude, take a chill pill. Belichick fan is right. Obama has pushed forth a truckload of bills, policies, and plans over the past month. Nothing he has done has been encouraging to the market. He's just brought more uncertainty. You can't blame him for the recession, however he is doing nothing to give Americans confidence, rather just the opposite.