Welcome to PatsFans.com

How to loose the Dem Majority, Pelosi backs Murtha..

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Nov 16, 2006.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +828 / 27 / -33

Well it seems that the groundwork for '08 is already being laid, first really big faux pas is the John Murtha thing, Pelosi wants him to be House Majority Leader... there goes ridding the congress of corruption, welcome back the Republicans. While he is clear on his view of Iraq, he has a very muddied and questionable past. I thought the american electorate had spoken and voted for an effort to clean up DC and it pols.. this move makes no sense and is just the beginning of business as usual. Pelosi is not draining the swamp, just adding more alligators..

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/viewArticle.asp?articleID=16701

Americans gave the Democrats control of the Senate and the House for two main reasons: Disgust at the Republican?s ?Culture of Corruption? and anger at Bush?s mishandling of the Iraq War.

During the long campaign, Nancy Pelosi, repeatedly assured voters that she would ?drain the swamp.?

Instead of living up to her campaign promise, Pelosi is seeking to elevate the biggest alligator in the swamp to a position of power and influence.

Pelosi?s ill-advised decision to back John Murtha?s bid to become House majority leader, is undermining Democrat?s efforts to present themselves as more ethical than the Republican scoundrels they replaced.

2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,148 / 5 / -10

Good job 15, you said it much better than I could of, I would of said "Pelosi Murtha, two phony f-cking skunks"

Republican Crook -Bad
    Democrat Crook -Good

Pelosi is a Power Hungry vicious b!tch, far worse than Hillary.

3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +593 / 24 / -19

He's obviously a key person with regard to the Dems #1 issue: Bush's war on Iraq. Is he corrupt? Well, here's the take from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abscam

"Congressman John Murtha (D-PA) was not indicted or prosecuted. An excerpt of the FBI videotaped Murtha as saying, 'I'm not interested...at this point. [If] we do business for a while, maybe I'll be interested, maybe I won't.' to $50,000 cash right after Murtha had offered to provide names of businesses and banks in his district where money could be legally invested. Links to the actual videos of his involvement can be found at the following two links (Warning NSFW, Strong Language) and Full length versions of the tape show that the FBI undercover operative repeatedly attempted to offer Rep. Murtha money, whereby Rep. Murtha declined. The U.S. Attorneys Office declined prosecution of Mr. Murtha, reasoning that the Congressman's intent was to obtain investment in his district, the very premise of the FBI operation. Retired FBI Agents familiar with the investigation felt that Murtha was 'stringing along' a group of 'businessmen,' seeing whether they would 'put up or shut up' and invest in Western Pennsylvania. Mr. Murtha's district had been extremely hard hit economically. Full length viewing of the tape reveal Murtha citing prospective investment opportunities that could return '500 or 1000' miners to work.

"In November 1980, the Justice Department announced that Murtha would not face prosecution for his part in the scandal. In July 1981, the House ethics committee also chose not to file charges against Congressman Murtha, following a mostly party line vote, after which Republican E. Barrett Prettyman, Jr., the panel's special counsel, abruptly resigned in protest. House ethics rules require members to immediately report any bribe offers to the FBI."

I think it's hard to tell what's going on right now. Maybe Hoyer's allies or the war hawks are promoting the Abscam scandal in hope of derailing Murtha. I don't know enough about Murtha to say whether he's innocent or guilty of anything, but so far this story sounds like it's tainted with a lot of politics.

4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

Wilki is built by viewers, it is not gospel. I think the facts of the Abscan Scandal speak for themselves. Not surprised Frauders would defend a corupt Dem. I think we can all agree that had Murtha's scandal happened with todays media prominence, Murtha would be forced to resign. But I digress.
    GJA I must commend you for your objectivity. Lets remember that the Dems cleaned house in the election for specific reasons. Furthermore they won majority in the Senate by few public votes in 3 elections. The people spoke, but not for the Dems as much as against the GOP and the current state of politics. I've been guardedly optomistic about the candidates who've won on the Dem side. They are sensible old school democrats. I've said that the loony left (Pelosi & Co.) would be critical in determining if the peoples wishes will be carried out. Will she be lefty loon and thus drag the new moderates with her, or will she be people first and push forth a moderate agenda. So far she is 0 for 1. I'm glad to see Murtha lost by 60. Hope the moderates now lean on Pelosi to be people first.

Still mystified at how Pelosi could want Murtha as leader.

5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +593 / 24 / -19

Actually, Republichack, I wasn't defending Murtha. While I like his strong opposition to the Iraq War, on most other issues, including abortion, he's quite conservative. But, the fact that all this corruption stuff got attention at this late date made me think it had something to do with politicking. At any rate, Hoyer won, and I suppose that's a good thing, but I know even less about him than I know about Murtha, except he's supposedly a little more liberal.

6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,148 / 5 / -10

"Mr Murtha, we have $50,000 for you"

"Not now, maybe later" :D

Democrat Crook -Good Guy
    Republican Crook -Bad Guy

I'm always chasing rainbows
    Watching clouds drifting by:eek: