PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How to handle Opposing Safeties

Status
Not open for further replies.

satz

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Right now the big issue we are facing is ,one of the safety is playing in the box giving a extra blocker against the run and one safety over one side of the field where the most WR are stacked.

Non of the safetys are more than 10-15 yd from the LOS. this is putting a tremendous pressure of offence as they cannot run effectively or pass to short underneath passes as in flooded zones.

what do you think we need to move those safeties back ?.

tate has been a disappoint to say the least , do you think we will see price on the active 45 next?.

Last edited:
Forget moving them back. Go play action and move them towards the LOS and away from Branch/Welker/Hernandez/Gronk/Tate

Yeah, the big thing is having the threat of a running game and being able to run play-action. That plays into them being pretty strong at TE.

thats especially a problem when a 4 man rush gives the QB no time to throw

if its normal, and the QB has enough time to throw the ball when a 4 man rush is coming, then those safeties will get burned

they can get burned by either tate, or hernandez, or even branch at this point

dont worry about it so much, i dont expect to see the O line do as bad as they did last week for the rest of the season

I agree with Alp. I don't think you will see the safeties playing up as much as you have over the past two weeks. Minny's vaunted front line is showing some age this season. They only have 6 sacks and they didn't pressure Manning much last night. Plus they get the dreaded Monday night away game followed by a road Sunday game. This is something the great Polian wanted to end because it wasn't fair. :rolleyes:

They do however have the 13th ranked passing defense, so all will not be gravy.

But to the OP there are many ways we can push the safeties back. You can flood the zone and run someone across his face with a short 7 route while running a deep 7 route behind him. You can go trips to the TE side forcing the FS to roll to that side. And of course if you go overtop of the FS once and find success he will be back deep all day.

If you don't believe that our WR can get deep on a play action pass (I am skeptical until I see it done). There are still other ways to move the ball. Attempt to run, this will bring the safeties up even closer. Then when the safeties are biting in the same manner a linebacker would, you hit them with end arounds (we have seen about one of these a game with good success), and screen plays.

In the end I think the Pats will end up taking a shot over the top with Tate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back