Welcome to PatsFans.com

How to dodge $500 Million In Social Security And Medicare Taxes

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

This is whats wrong with our nation.

Cronies make laws for company.
    Company gets no bid contract worth BILLIONS.
    Company employes workers through shell companies offshore.
    Company avoids paying taxes.
    Employees avoid paying taxes.

YOUR TAX DOLLARS just went into the hands of cronies for a huge profit. and the United States sees none of this tax revenue.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    http://thinkprogress.org/2008/03/06/kbr-taxes-cheney/
    -------------------------------------------------------------

No private contractor has financially profited from the Iraq war more than Kellogg Brown & Root (KBR), which until last year was a subsidiary of Halliburton. The firm currently has more than 21,000 employees in Iraq, and between 2004 and 2006, received more than $16 billion in government contracts — far more than any other corporation.

Yet KBR hasn’t been passing on these enormous profits to American taxpayers or even its own employees, thanks to a plan that Vice President Cheney helped establish. Today, the Boston Globe reports that KBR has avoided paying more than $500 million “in federal Medicare and Social Security taxes by hiring workers through shell companies” based in the Cayman Islands. A look at the costs to KBR employees:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  2. PatsFanInMaine

PatsFanInMaine Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Here is a company that provides support services to our men and women in uniform in hot spots though out the world and the liberals are concerned about taxes? Nice knowing where the priororties lie..

3. ArmyPatsFan

ArmyPatsFan On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

They use a tax loophole that needs to be fixed....this occurs amongst alot of companies...not just KBR. I would support the Tax Haven law based off what I know of it.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/03/04/tax.havens/

As you can read there are 1000s of companies doing this...not just KBR...so keep it in perspective. The globe article was a good one though.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  4. scott c

scott c On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

But are they the best companies for the job?Could it be done better and cheaper by others?We may never know........

5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +816 / 27 / -33

Could not agree more, this stuff goes on all the time and all we are doing is adding debt to our and our children.. there is no reason why they do not pay taxes, war profiteering comes to mind..

What can you be thinking, with this line it might be ok for a person in the military not to pay taxes as he or she is defending this country.. the reality is that fringe benefits, taxes etc are built right into the contract. KBR is scamming this country big time and profiting from the war.. they didn't even have to bid and cannot play by the rules???

6. ArmyPatsFan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Lost me here...military do not pay taxes when they are in a war zone. Anyway I agree that KBR has no reason to not pay SS or Med for their workers....and feel pretty bad for workers who are caught in the "who do we work for" lawsuits now. You can call it war profiteering if you want..its businesses trying to make a profit......this specific example is for Iraq...but again there are 1000s of companies increasing their profit by doing the same thing. I do have a problem with the fact that KBR could bid lower by doing this to win a contract.....

7. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +816 / 27 / -33

The second part of this quote had to do with Comments from Pats Fan in Maine.. not you I lumped it together, sorry for the confusion.. $500 million can buy a lot of stuff.. to further this argument this may have been one of the famous "no bid" contracts.

8. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +454 / 12 / -14

Not many companies do this sort of work. Are you aware of alternatives?

9. jack

jack 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So your for no bid contracts and tax breaks?

10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

not sure you know ALL about KBR. Here is a nice touching article about your little happy company:

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=8258

KBR, or Kellogg Brown & Root, was a subsidiary of the Halliburton Corporation until 2007, when bad publicity and indictments against KBR forced Halliburton to sell its shares in KBR.

and seriously? you are using the TROOPS in this? I don't care if KBR makes flowers for homeless orphans, they still need to play fair.

11. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +454 / 12 / -14

I am for getting a company who can do the work, and gives good value for the money. I don't know enough to know if thisis the case with this contract. I worked with engineers in the construction industry and they are one of the few companies equipped for this sort of work.

12. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +816 / 27 / -33

So you are justifying the non payment of social security and medicare taxes, the end justifies the means..

13. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +454 / 12 / -14

I didn't comment on this at all. I don't know enough about the reasons.

14. ArmyPatsFan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This loophole aside...KBR does provide a service and the ability to project and build quickly. I am not sure what other companies have the infrastructure/logistics/experience needed. I worked several KBR contracts in support of SFOR (Bosnia) and what they were able to do there and how fast it got done was truly amazing...and quality wise very good.