Welcome to PatsFans.com

How to deal with an uncapped year

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by BradfordPatsFan, May 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradfordPatsFan

BradfordPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Mike Lombardi of SI.com has a great article on how he would deal with an ucapped year.

It is clear that he has worked with Belichick by some of his thoughts...

A certain, precious few players are untouchable.

The term "football-lifer" comes to mind.

BB's blueprint, be the best 1-53 in the league, not just 1-20.

Uh huh. I think we've seen this before.

True BB, only control what you can, do your best otherwise.

In short, if this is the best way to go, BB will have this team very competitive as he is likely already laying the groundwork for dealing with an uncapped situation.

I didn't see this posted already. If need be, please merge.
    Last edited: May 28, 2008
  2. JoePats

JoePats Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Excellent article...Was unaware that there is a possiblity (however remote) that they lose the draft. That would be further idiocy, but is probably just another poison pill. Actually the lack of a draft would favor good teams. But either way, worth the read.
  3. Sean Pa Patriot

Sean Pa Patriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Maybee we should ask booger head john clayton since he has all the awnsers on his column and how we will be not good in 2010
  4. jbb9s

jbb9s Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

where is this notion of no draft coming from? I don't see how that is connected to the salary structure. In many ways, the draft and the salaries of Reggie Bush, Matt Ryan and the Longs make the draft more of how it should be: draft the best player available in reverse order of how good you are without hamstringing the salary cap of your team for the next 5 years.
  5. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

That is lost as well in another year...NOT sure exactly when, but there are many poison pills in it all..which is WHY it will be solved way before that...
  6. LuthierJr

LuthierJr Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Couldn't we be just like the sox/yankees/tigers and outspend other teams to get our guys?
  7. Vern

Vern Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The owners already have figured out the best way to deal with an uncapped year - lock the players out. The owners can't let the "cap out of the bag" or it would risk being gone for good. To keep the cap, they'll either work out a new deal, or institute a lock out.
  8. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

The draft, like pooled revenue and revenue sharing and a salary cap, is only permissible under a league's anti-trust exemption because it is collectively bargained. The last scheduled draft is therefore 2011 under the expiring CBA. So unless they enter a new CBA that includes provisions for a college draft there would not be one. Obviously there will be a new CBA with some union at some point. The alternative would be the league no longer functioning as a collective and all teams on their own to sign any player not under contract to another team (which is what all college players would be - FA).
  9. MoLewisrocks

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

While I had heard some pundits elude to that a while back, the CBA appears to preclude a work stoppage by either side prior to 2011.
  10. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0

11. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I'll keep my eyes on Pats draft next year because it'll be a good indication how BB approaches 2010.
  12. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +439 / 5 / -1

Well, there are a couple of issues that I have heard which teams will have to prepare for that will affect uncapped year strategies.

First, Mike Florio (ok, not the best source) reported a few weeks back that the top 5 or 10 teams from 2009 will have a hard cap in 2010. That goes against the whole uncapped year thing, but I guess was implemented to avoid the CBA to not be worked out. Basically, whatever money you have tied to players going into the new football year is all the money you have to spend if you fit into those top teams. So if the Pats win the Super Bowl and they have $100 million in salary, that is all they can spend. To add free agents, the Pats would need to cut players and still stay under $100 million.

Which brings me to the second issue, I hear that by opting out of the CBA, the 30% rule has been nulified (verification anyone?). The 30% rule means that a player's salary cannot increase more than 30% from year to year.

This would be huge for teams who expect to be top teams. Because expect in 2009 for a lot of players who would typically get one year deals (Fernando Bryant and Victor Hobson for example) to get two year deals with huge numbers in the second year. It would be the only way to circumvent the hard cap for the top teams in the league. Without the 30% rule, teams could give these players ridiculous salaries in the second year like $20 million and then cut them after the start of the calendar year to get that cap space.

Now I am not 100% sure if this is the case for either of these rules, but if they are you can expect a lot of teams to do something like this. At least the smart ones will.
  13. Miguel

Miguel Patriots Salary Cap Guru PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +186 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

I read ProFootballTalk.Com every day and Mike Florio never said such a thing.
  14. MoLewisrocks

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Florio posted some information that was sent to the media yesterday detailing some of the changes that will result from the opt out. The 30% rule is in effect under an expiring CBA so there would be no rationale to nullify it. Amortization remains at 6 years for 2008 and drops to 5 years in 2009. That is good news for those of us who did not extend players prior to the opt out. There are enough other restrictions to deal with.

Most notably this seems to confirm that players will have to have 6 years of service for FA in 2010. The June 1 rule is out in 2009 so any player cut will have his entire dead cap hit the 2009 cap. NLTBE and LTBE will be recalculated in season and not pushed forward or credited in advance. There will be restrictions on the use of guaranteed salary (so you can't guarantee a salary windfall in 2010 or beyond to circumvent the remaining capped seasons) and limits on the number (from 8 down to 3) of veteran incentives and all incentives which must be tied to playing time.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2008
  15. castlelong1

castlelong1 Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Maybe he's thinking of Peter F'ing King. Not a cap, but FA restrictions.
  16. jmt57

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0

I believe this is the question being alluded to previously, and the answer.

Q. What is the Final Eight Plan?

A. During the uncapped year, the eight clubs that make the divisional playoffs in the previous season have additional restrictions that limit their ability to sign Unrestricted Free Agents from other clubs. In general, the four clubs participating in the Championship Games are limited in the number of free agents that they may sign; the limit is determined by the number of their own free agents signing with other clubs. For the four clubs that lose in the Divisional playoffs, in addition to having the ability to sign free agents based on the number of their own free agents signing with other clubs, they may also sign players based on specific financial parameters.
  17. Rob0729

Ratings:
    +439 / 5 / -1

Sorry, it was Peter King who said that and it was the top eight teams that will have a hard cap (at least the NFL's version):

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/05/20/react/index.html
    Last edited: May 31, 2008
  18. Rob0729

Ratings:
    +439 / 5 / -1

I heard the 30% rule being revoked on the radio and can't remember who said it. Obviously they were misinformed. Good to know though.
  19. jmt57

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0

They were probably thinking about Matt Ryan and his contract. Arthur Blank got blankety-blanked when he felt compelled to sign Ryan before the opt-out, as the rule applies to current players and not rookies. What should have been obvious to him was 8th grade math; 30% of zero is zero. A percentage increase applies only to current players, and not rookies - they don't have a contract yet!
  20. Miguel

Miguel Patriots Salary Cap Guru PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +186 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.