Welcome to PatsFans.com

How to Cook Like in the Great Depression

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Nov 20, 2009.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,010 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

How to Cook Like in the Great Depression - Personal Finance Advice
    YouTube - Great Depression Cooking Ep:3 - Poorman's Meal

YouTube - Great Depression Cooking Ep:6 - Depression Breakfast

YouTube - Great Depression Cooking Ep:7 - Poorman's Feast

[​IMG]

I have an extreme fondness of the elderly. As a youngster i would show up early to the public golf course and join in with some old timers for a round. My age group was sleeping the previous night off and I really enjoyed playing with the retired dudes. I tell my wife and kids I got a better education form the old men than I did in college.;););)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  2. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Here's one I like:

Hot Dog Stew

pack of hot dogs
    can of stewed tomatoes
    white rice

Cut the dogs into pieces, brown in a pan with butter, add tomatoes, serve over rice. You get the supermarket brand dogs and tomato and you're talking about 10 cents per serving. A family favorite from when I was a kid. Add hot sauce to increase the awesomeness.

3. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +2,010 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

I used to do a 1/2 pack of dogs and a can of:
    [​IMG]

4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +824 / 27 / -33

How about white bread, with butter then sprinkled with sugar.. that used to be a favorite when I was a young'un... talk about crap.. it was sunbeam bread also... if you had any left over, used to roll it into little balls and go fishing.

5. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

OMG!

I just had a flashback to 1974!

6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,143 / 5 / -10

!937
    My House
    Erie St
    Cambridge Ma

Depression food:
    10 PM myself and several other kids would go down to the Wilson Meat Packing Co on Waverly St beside Fort Washington, one kid would hide behind the trucks as a lookout while the rest of us broke the seal on a freight car that had just been dropped for morning unloading, we had a small Push Cart, whatever was visable was what we stole usually "Daisy Hams" we would quickly take as many as we needed, we then headed down the tracks to an alley that brought us out onto Albany St and then home.

I would walk into the house and say to my mother "look what I got, we moved some lumber for a guy down the tracks and he gave us some hams" my mother would go into the bedroom and cry she knew damn well I stole them but the only other thing we had in the house to eat was Oatmeal and a can of evaporated milk, rice was used a lot in those days, my mother would mix three or four cans of Chicken soup little chunks of my "Hot Hams" and a whole bunch of rice that would last us a few days, in the cool or real cold weather to save 10 cents instead of buying ice for the ice box my father attached an Orange Crate outside one of the kitchen windows to keep leftovers and milk in for a day or two, we had no electricity during the day but as soon as it got dark we ran an extension cord out into the hallway and plugged it into the hall light, this was a large tenement building and they had to light their hallways and stairs.

In the winter it was warmer out in the street than it was in my house, we all wore our winter jackets in the house until the old oil burner heated up and the sun came through the windows.

Spam was another depression food, Sunday dinner a can of Spam and Cornflakes.

Dec 7 came along, The Japs bombed Pearl Harbor within 6 months we all thought we were millionaires, our fathers all went back to work......

I visited some friends last summer in Cambridge we all took our canes and limped down to Fort Washington by those old Railroad Tracks, the new people have turned Ft Washington into a "Dog Sh!tting Park" they all bring their dogs in there and turn them loose, the first thing the dogs do is start Sh!tting and Fighting then the Dog People start fighting over their dogs, while the people are fighting the dogs stop fighting and start having sex then the "New People" all start running around with little baggies picking up "Dog Sh!t" some of the dogs have Diarrhea, have you ever watched a whacko try to pick up Dog Diarrhea with a baggie it’s a riot.

I looked down the street, the old Meat Packing building is gone but I never forgot how good those hams tasted, we were always stealing hot dogs and right there in Fort Washington we used to light a fire in a barrel and eat hot dogs and potatoes, during the depression you were lucky if you lived near Railroad Tracks there was always lots of Stuff to be found or stolen.

The best Depression Food was to mix everything you had in the house and then fry it, I have eaten things my mother made that were delicious but we only had them once, she forgot what she put in it.

7. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +480 / 11 / -7

#91 Jersey

[​IMG]

The best meal i ever ate, Spam cooked in olive oil in cast iron frying pan over an open fire at a camp ground......Of course i was starving.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  8. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +2,010 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

I used to do butter and ketchup when I was a kid ... was good, good, good.

9. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +2,010 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

Everytime I see Spam I remember this Monty Python clip ... a great clip. Eggs and Spam ... :p

YouTube - Monty Python - Spam ...

10. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +2,010 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  11. alvinnf

alvinnf In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +16 / 2 / -0

This is really a great story...... Perspective can be tough to keep sometimes....

12. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +571 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

My mother still likes that! She also likes spaghetti spinkled with butter & sugar....I guess butter & sugar were pretty popular back in da day!

13. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +824 / 27 / -33

Yea it is cheap and really bad for you, so it has to be good..... it may have even been "oleo"... which is probably worse.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  14. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,143 / 5 / -10

Rice with butter and sugar, I still have it once in awhile....

15. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +591 / 24 / -19

Good story, Harry Boy, about growing up in the Depression. Good thing there's a statute of limitations, or some conservative might report you for stealing.

16. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

[​IMG]

Let them eat cake!

17. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,143 / 5 / -10

God what a horrible wretched women.

18. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,143 / 5 / -10

It was a strange feeling going back there after all these years I spent a lot of time in that little Park (Ft Washington) I met my wife there when we all used to hang around the Barrel Fires she lived right across the street from the Meat Packing Co if I had known her when we were raiding the freight cars I would have left some Hot Dogs on her porch................