Welcome to PatsFans.com

How to be a Yorkie (for shakadave)

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by Mike the Brit, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +713 / 2 / -2

Disable Jersey

Actually, there’s not a lot to it. You just have to be stubborn, opinionated and think that something that comes from Yorkshire is automatically better than anything from anywhere else.

There is another bit of our reputation that comes in the following motto:

Hear all, see all, say nowt,
    Eat all, sup all, pay nowt.
    And, if tha ever does owt for nowt, do it for tha’sen!

I won’t go into all the rivalries and loyalties. Suffice it to say that we all unite against Lancashire. They, of course, will try and argue that Lancashire is superior and, in some areas, for reasons of recent historical accident, it may be hard to show them how wrong they are (soccer comes to mind). But don’t worry. If things get difficult, change the subject to the weather. (How do you forecast the weather in Manchester? Easy. If you can see the hills it’s going to rain. If you can’t, it’s raining.)

On the other hand, we both pull together against those from the south (referred to, I regret to say, as “southern poofs”).

If you were very keen, you could learn our wonderful Yorkshire anthem, “On Ilkla moor bar t’at”. There are a large number of verses and the message is more or less the same as the motto above but it is very good fun to sing, especially late at night with a well lubricated throat.

Here is a web site with the words and an MP3 of the tune:

http://ingeb.org/songs/wherehas.html

I couldn’t track down an MP3 of it being sung, but the tune is actually an old hymn tune and here is a recording of it being used for the carol “While shepherds watched their flocks by night”.

http://www.dwsmp3.com/shepherds.htm

Learn that and you'll be able to pop into The Slaughtered Sheep for a pint and join the conversation (anyone remember An American Werewolf in London?) Then again, you may not want to ...

Last edited: Jul 21, 2006
  2. Clonamery

Clonamery PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -1

Outside of the Yorkshire bit, I think you've just described the behaviour of most Americans (and for further evidence check out the Political Forum).

Mike, how far is Yorkshire from Blackpool, say in railway hours?

3. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +713 / 2 / -2

Disable Jersey

Yes, but they can't both be right, can they? ;)

I'd guess it was 90 or so miles. I've just looked it up on the National Rail Enquiries site and you can get from Blackpool to Leeds, for example, in just over two hours.

Blackpool ... have you seen the movie Funny Bones (Jerry Lewis, Lee Evans)? That would be a good entry for the Box Office Flops thread.

4. Clonamery

Clonamery PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -1

Can't recall much of 'Funny Bones.' But don't feel like you have to fill me in.