PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How To Address the Need at Linebacker

Status
Not open for further replies.
nickw308810 said:
I would like a round 1 LB just because there doesn't seem like many better options at 21. If we trade up or down we can get away from LB, but at 21 it seems the most likely. I do feel that there are plenty of mid to late round guys that could come in and provide youth and depth at LB and STs. Maybe even push TBC or Beisel/Claridge for a starting spot. I mention Claridge just because everyone else thinks he can be ready, but as of now I would assume that Beisel is miles ahead of him. If we could get a playmaker on offense (Addai or Chad Jackson) or even Michael Huff at S, I would rather go that route. Though if we do go LB Bobby Carpenter seems to be the guy because of his versatility, though I think he is the best fit for ILB.

I think our choices at 21 (or a little up or down from there) would be OLB (could be a college DE of course) ILB, corner (if you are picking in round 1 and the BPA is a corner, that is hard to pass on, no matter what you have, and we dont have a good of corners that would keep a #1 on the bench ofr a real long time) or possibly WR.

I dont see us going OL because we have a young group locked up. Who would be NOT part of the future starting 5 if we went OL in round 1? I absolutely dont see DL. No way on QB. I don't know if BB will ever take a RB round 1. WR makes sense, but BBs model for WR seems very different than most teams, so I dont think he would see value at 21, when he probably has a guy who fits his critieria just as well as the guy who other teams would take at 21 that would be there at 52.

If you look at this pick 3-5 years out, and assume there is an equal player at every position on the field, it would seem that RB, WR, ILB, OLB, and CB would have the most impact. I eliminated RB, and almost eliminated WR because I think BB feels there is little difference in those players from 21 to 100 (at least in the certainty of them really ending up being good players)

patsfan13 said:
When we're in the nickel, We have 4 LB who can rush Colvin, Vrabel, Bruschi & TBC, 3 of the 4 will be in. We are fine at LB for passing situations. I would like a OLB for development & depth this year.
3 will be in ONLY if BB does not use guys like Green and Warren as 3rd down DEs. Colvin and TBC are in a 3pt stance on 3rd down. Vrabel CAN play both, but we only need 1 LB on the field who is actually in a LB position in the dime and 2 in the nickel.

Pats726 said:
I think Phifer was a much better LB than many think. TJ. I believe was as well, but obviously more in stopping the run and plugging the middle. Beisel is far from that, although I know he was brought in more as a TB type LB. The team CAN have a 4th LB of lesser ability and get by. My thoughts are no NEED..maybe not, but should the team take an opportunity when it is there and use it to restock the LB corp?? They have a fairly low pick for a playoff team andit concides with a LOT of talent at LB. My thought is that this IS the year to do that. Granted it doesn't HAVE to, but wouldn't that be smart?? How are the LBs on 07 and 08??? Not as strong??

Phifer played VERY well here his first 2 years. But when he was signed the expectations were VERY low. He was signed to be a 3rd down cover LB and not much more. My point being that we odnt need a first round pick to find a guy who may turn out to contribute more at LB than expected.

I know most disagree with me, but TJ was horrible against the run in the BB era. He was FANTASTIC in the mid-late 90s before his injuries.

In the BB era, he was benched in 01, almost cut in 02. Played some more in 03 and 04, but when I watched tape the only tackles he was making were 5-8 yards downfield on plays run right at him. I loved the 1996-1997 TJ, and felt he was the best run stopping LB in the NFL. From 01-04 he was actually a liability. (Although he did turn into a decent pass rusher making some plays up the middle).
If we are lookiing for a 1996 Ted Johnson, he will be hard to find. If we are looking for a 2003 Ted Johnson, it wont be hard.

I would LOVE a first round LB, if there is one that fits.

Just remember that what BB wants in a LB and what 90% of other teams want are very different. Other teams are looking for speed to chase plays. Guys who can outrun plays when they arent blocked. BB needs LBs to TAKE ON BLOCKERS. Those are entirely different skills.

If everyone else builds their draft board based on one skillset and you build yours based on another, there is usually going to be great value in the middle rounds at that position.
Of course there are players that have both skillsets, and that is what we want. AJ Hawk will be long gone but the LBs available at 21 may make sense for us.
Just remember that the LBs available at 52 and in the 3rd are CLOSER TO THE GUYS AT 21 for our system than they are for someone elses. Supply and demand. The demand for 'our skillset' is low in round 1, so the supply for us is higher in the mid rounds.

AndyJohnson said:
IT IS NOT WHO YOU DRAFT IT IS WHAT YOU DO WITH THEM AFTER DRAFTING THEM.
Ain't that the truth. People always talk about who a team drafts but never about how well they coach and use them after draft day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back