PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How this team differs from last years...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNathanDrake

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
1. Stronger running game. Beat up the opposing defense. The more tired they are from trying to stop the run, the easier it will be for Brady to pass. With Vereen, Ridley, BJGE, and Woodhead, there will be plenty of running this year. BB didn't draft 2 RB's for no reason. They'll also be used to Kill the clock.

2. Tougher Defense / More Veteran defense / Attacking Defense. Shaun Ellis, Haynesworth, Mark Anderson, Carter. Those 4 alone bring a ton more veteran leadership to a team that was depleted on the front lines last year. Pats have gotten 'bullied' in the past 2 playoff loses. These additions give us more toughness. It's clear that BB also wants to attack opposing QB's more with these signings.

Last edited:
1. Stronger running game. Beat up the opposing defense. The more tired they are from trying to stop the run, the easier it will be for Brady to pass. With Vereen, Ridley, BJGE, and Woodhead, there will be plenty of running this year. BB didn't draft 2 RB's for no reason. They'll also be used to Kill the clock.

2. Tougher Defense / More Veteran defense / Attacking Defense. Shaun Ellis, Haynesworth, Mark Anderson, Carter. Those 4 alone bring a ton more veteran leadership to a team that was depleted on the front lines last year. Pats have gotten 'bullied' in the past 2 playoff loses. These additions give us more toughness. It's clear that BB also wants to attack opposing QB's more with these signings.

C) It's unlikely that our entire defensive line will end up on the IR again

C) It's unlikely that our entire defensive line will end up on the IR again
I agree but ironically we got older and more injury prone on the DL.
Luckier with injuries is hopefully part of the equation.

I expect this team to be one of the top 3 offenses in the league.The defense is where i am waiting to see what occurs.

What i hope has changed from last year is that when the playoffs arrive the team doesnt feel things have been so easy it is invincible.

The common thread of the 2 biggest playoff upsets of the BB ERA, last years Jets game and the game not be mentioned, were that they were the only times I can think of where I really think the players felt there was no way they could lose.

Last year was coming off the destruction of 45 to 3, and the other was supposed to be the coronation ceremony.

Given that most of these players were here last year, and most of the new ones are veterans looking for a ring, hopefully we are OK.

Remove that, and we will be hard to stop.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's definetly pressure on this team to win in the playoffs this season.

I expect this team to be one of the top 3 offenses in the league.The defense is where i am waiting to see what occurs.

**** top 3...i'm fairly certain we will outscore every team and by a wide margin.

We just added a top target at WR,brought in a promising OL,Mankins will be a happy camper,TE's will have another year in the system. Added some promising young RB's.

This team will cruise in the regular season barring injuries. It's playoff time when we need the D to step up.

I agree there will be more emphasis on the run. Lee Smith and the new RBs point to that. If Lee can truly be a younger Crumpler in the blocking game it will be great.

I think this D will be harder to run against while at the same time generating more pressure on passing downs. Obviously thats better in every aspect. I don't know about the leadership point. Wilfork and Mayo really stepped up, they might not do the whole Ray Lewis routine but from everything we hear those 2 are more than enough of the leaders we need. Having some age and experience back in the D, a long with our returning players with a year of extra experience and some key players like Bodden returning will certainly help. If we can avoid the unprecedented amount of injured starters this season we'll be in incredible shape.

I honestly see upgrades at:
Backup QB - always important, hopefully never needed, Hoyer is great and Mallet looks like the real thing, at least from what we saw in 1 game
RBbC - When you take this approach you need good, young RB's, Ridley really showed up o Thursday
OL - Just by resigning our own, making them happy, and have apparently very good depth returning + Solder looked great
WR - Price looks to have come to his own, Ocho can only help in my opinion
DL - Added some true pass rushing ends, Haynesworth in the middle with VW, not a lot more to say
DB - Chung should hopefully be a year better, BM is in a contract year (correct?), Bodden returned, McCourty with a years worth of experience

The only thing I don't think we improved at was OLB, Mayo is great, we all know this, but BB apparently wants him in the middle, and the other 2 great looking LB's are figured to play the same role, Spikes and Fletcher. Have we improved at all at OLB? OLB and maybe depth at Safety are my only true concerns with this team this year.

I think we are much better off than last year. That said, I don't know if our record will improve, I think our offense will be just as good, maybe better, defense will certainly be better, the thing that has me ...confused I guess, would be the turnover differential.

How can re replicate that? More pressure MIGHT mean picks, but honestly, last years turnover differential was the best since the 80's redskins, TB also had 2 or 3 luckily dropped interceptions, and we can't rely on never fumbling again. I can see the interceptions for our defense remaining high, we have a secondary with a thing for picking it off, but I don't think our offense can maintain control as well as they did last year, it was a truly incredible thing with how well we handled the ball last year.

Last edited:

Agreed, regression to the mean etc. etc.

This team differs because:

1. Last year they were the 2010-2011 Patriots

2. This year they are the 2011-2012 Patriots.

Oh and there are some new players and such.

This thread should be how we think this team will be different from last years team, only one preseason game, and he starters did not play.

This edition of the Patriots team is better for several reasons.

The Defense is older with some experience, now. It has defensive speed where you need youth and speed, in the linebacking and most of all in the secondary.

It has a better pass rush, even without waiting to seeing it confirmed. Older veteran talent on the DL insures that. But that is not the only reason. There is lots of DL youth too, and it is unlikely they will all be injured, as we go into the postseason.

Older vets can compete if they are not over used and worn out. The over all depth insures that their snaps can be measured and controlled tokeep them fresh.

The Offense is better. Volmer has another year of experience at ORT as does Conolly at RG. Plus the depth appears better with Solder, and Cannon plus the anonymous ones like Ohrnberger, Levoir, Manieri etc.

The RB picture is more secure with Ridley and Faulk, and maybe Vareen.

The reciever picture is more defined. Gronk and Hernandez are not rookies anymore, but established veteran rising stars. Neither is Ocho, nor Taylor, nor Edelman nor Tate.

Brady probably cannot have a better season, but it is not needed. While Hoyer insures better depth as he matures as a backup QB.

Finally, it is evident BB feels he has recreated a true, solid, Super Bowl contender; and he is bringing in vets and is "Going For It".

Agreed. And it would be awfully nice if our HOF QB could have two career years in a row, but that's asking a lot! He had one in 2007 and another last year. Sure would be good if he can go back to back to MVP land.

Older doesnt necessarily make someone injury prone. Shaun Ellis for example has stayed healthy despite his age. Meanwhile youngster Ron Brace seems to always be injured.

Older doesnt necessarily make someone injury prone. Shaun Ellis for example has stayed healthy despite his age. Meanwhile youngster Ron Brace seems to always be injured.

Yep, and Carter has played at least 15 games in 9 of his 10 seasons.

Anyone else think we will see a HEAVY DOSE of Vereen and Ridley this year? The same way we did with Gronk and Hernandez last year. Rookies are expected to perform like vets and I think we're going to POUND THE BALL to save Brady's shoulder/elbow from being overworked.

How does it differ? They are better

Yep, and Carter has played at least 15 games in 9 of his 10 seasons.

Good point.

Plus our huge depth will keep a healthy rotation to nobody is overworked.

DE - Anderson, Carter, Cunningham, Ellis, Wright, maybe Moore

DT - Wilfork, Haynesworth, G.Warren, Ellis, Wright, Brace, Richard/Pryor/Deaderick (i think only one of those 3 make the final cut)

it's a great rotation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes