Welcome to PatsFans.com

How the Tea Party ideas are making kids stupid

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +267 / 10 / -11

14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools | Mother Jones

Under Gov. Bobby Jindal's voucher program, considered the most sweeping in the country, Louisiana is poised to spend tens of millions of dollars to help poor and middle-class students from the state's notoriously terrible public schools receive a private education.

(Some examples) ...

1. Dinosaurs and humans probably hung out: "Bible-believing Christians cannot accept any evolutionary interpretation. Dinosaurs and humans were definitely on the earth at the same time and may have even lived side by side within the past few thousand years."—Life Science, 3rd ed., Bob Jones University Press, 2007

2. Dragons were totally real: "[Is] it possible that a fire-breathing animal really existed? Today some scientists are saying yes...."—Life Science, 3rd ed., Bob Jones University Press, 2007

5. Slave masters were nice guys: "A few slave holders were undeniably cruel. Examples of slaves beaten to death were not common, neither were they unknown. The majority of slave holders treated their slaves well."—United States History for Christian Schools, 2nd ed., Bob Jones University Press, 1991

6. The KKK was A-OK: "[The Ku Klux] Klan in some areas of the country tried to be a means of reform, fighting the decline in morality and using the symbol of the cross. Klan targets were bootleggers, wife-beaters, and immoral movies...."—United States History for Christian Schools, 3rd ed., Bob Jones University Press, 2001

2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

If the choice comes down to being forced to pay into a system where children are indoctrinated in the gubmit lemon factory that is the public education system, or provide a voucher where parents can get involved in their childrens education, by having the ability to put their kids in a private school of their choice, I'll take the voucher system every day, and twice on sunday. Does that mean I condone what's taught in every private school? Of course not. Ultimately, it's the parents who should determine what's best for their kids.

3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +668 / 2 / -9

Anything is better than the sh!t some of the public schools (mostly big city) teach the kids today, most of it is Left Wing Garbage.

"do you have any homework today dear"
    "yes mom, i have to practice masturbating"
    "oh thats good dear, daddy can show you how he does it"
    "is that all you have"
    "no i have write "god is full of sh!t" 500 times"
    "all right dear, when your done you can watch MSNBC with us"
    "ok mom"

4. Patters

Ratings:
    +267 / 10 / -11

I don't see how you introduce American culture and values when our tax dollars are being used to fund everything from Islamic madrassas to Christian fundamentalist schools. Frankly, the one thing most of us have in common is that we were indoctrinated in a common educational system. Replacing public schools with vouchers is a sure way of destroying America as we know it. It will just take time. That said, voucher systems are cheaper, and help the parents of middle class kids at the expense of poor kids whose parents cannot usually afford private schools with voucher money alone. In my opinion, public charter schools are the way to go.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  5. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

Which culture and which values?

Yours and the NEA or their parents?

6. Patters

Ratings:
    +267 / 10 / -11

We are all part of the American culture, and those of us who went to public schools have more in common than not, even when we disagree politically.

7. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

No there are differing versions of American culture and what is important. I don't want kids getting the H Zinn version of culture from the NEA.

8. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

As opposed to being alcoholic, wife-beating pedophiles like the Democrats?

9. Patters

Ratings:
    +267 / 10 / -11

Never mind the fact that school is far more than history class, the reality is that students never got the Howard Zinn version. Labor history is not a big part of the curriculum, and the main ways that history classes have changed (and my brother-in-law was a history teacher at the h.s. level up until about 5 years ago) is that History now includes info about African-Americans, women, and other minorities. Labor history, which Zinn talks a lot about, is not part of the curriculum as a rule. What specifically are you talking about?

10. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,073 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

Louisiana has one of the most under performing public school systems in the country. Not sure this is the right solution but the union that is fighting this has been dropping the ball for a very long time. None of the liberal media outlets pontificating on this story is mentioning this fact.

Louisiana ranked 45th worst in country ...
    http://www.statemaster.com/graph/edu_bes_edu_ind-education-best-educated-index

However the liberal talking points is to attack the plan ... a plan btw that is of choice not of force.

A plan where good teachers will be rewarded and bad teachers will be canned.

The unions went to the liberal media and sent out the attack dogs ... patters took the bait.

11. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

We're not all part of American culture and we don't have more in common than not? Because that's what Patters said.

if you actually believe what you wrote here, you are part of the problem.

As for "culture" -- when it comes to history and science, how about facts? That doesn't mean that America is evil. It also doesn't mean that we pretend that slaveholders were kind to their slaves, that we didn't kill millions of the natives who lived here before us or that there is any evidence for dinosaurs and humans co-existing.

12. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

13. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

Here is an essay from a person I used to work for. I agree with the substance of the article. The Part that is applies to this discussion is the following:

Enemies

The enemy in the essay are 'progressives'.
    I recommend the entire essay.

14. Patters

Ratings:
    +267 / 10 / -11

That's awful. Why do you believe that? Which things do you object to? Chemistry? Biology? English? Phys Ed? Math? Or just the 45 minute history class, that focuses mostly on ... history! What kind of a nutty, stupid school did you go to to leave you with those beliefs? Where in the world do you get that from? Do you really think most people are as a caught up in the same b.s. we're caught up in in this forum? My sister is a diehard liberal and she taught h.s. English for 25 years. She taught grammar, reading comprehension, and American literature. She was a teacher, not a politician. Tell us please about your horrific educational experience. Obviously, given your beliefs you must have gone to a terrible school filled with teachers forsaking their jobs to push their ideologies onto you. Please share.

15. 1960Pats

1960Pats Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +120 / 8 / -26

#75 Jersey

In my Real World the parents have little to no choice in what is taught to their kids in public schools. The NEA decides which of the most liberal ideas need to be shoved into the kids' brains from K to college. That's why every kid in every public school was force fed Al Gore's propaganda film.

I once went to meet a teacher and when I went to the school they (my two children and the rest of the kids in grades K-5 that year) had plastered the walls with political poster paintings telling everyone to Vote No on Question 3. They probably spent a week on that bs.

My 3rd grader came home with a sample ballot for him to fill out, as if he knew anything about politics at that age. The sample ballot was obviously meant to find out how mom and dad were voting.

When I gave one of my sons a letter to give to the teacher so that I might discuss what they were teaching him, he was too afraid to give it to his teacher.

I had another teacher come to a meeting I had set up to discuss some things about my 5th grader, and the guy had an incredibly strong odor of booze coming from him as he talked to my wife and I. As I walked out of that one I told him that he might want to consider coming to a parent conference sober the next time.

If most people knew what was actually going on in most public schools, and what they're passing off as an education, they'd be stunned.

16. Patters

Ratings:
    +267 / 10 / -11

I gather you've never belonged to a professional organization. The NEA does not develop local curriculum, but does provide teachers with resources, as would any professional organization. Assuming what you're saying about your two experiences is true, then it sounds like you did not go to the principal or superintendent. Any teacher who smells of booze when working in an official capacity should be reported in my opinion. As far as proposition 3 goes, are you talking about greyhound racing? Maybe the class voted? Maybe little kids had a kneejerk reaction, and the class exercise was to teach them to be involved in politics. Your view strikes me as cynical, but perhaps you're talking about a different proposition 3.

Here's an example of the kind of controversial things the NEA does to corrupt our kids:

NEA - Earth Day Curriculum Resources, Grades K-5

17. 1960Pats

Ratings:
    +120 / 8 / -26

#75 Jersey

I just shared some of it in another post here, and as a lifelong MA resident I can go on and on with one story after another about our public schools. Try to keep in mind that it isn't the teachers' fault. They don't dictate the curriculum, the NEA does.

Two things.

First, most people that I know who argue about the virtues of the public schools here have usually sent their kids to private schools, and they're almost always a liberal dem.

Secondly, the last time I saw the stats concerning public school kids in this country compared to those of other industrialized countries, our kids ranked at the top at age 6, near the middle by age 12 and near the bottom by age 18. If that tells you anything it should tell you that it's our public schools that are failing.

18. 1960Pats

Ratings:
    +120 / 8 / -26

#75 Jersey

I'm talking about prop 3 from 1990. Prop 3 could have affected teachers in some way, so naturally they had to use my children and all the other kids to paint posters on the walls, illegal of course, but only if the message was a view they disagreed with. They also had some kids coming home crying because Miss so and so might lose her job.

Denying that liberalism runs rampant in the public schools, especially here in Taxachusetts, is like denying that it exists in the mainstream media.

I don't think there was any better propaganda though than the saying that used to be spread around which stated that teachers did full time work for part time pay, when in fact it's the exact opposite.

19. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

Biology and chem in HS is used to push pc envito nonsense like MMGW.

There are very few competent Science or math teachers in the public schools.

I know this because of both my personal experience and seeing the crap that my kids were exposed to.

Since the schools reflect your worldview of course yo uwouldn't see any problem with the indictrination that goes on.

As to people being caught up in thinking about the issues, well the move to vouchers and homeschooling reflects that some people are aware of the problem, many others send their kids to government indictrination like lambs to the (intellectual) slaughter.

They pushed the party line I saw it was BS (being a rebellious libertarian sort of kid).

As to your well intentioned sister, her choice of literature would of course be reflect her POV she probably isn't aware of the biases of her choices.

The left has always felt that controlling the educatio system was the key to pushing their 'progressive' agenda.

If yo are unaware of the NEA agenda (check their political contributions sometime) then an inteligent dislog is not going to happen on this topic.

20. patsinthesnow

patsinthesnow PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +625 / 14 / -6

#87 Jersey

The Dreaded Howard Zinn. :bricks: I still remember having to write a short paper on nearly every chapter of his slant on history, while getting them back with tons of red pen of why I was so wrong to disagree with him time to time.