PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How the players we let go are doing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not happy with the depth at cornerback, or the personnel at safety at all. However, let's look at the teams who are afraid to cut the high draft pick, the name player, of what the fans will say,or what the media will.

In the short run (and we are 3-1, by the way) it will look bad. This is the short run, we know some of those guys have ability and experience in the league.

Let's look at the long run. How many players have been cut around the league to do as well or better elsewhere? How many Patriots cut by BB fir that description?

There's no point in going over the records over the last 2,3,4,5, and 10 years compared to coaches who presumably kept giys that weren't getting it, improving, or whatever. I posted those stats 5 times one day on different threads where posters were saying BB's time was past and not one negative poster had the courstesy to even address the facts.

I'm not happy with the secondary compared to what it seemed to me, when it seemed talented and deep. My opinion and information it's based on is sketchy.

Is he pulling in name vets to placate the fans? No, he's pulling in young unknowns, or guys that didn't cut it elsewhere. i say the jury is still out until some of these guys get a chance and some preactices under their belts.

Win games, meanwhile. That's all that counts.

Building a team, remember.

We should have kept Sanders. I'll never understand that one. Especially with his leadership role in the secondary, given who we have back there now.

All the other cuts though, I can't complain about.

Well, I'll tell ya the one that caught my eye was Jonathan Wilhite. Alot of fans hated that guy but I always thought he had good skills. Good for him.

so they sent him on two stunts and he got there....big deal

sacks do not equal pass rush....especially when they come on a corner stunt

You must be one of those Wilhite haters just for the hell of it. Two sacks mean two plays that the offense did not run those two plays and if you think that's not important, how do you like our pass rush? Does it matter that it was on a stunt? The offensive plays did not get run, advantage defense. He's making the tackles and has some passes defended as well as a pick. Your post is, I hate to say it, inane.

and it is quite obvious you're making up for your lack of knowledge with aggression....classic internet move

been watching the patriots since about '76, thanks for asking.....2500 posts on an internet forum doesn't mean much, especially if they're much like the ones i've read so far

Perhaps but dissing the corner blitz as a defensive play just because you don't like the player who played for us means that your football knowledge is being overwhelmed by your bias. Of all the players listed in that stat sheet, Wilhite had the best numbers. It's a fact, go look again. He's been active and involved and is apparently being used well by the coaches.

Nothing really jumped out at me saying "wow we should have kept him"

True. But I think it's rare to have players who are cut before the final 53 to make a major impact on another team. It's more about depth and development. From that standpoint, I'd have liked to have kept Yeatman or even Smith.

Happy to see that Wihlite's making some plays. I always liked that guy, and felt he was a Scrapper who got a bad rap around here.

No offense, but Yeatman and Smith were obviously going to be snagged. Cutting both of them ~ especially Yeatman ~ was just a flat out stupid move, and it profits us nothing to deny it.

Coach Bill The Mad is the best in ALL the land, but even HE makes idiot moves, sometimes, and he made SEVERAL, this time around.

Perhaps but dissing the corner blitz as a defensive play just because you don't like the player who played for us means that your football knowledge is being overwhelmed by your bias. Of all the players listed in that stat sheet, Wilhite had the best numbers. It's a fact, go look again. He's been active and involved and is apparently being used well by the coaches.

i'll type slower so you can get it

saying we should have kept a corner because look, he got two sacks, isn't saying he is a quality corner....

it is a result of a corner stunt.....not normal cornerback play

if the patriots were running unsuccessful corner stunts, maybe you'd have a case.....but when you look at the cornerbacks we kept, you can't say wilhite was better simply because he recorded two sacks......if you were making the case that he is a better cover corner than bodden, mccourty, et al than maybe you'd have a case

to base wilhites quality on a corner blitz is like saying tom brady is a great QB because he successfully pooch punted a few times in his career

wilhite has a couple sacks because of denver's scheme and the fact that they actually called the stunt.....not because he is or isn't a quality cornerback

wilhite isn't bad.....he just wasn't as good as the CB's we kept.....when healthy, our CB depth isn't bad; the fact that wilhite, who was going to be #5 on our CB depth chart, has latched on somewhere is reflective of that

I "dissed" a corner blitz? please point out where

i simply made the case that one cannot judge the value of a corner based on a couple of stunts; i think we saw enough of wilhite over the past few years to know his limits; the fact that he is able to contribute elsewhere speaks more to the depth at the position in new england (current injuries aside)

I see NOTHING wrong w/ the cuts.

The Merry man was a BAD lockerroom presense imo. He was not a smart player and took too many STUPID penalties and personal fouls he would be gone next yr. he is an overrated S that has made Miss Congeniality of all but 1 Pro-Bowl. That stuff is a popularity contest.

Tate- 1 Trick Pony

Sanders- I was never a fan, but he would help this horrid secondary a bit. (He was not worth his contract.

Lee- I am bummed he is not on our PS
Yeatman- ibid Smith,Lee, pg 88.

Whilite nvr would have cracked it long here. He had his chance injuries or not.

Butler- HUGE disappointment the dude underachieved every yr. and he still cannot tackle to save his life.

Last edited:
when i started the thread i did NOT mean that the cuts were wrong, there is no comparison to our actual team now....however...

the defenders we let go, from safeties to cb's, ARE either starting, or playing major roles on their new teams, there is no debate there

and it would make sense to state that they will only get more into the game as they learn the system more, these guys were in our final cuts, which means theyve had like 1 month on their new team.....barely any time at all

i just wanted to point out that the ppl we cut are effective/important on other teams

when i started the thread i did NOT mean that the cuts were wrong, there is no comparison to our actual team now....however...

the defenders we let go, from safeties to cb's, ARE either starting, or playing major roles on their new teams, there is no debate there

and it would make sense to state that they will only get more into the game as they learn the system more, these guys were in our final cuts, which means theyve had like 1 month on their new team.....barely any time at all

i just wanted to point out that the ppl we cut are effective/important on other teams

Other than Merriweather and Tate, I don't think anyone else is starting or playing a major role. The only one I would have preferred to keep is Merriweather, but I honestly think BB just couldn't stand the guy anymore and that's why he's gone. Can't do much about that.

Other than Merriweather and Tate, I don't think anyone else is starting or playing a major role. The only one I would have preferred to keep is Merriweather, but I honestly think BB just couldn't stand the guy anymore and that's why he's gone. Can't do much about that.

Darius Butler started and played the whole game. Made a big open field tackle on Forte, and didn't give up a single completion.

Butler- HUGE disappointment the dude underachieved every yr. and he still cannot tackle to save his life.

Matt Forte rush to the left for 2 yards to the Chi25. Tackled by Darius Butler.

yij2M.Em.156.jpg

Given that Ras-I and Leigh have only played in a couple of games....and were injured...I'll give the pass D a few more weeks to gel and see what the Pats really have.....altho all I saw when Bodden DID play was him chasing recievers who had passed him and caught the ball......Not sure if he is a solution or a problem at CB yet....

Merri wore out his welcome with BB with his on and off field antics......not sure how he affected the locker room with the youngsters......

you bring up a scarce happening?:confused:

owww, the guy needs some credit, he has provided not only the play from the play by play at nfl.com, but also a picture.....

impressive

Is this the same Wilhite that we spend several years yelling at BB about that he didn't deserve a roster spot on this team. Now, we're sad he's gone and pining back to the good ole' "Wilhite days".

Jesus crips are we a fickle fan base. :rolleyes:

Where in any of my posts did you see anything that suggests I miss him? I'm just curious. I made an observation which, statistically, is correct.

and it is quite obvious you're making up for your lack of knowledge with aggression....classic internet move

been watching the patriots since about '76, thanks for asking.....2500 posts on an internet forum doesn't mean much, especially if they're much like the ones i've read so far
Of course, me calling you a clown (which I stand by) is viewed as aggression. I've been watching the Patriots since 1975. See, I can make up dates too.

Does this thread account for all your posts?

But less interceptions.

If that were true, then it's a good thing we lead the league (or somewhere at the very top) in that category last year, while still being at the bottom in sacks. However, it's not because Wilfork has two INT's. Get the facts right before the sarcasm.;)

Last edited:

And I think that's how some of us took it before the BB apologists and the fanboys came in and started flaming anyone who had anything decent to say about the statistics that those players have put up so far.

you bring up a scarce happening?:confused:

He was always a good tackler. He was even a good tackler in New England. Even when he was giving up passes this summer, he had like 8 tackles in one game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back