How the Pats win vs JESTs Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsWickedPissah

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
On Offense:

1. Given the JETs formidable front 7 plus Ryan blitzing everyone but the kicker, the Pats OL has to come to play. Any semblance of the non-performance that awfull February 2008 where everyone on the OL acted as if stunts and the blitz were something new will lose the game and possible the Franchise. :eek:

2. Quick passing game. Starts with the QB who has certainly done his homework assuming he ever wishes to see his family outside the hospital monday, Brady must be prepared to identify the best quick release options when the house blitzes. The OC and Tom need to keep it simple for the outlet boys because tenths of seconds count. WR screen checkoffs and young TEs programmed with basic saftey valve options. The std screen to the RB is often negated because the JETs blitzers often assign one JET to target the RB.

3. Slot has been the JET killer and I think it will be again. Assuming Revis healthy enough to cover Moss, the Pats have too much talent in Welker and Edelman and possibly Hernandez to cover the slant and middle field options. I want to see Moss drag defenders away with him again Sunday opening up big plays for the Pats quick move receivers.

4. Gronk in the Red Zone. Put it high & let him get it.

5. Running Game...only if the JETs approach the game in an unorthodox (for them) manner and don't stack the line should we "try to establish a ground game".

6. Finally, Tommy Boy needs to utilize ALL his weapons. No more fixating on Moss & Welker like he tended to do a while ago since unlike then, now he has other quality options. Speaking of Moss, I really don't want to see BS like Tom trying to force plays to Randy so he can have bragging rights vs Revis. Never again. Only if it's there.

STs:
1. JETs have quality here. Gotta cover well. But the Pats have new talent here. Assuming they kick to him, I look for Tate to roll. Edelman as PR should also be good for field position. Retire Welker here..

2. The player wearing Gostkowski's uniform last week needs to be caught and sat down. Time for the quality guy to get over one less than stellar week. Hopefully if he kicks at all it'll be from lots closer this Sunday.

D:

1. Time for the young DL wide bodies to man up and play Run D. Bruschi said the Run D was mostly a mentality. We'll calibrate this young D's mentality Sunday.

2. I look for more instances of our supposed ILBs playing OLB as the situation fits. BB needs to continue to find ways to keep the best talent on the field.

3. McCourty needs to show that last week wasn't an abberation. Love the way he LOOKS BACK when the ball is in the air. Butler needs to settle down and just play a solid game.

4. Continued excellent safety play is key. Gotta cover Keller assuming a LB hasn't drawn 1st responsibility there and continue to hit hard but most of all, take the correct angle to not give up the big play. A broken assignment TD by the Jets really keeps their anemic O in the game.

5. Finally, the 2010 bunch needs to learn how to play in the 2nd half of games. You're possibly distracted from initial success or you get tired beyond imagining but WTF? the other guy is still comming. Again a certain mental and physical toughness is needed here, something sorely missing in recent years.

Last edited:
On Offense:

1. Given the JETs formidable front 7 plus Ryan blitzing everyone but the kicker, the Pats OL has to come to play. Any semblance of the non-performance that awfull February 2008 where everyone on the OL acted as if stunts and the blitz were something new will lose the game and possible the Franchise. :eek:

I think the mental end of the OL preformance is most critical. The Jets get pressure by getting rushers through unblocked, not by consistently dominating one on one battles.

2. Quick passing game. Starts with the QB who has certainly done his homework assuming he ever wishes to see his family outside the hospital monday, Brady must be prepared to identify the best quick release options when the house blitzes. The OC and Tom need to keep it simple for the outlet boys because tenths of seconds count. WR screen checkoffs and young TEs programmed with basic saftey valve options. The std screen to the RB is often negated because the JETs blitzers often assign one JET to target the RB.

There will be plays where Brady needs to hit the hot receiver because they will send more blitzers than we have blockers, but that is only a small part of the game.
Picking up the blitz and exposing those DBs to have to cover for a long time is where we will slice and dice them.

3. Slot has been the JET killer and I think it will be again. Assuming Revis healthy enough to cover Moss, the Pats have too much talent in Welker and Edelman and possibly Hernandez to cover the slant and middle field options. I want to see Moss drag defenders away with him again Sunday opening up big plays for the Pats quick move receivers.
I think Moss is going to be a weapon, not just a decoy. In fact, he may be more of a weapon against this type of D than any other. Brady will see Moss all day in his progressions. If Moss is open he will get the ball.
Popular belief is that Revis covered him 1 on 1 all day last year, and thats not what the film shows. If they give Revis over the top help, it opens up the other receivers, if they have read the press clippings and really try to put Revis one on one all day long on Moss, there will be a lot of plays for
Randy. You can count on that.

4. Gronk in the Red Zone. Put it high & let him get it.
Against everyone!!!!!!
5. Running Game...only if the JETs approach the game in an unorthodox (for them) manner and don't stack the line should we "try to establish a ground game".
I think we can run if we spread the field. I dont think we will line it up and use the run to set up the pass against anyone.

6. Finally, Tommy Boy needs to utilize ALL his weapons. No more fixating on Moss & Welker like he tended to do a while ago since unlike then, now he has other quality options. Speaking of Moss, I really don't want to see BS like Tom trying to force plays to Randy so he can have bragging rights vs Revis. Never again. Only if it's there.
I dont think Brady has changed his approach at all over the years. His favorite receiver is still whoever is open. There are games when Moss barely gets throws to him because of what the D does. What has changed is that he has a 1st and 2nd option that often get open.
If Moss is the first option and Welker is the 2nd on a given play, no one else will see the ball if these guys are open. Its al about the progressions. (Why Moss never sees the ball vs ceratin coverages too)
If you are saying our play calling should isolate other players as the 1st and 2nd options more often, I may agree. But Brady isn't choosing where to throw the ball on very many plays, his order of progressions, the coverage, and whether they are open does it for him.

STs:
1. JETs have quality here. Gotta cover well. But the Pats have new talent here. Assuming they kick to him, I looke for Tate to roll. Edelman as PR should also be good for field position.

2. The player wearing Gostkowski's uniform last week needs to be caught and sat down. Time for the quality guy to get over one less than stellar week. Hopefully if he kicks at all it'll be from lots closer this Sunday.
I'm not concerned, I think we have a decided advantage here.

D:

1. Time for the young DL wide bodies to man up and play Run D. Bruschi said the Run D was mostly a mentality. We'll calibrate this young D's mentality Sunday.
I feel very good about our 34 run. Especially with Brace at LDE. I see no chance that this Jet team can just line up and run at us consistently. I do have concerns about our run D in nickel packages.

2. I look for more instances of our supposed ILBs playing OLB as the situation fits. BB needs to continue to find ways to keep the best talent on the field.
I dont get this. That would mean playing Guyton at 34 OLB. I dont see it. Unless its a pass coverage situation Guyton being out there is not our best talent on the field.
Where you see this difference is when we line up in 4-2-5 nickel, historically one of the LBs is an ILB and the other is ILB or OLB depending on the players. The DEs are OLBs.
This year, the OLBs are DE as always but rather than having a 3rd OLB (Thomas, sometime Vrabel in his earlier years) as a LB in the 4-2-5 we will be using 2 ILBs.

3. McCourty needs to show that last week wasn't an abberation. Love the way he LOOKS BACK when the ball is in the air. Butler needs to settle down and just play a solid game.
McCourty just needs to play. I certanly hope he isnt being coached by telling him last week may have been an aberration and for the team to have any confidence in him he needs to disprove that. Butler played fine last week.

4. Continued excellent safety play is key. Gotta cover Keller assuming a LB hasn't drawn 1st responsibility there and continue to hit hard but most of all, take the correct angle to not give up the big play. A broken assignment TD by the Jets really keeps their anemic O in the game.
JEmarkUS Sanchez is going to complete passes. In fact he will probably look a lot better during parts of this game than he did last week. BB is going to make the Jets beat us with Sanchez. I think that this concept is well understood by everyone on this board, but what it means is completely lost.
If you are going to make a player beat you, you take away everything else, and by definition are leaving plays out there for him to make. Sanchez is an awful QB but he is a professional QB and can make some plays. We will, by design run a defense that makes his job easier, because we are taking away other things. But ultimately that leads to him needing to make plays when the defense isnt focussed elsewhere and he wont be able to.
If we win this game 21-20 and Sanchez throws for 300 yards and 2 crucial 4th quarter Ints, this board will be filled with comments about how we couldnt even stop Sanchez without realizing the gameplan was designed to give him the opportunity to make plays knowing ultimately he cannot make enough.

5. Finally, the 2010 bunch needs to learn how to play in the 2nd half of games. You're possibly distracted from initial success or you get tired beyond imagining but WTF? the other guy is still comming. Again a certain mental and physical toughness is needed here, something sorely missing in recent years.
Recents yearS? Last year was the only under BB that we were not perfect in holding leads.
I'm confident it was a blip.

As a detailed observer of all things QB, Brady clearly went thru a phase where he did fixate on Moss & Welker to excess. There were extenuating circumstances, limited TE options and guys like Aiken at 3rd WR. The classic Brady who found the open man disappeared for a while. Hopefully, he's back given the plethora of options.

Guyton on the field at OLB IS for passing situations, as he has been used, q.v. Palmer pick 6.

Agreed that Moss will be used as a weapon not JUST as a decoy. Just don't want to se Brady force the ball to Moss to support his buddy vs Revis.

Last edited:
The Jets offense is horrible this year. They will be lucky to win 6 games and have no chance against the Pats. Our offense was looking like the 2007 days again in that first game. :eek:

On offense lots of three TE sets. Run out of it enough to keep em honest. But use it enough to set up max protection and take a couple of deep shots down the field.

On defense, line up old Vince in the 'A' gap and let him force the issue upfield on a very suspect NFL starting Left Guard. Set a hard edge, the Jets had minimal success running between the tackles. Everthing they got in the run game was allowed to bounce outside.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back