Welcome to PatsFans.com

How Sweet It Is - Texas Style

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, May 13, 2010.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +779 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

I applauded when they said "no weapons in schools."

I was a little uncomfortable when they said, "no toy guns in schools."

I was downright unhappy when they said, "No pretend finger shooting while playing cowboy, soldier, etc. in school."

But I absolutely draw the line at "no Jolly Ranchers in school."

A Texas third-grader was slapped with a week’s worth of detention for possessing a contraband substance, FOXNews.com reported Monday. The substance in question: a Jolly Rancher candy.

A teacher confiscated the unopened piece of candy, and the 10-year-old girl, Leighann Adair, served her detention during lunch and recess last week.

She and the friend who gave her the candy were told to write an essay about what they did and why it was wrong.

Texas Girl, 10, Given Week's Detention For Contraband Candy

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +816 / 27 / -33

Texas, the nanny red state..

3. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yes, and we all know how much the public school systems are dominated by ultra-conservatives :rolleyes:

4. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +779 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Ummm, aren't school systems generally run by the state for the most part?

Didn't The Texas Board of Education vote last year to teach creationism as part of it's standard curriculum?

Didn't a far-right faction of the Texas State Board of Education succeed in injecting conservative ideals into social studies, history and economics lessons that will be taught to millions of students for the next decade recently?

Didn't they allow students to lead prayers addressed to Jesus over the public-address system before public school football games until The Supreme Court told them it was in violation of the 1st amendment in 2007?

In the case of The Texas Public School system I'd say that, yeah, it IS dominated by ultra-conservatives.

5. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Just wondering... do we assume too much that a decision based on religion is conservative and one that is secular is liberal? What about all the liberal Catholics?

6. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ummm, it was a teacher who slapped the student with a week's worth of detention, not some adminstrator from Austin. And before you say "well the teacher was just doing what the state makes her do" your own article says that no such state guidelines exist.
    These strawmen have nothing to do with the issue at hand. Nice try at a redirect, though!

7. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +779 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Good question.

Catholics, as a rule, do not proselytize. I believe that, for the most part, they're pretty content to be Catholic themselves and to let those of other religions be left alone to be whatever it is they want to be, too. They run private schools based upon their religion and while most students are Catholic they have no problem with accepting children of other religions into their schools. For Catholic kids who attend public schools there are catechism classes held weekly by the Catholic parish in the neighborhood where the public school is located.

Liberal Catholics tend to keep their heads down when hot button issues are concerned. No one wants to be held up as Teddy Kennedy or Nancy Pelosi are held up as hypocrites and/or liars. They're outspoken sometimes about civil rights but I'm unsure how much they might spill over into the public school systems. Since they've already got their own systems to be concerned with I'd hazard to guess that those who feel strongly about what should and should not be taught in school generally keep their kids in a Catholic School to begin with.

You don't read alot about Catholic priests praying for the death of a president, praying out-loud on the steps of The Pentagon, or directing their congregation toward conservative causes from the pulpit. That could be because they have their own sh!t to worry about or it could be because they just honestly do believe that church and state are separate and that public school cirriculum is immaterial because no school but a Catholic school matters anyhow.

Roman Catholic schools have accepted and taught evolution and the origin of the species for decades. They do teach the kids about Adam and Eve but they don't deny scientific evidence. I don't know if most Catholics are Creationists but I'd guess, from those I know and those I grew up around, that they don't. They, like myself, have come to terms in their own heads with the two ideas and find that they can entertain both concepts simultaneously without a whole lot of difficulty.

You're right, however. I do associate religious ideas being pressed politically as being conservatively based. I'd appreciate any information or thoughts to the contrary, however, since it's an interesting thought and I'm unsure how much any pre-held prejudices might play into it.