PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How STUPID Wade Phillips actually is:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cowboy fans must be so happy to have him as their coach!

Phillips is right, you know. You always have to stop the run first.
No matter how good the oppositions' passing game is.
As you indicate, Ray, if you focus too much on the passing
than the offense can run on your nickel or dime packages.
Now you're losing time off the clock.
The only real way to keep an offense like the Pats in check
is to keep them off the field.

Yeah, He could say something like (Fake quote)

"Our strategy is to ignore the run and put Brady in a lot of [2nd and 4] and [3rd and 2] situations."

How would the writers like that strategy?

Last edited:
Yeah, He could say something like (Fake quote)

"Our strategy is to ignore the run and put Brady in a lot of [2nd and 4] and [3rd and 2] situations."

How would the writers like that strategy?

Let's put it this way. If you were a Cowboy fan, how would you feel about your coach putting his focus on a second string running back instead of a hall of fame quarterback and his awesome receivers?

Last edited:
It's the same approach the Patriots use.
Don't see this at all. after the Cowboys took the lead, Pats let Barber and Jones run all second half while contolling the pass. and the Cowboys didn't score again, while we ran up 24 points.

Clearly BB found Romo to be a bigger threat.

If the situation were reversed and BB was quoted as saying similar things with the corresponding Dallas players I would think that BB was just playing coy and not giving hints as to what approach they would next in the next (potential) meeting.

I don't get that feeling with Phillips. I think he is that dumb and stubborn.

Let's put it this way. If you were a Cowboy fan, how would you feel about your coach putting his focus on a second string running back instead of a hall of fame quarterback and his awesome receivers?

That was the headline, but if you look at the article it wasn't in quotes.

The damn writer said that, not Phillips. Phillips did not mention Morris or Brady.

All Phillips said was they would try to stop the run, which is a generic statement.

Phillips acknowledged at his Monday news conference that the Cowboys' approach was to stop Sammy Morris and make Tom Brady beat them.

Let me repeat that.

The Cowboys' approach was to stop Sammy Morris and make Tom Brady beat them.

"You've got to stop the run," Phillips said. "You want to make them pass it, and then you've got to get turnovers and get pressure.

The stuff in blue=not a quote (do you see these? " ")

The stuff in bold is the quote. Where's Morris mentioned? Where's Brady mentioned?

Don't see this at all. after the Cowboys took the lead, Pats let Barber and Jones run all second half while contolling the pass. and the Cowboys didn't score again, while we ran up 24 points.

Clearly BB found Romo to be a bigger threat.

Yes the Pats "let" the Cowboys run.

I'm glad you thought that was strategy.

They "let" Barber run all over the end zone when they should have had a safety too.

Don't get me wrong, they were in nickel and dime defenses to stop the pass for a lot of that.

The point is, you don't start the game in in nickel and dime defenses except in rare instances. Even against Manning.

Last edited:
Yes the Pats "let" the Cowboys run.

I'm glad you thought that was strategy.

They "let" Barber run all over the end zone when they should have had a safety too.

Don't get me wrong, they were in nickel and dime defenses to stop the pass for a lot of that.

The point is, you don't start the game in in nickel and dime defenses except in rare instances. Even against Manning.

Pat's started SB 36 in the nickel and dime IIRC. But that was a rare instance.

Your defensive scheme should be to take away the opponents best offensive weapon.

Pat's started SB 36 in the nickel and dime IIRC. But that was a rare instance.

Your defensive scheme should be to take away the opponents best offensive weapon.

My point exactly. Marshall Faulk was more a pass receiving threat than a running threat. It could be argued Martz should have run to set up the pass.

I recall a game against the colts where we sold out against the pass, James had a huge game and the strategy worked.

I still maintain, no coach wants to give Brady and Moss 2nd and 3rd and short situations to start the game.

Unless they are insane.

Last edited:
IOW-to be fair to Wade, he's only working with the hand he was dealt with.

And this has to do with Wade Phillips STRATEGY in this game (and, apparently, the next one)...HOW exactly???

I don't know squat about football compared to Wade Phillips, but I have a hard time with the meeting where they conclude that, "If we're going to take away a weapon first, it's the run."

I have a hard time with that.

I cannot convert that into useful data.

Maybe there's an explanation. After all, we had been running the ball for 150+ before that. I suppose *given* the holes in the secondary, he knew that there was literally no hope if we had the run going and play action going for us.

Maybe it's a decision dictated by the difference between "little hope" and "no hope".

On the defensive side of the ball I don't think SD has that much more talent than Dallas does. The one thing SD has that Dallas doesn't is a true dominant nose tackle in Williams. But other than that it's pretty even and I'd give the edge in the secondary to Dallas where Newman is clearly superior to anybody SD has.

The difference as the article say is Gaffney\Caldwell vs Moss\Stallworth\Welker.

Dallas will never win a SB with Phillips no matter how much talent they have because he makes the same errors the Bengals, Chargers and other wannabes make.

1. They don't give their opponents credit, aka their opponents were lucky, let's not look at our own mistakes.

2. They make excuses such as blaming the refs, the calls weren't even, we played great.

3. Denial, we would do it the same all over again in place of figuring out what we did wrong.

If you look at the teams who have won championships they figured out accountability.

As much as I hated the Bucs because of Sapp, although I still rooted for them given the alternative of the Raiders, I really enjoyed their Americas Game story and how there was a great divide in the locker room because the defense didn't think the offense was carrying their weight. Sapp and Lynch tell the story of Gruden saying hey if you're really as good as you think you are you need to score a touch down every game.

Pushing them to the next level not allowing them to have an excuse like blaming the offense.

Phillips is letting his team off the hook. A BB, Shanahan, Gruden.....would be pushing them.

That's a loser mentality and thus.........he's a (sore) loser.

Last edited:
In a moronically twisted way, this was Phillips letting everyone know that Brady didn't really beat them.

The game plan was to stop the run. They did.

So his excuse was he gambled that Brady would not beat them and lost.

The dumb redneck is portraying this as....If I specifically planned against stopping Brady alone, we would have stopped him.

THANK YOU GOD AND BABY JESUS FOR GIVING US BB!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember the Pats stopped the Bears running game in the Super Bowl.
Unfortunately, they forgot how to pass rush that day,

I know what Phillips was saying, but it still cracks me up that they're treating our offense like we're the 49ers. How bad is it for the other team if Sammy Morris requires 8 man fronts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes