PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How special was this last SB to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady_to_Moss

28-3....
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Simple question really. This SB has now turned into a very very special thing for me and my mother. Not to be somber but my father passed a week after the SB win and i am just SO happy he got to see them win it one more time in his life as he was die hard like myself.

How special was it to you guys compared to the others?

Bittersweet. My dad passed away last July.... I really wish he'd been able to see it. I kept wanting to call him and talk Pats during the season.

Simple question really. This SB has now turned into a very very special thing for me and my mother. Not to be somber but my father passed a week after the SB win and i am just SO happy he got to see them win it one more time in his life as he was die hard like myself.

That's what I think Sports is all about. Spending some quality time with the people you love and I'm really happy for you and your dad that you could share this event.

I've become a fan after their 2004 SB win so it was actually my first time seeing them win and I died a thousand deaths and still remember how I went completely insane after that pick.

Brady getting his 4th ring with a GOAT like performance against an All Time defense, I simply couldn't have written it better if I wanted to.

Bittersweet. My dad passed away last July.... I really wish he'd been able to see it. I kept wanting to call him and talk Pats during the season.
So sorry for your loss. My mom is suffering from cancer and there isn't much hope. She, however, is a huge Pats fan (like me and everybody else in my family) and she really enjoyed the game. My sister and I even talked about how great it was that the Pats won and she got to see it and take her mind off her troubles for a couple of hours.

For me personally this win was something special. It felt like redemption from so many things - all the spygate and other scandal crap over the last 10 years; the last two, last minute heartbreaking losses in the Superbowl; the beginning of the year and all the "Brady and the Pats are finished!" crap. I was SO HAPPY they won, on so many levels. It's right up there with the first win from 2001.

So sorry for your loss too.

I told anyone who would listen that I just wanted one more.

I was at wit's end at hearing everyone outside of New England refer to my favorite team as cheaters.

I desperately wanted to shut them up, and cordially extend a middle finger. Butler!

Now, I want one more. But, I will NEVER get over 07.

-e

By far the most satisfying championship in my lifetime. It beats the first one from the Pats, it beats the Sox in 04. These last ten years have been filled with heartbreak, unredeemed legacies, and fan torture. I still can't believe they finally did it, after all the "death blows" they've gotten that would lead you to believe they are finally finished.

By far the most satisfying championship in my lifetime. It beats the first one from the Pats, it beats the Sox in 04. These last ten years have been filled with heartbreak, unredeemed legacies, and fan torture. I still can't believe they finally did it, after all the "death blows" they've gotten that would lead you to believe they are finally finished.

Agree. Most satisfying for me as well..and looking back on it now..it really holds a special place in my heart so much more then the others

I was younger (obviously) when the Pats won in the early 2000's... then I was loving every minute just the same, but I don't think I really appreciated them as much as I should have.. Brady's career was just blossoming and it seemed like it would never end. After Cameragate, the Giant losses, and everything else over the years, combining with the absolute nonsense of Deflategate and the nature of the SB win, this one was most definitely the sweetest IMO. I will savor this forever.

F

Thanks for sharing that personal thought.

While, for me, nothing can quite reach the level of XXXVI and the moment when Adam's kick split the uprights with 0:00 left on the clock, this is a very, very close second. Like many out here, I was numb after Kearse's reception and in a state of dread after The Beast took the ball inside the one yard line, with second down, a timeout and plenty of time on the clock for Seattle. The utter joy I felt when Butler made The Pick is really something I'll never forget.

In my case, it turned out that my family was invited to a Super Bowl Party that we attend every year. So, my personal story related to the game is that, since we live in NYC I knew that I couldn't bear to watch the game with a bunch of haters. As a result, I stayed home while my wife took one of my kids (12 years old) to the Party. My favorite memory is of my son standing on the lawn in front of our building as he arrived home after the game shouting "Patriots. Patriots" and my opening the window and shouting the same back to him...for everyone to hear as the snow was falling around him.

Special...
Erased the demons of '07 & '11 as much as possible
Ended the long drought since '04 "No SB wince since Spygate"
In your face to the media after their air pressure ignorant, deliberate non-stop onslaught
Ended the last dying vestiges of Brady vs P6 Manning debate in a rout
Shut up the LUCK GOAT talk for at least one month :)

Best
'01
'14
'03
'04

F

Thanks for sharing that personal thought.

While, for me, nothing can quite reach the level of XXXVI and the moment when Adam's kick split the uprights with 0:00 left on the clock, this is a very, very close second. Like many out here, I was numb after Kearse's reception and in a state of dread after The Beast took the ball inside the one yard line, with second down, a timeout and plenty of time on the clock for Seattle. The utter joy I felt when Butler made The Pick is really something I'll never forget.

In my case, it turned out that my family was invited to a Super Bowl Party that we attend every year. So, my personal story related to the game is that, since we live in NYC I knew that I couldn't bear to watch the game with a bunch of haters. As a result, I stayed home while my wife took one of my kids (12 years old) to the Party. My favorite memory is of my son standing on the lawn in front of our building as he arrived home after the game shouting "Patriots. Patriots" and my opening the window and shouting the same back to him...for everyone to hear as the snow was falling around him.
Great story from the heart of enemy territory!

This is what I said the day after, I started a similar thread about what the win meant on a personal level but either I scared people or folks weren't ready to reminisce so soon, either way, the thread didn't go anywhere:
-------------
I'm having trouble putting it to words. I'll make this as brief as I can. I signed up for this place sometime in the wake of losing to the Colts in the 06. Now that's not the moment that I became obsessed with getting #4, I can't quite pinpoint that moment. Maybe it was spy gate. Maybe it was 18-1. But along the way, I let this team and this game become far too central a focus of my life.

There are plenty of things - good and bad - that happened to me and my family members in the last decade that could've and SHOULD have provided the necessary perspective for me to put football in its place, but they never did. I regret how quickly I urged time to pass in the offseason - each day just being an obstacle to getting to the next thing - the draft, camp, the season. I'll never get that time back, and I appreciate what a mistake that was. I wanted so badly to feel a catharsis and have wrongs written.

I felt much better off going into this game. I didn't need us to win. I wanted us to, but I wasn't going to be depressed for months (at least) again were they to lose. Frankly, I thought that without that fear hanging over me, that a win wouldn't be as sweet. That it wouldn't mean as much when I was a full-blown Pats junkie several years ago. I was very wrong. This was the sweetest title yet, somehow managing to top the Rams game which I never, ever thought could've been outdone. I feel very content. And that is a very good feeling.
---------------
A month later, I'm some mixture of surprised, elated, and concerned at how tangibly happy winning that game made me. It probably shouldn't impact me that much, but it does.

Last edited:
Special...
Erased the demons of '07 & '11 as much as possible
Ended the long drought since '04 "No SB wince since Spygate"
In your face to the media after their air pressure ignorant, deliberate non-stop onslaught
Ended the last dying vestiges of Brady vs P6 Manning debate in a rout
Shut up the LUCK GOAT talk for at least one month :)

Best
'01
'14
'03
'04

Couldn't agree more with all of that. That's how I would rank them too.

'01 was the end of the "Patsies" and we became the Patriots again. I didn't think any championship feeling could come close to that...but this one did. And the way that they won it...wow.

This is my favorite of our SBs. The first 3 were awesome, but after 10 years where we were so close this was amazing.

Great story from the heart of enemy territory!
Yeah, the hardest part of the two SB losses had been listening to the horns honking and the celebrations in the street outside my window both times. This was a little bit of "Pay Back" on my part.

Very, I also lost my father during the season, the Sunday we played the Lions, November 23rd, he was in a ICU since friday and I knew he wouldn't make through Sunday, I sit on my couch to at least get my head a little break and in the very first drive got a call from the Hospital with the bad news, after that I just watched the other games without a single enthusiasm, getting my fan spirit back in the end of regular season. One week before we watched the Pats smash the Colts on sunday night.

Since I'm not from America I used to watch the games explaining to him the rules and details and he started to enjoy the game, he never got to choose a team but I think he always rooted for the Pats in prime time games because of me. I remember in the week of the SB46 I was in NY he sent me a e-mail saying "I saw on TV The Patriots are in the final of the super bowl" LOL

Could not watch that game with him, neither this last one. At the end of the Seahawks game when they were going to score after that helmet catch part 2 I thought with myself "come on this is not fair, after all this **** I've been through is it ask to much to want my team to win this championship?", the rest is history. The year of 2014 ended badly but 2015 started good, life goes on.

Here's my little gift for my friends who are hater's. You can play along at home. I extend my arm with fingers spread wide, Palm facing me. Then I count 2001 and fold my pinky into my Palm. 2003 and fold my ring finger into my Palm. 2004 and fold my thumb into my Palm. And 2014 and fold my index finger into my Palm.

And there you have the Patriots gift to the haters.

Sorry to hear about your father.

This SB was special to me simply for being the first one that I "really" got to experience. The Patriots' are the only NFL team I've ever rooted for and only team I ever will root for, but only turning 26 in a few weeks this is the first win of my adult life, the first 3 were nice, but being 12-15 or something like that I didn't appreciate football nearly as much as I do today, so the wins weren't as big.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes