PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

how should we gauge this win?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
it was a good win all around but the packers are 31st in the league against the pass.. Its a tough win for me to guage.. but i definately think we played alot more consistent than we have been..

how do you guage it?

Pretty damn good IMO. Beating a competent, which the Packers are, team 35-0 on the road is impressive. Not like doing it to a playoff team but it was total domination of a below average but decent team.

We set a league record for best 4 consecutive road games, averaging winning by 26.5 points. Now if that Field Turf can increase Brady's confidence the way I expect it to . . . :)

Didn't we clock the viqueens? The packers are no better just means the pats can lick any one in the nfc norris. now if the pats can beat the bears.....................

A NFL road win is always nice. The fact that they are beatng these medicocre teams on the road so easily is a positive. If they are just pulling the wins out and playing bad, it would be one thing. But they are killing these below .500 teams on the road. That says something.

Would I jump up and down and book my trip to Miami because of it . NO. But a solid win, they didnt play down to the level of their competition, and hopefully it helps them build some momentum into next week vs the Bears.

Can't remember where I read it, but one journalist summed up this game by saying that we all know the Pats can take candy from the little kids. And even those wins on the road in Cincinnati and Minneapolis don't look quite so great given that neither team looks like play off material right now.
Sunday should tell us a lot more about how raedy this Patriots team is for January. We've got more riding on this game than the Bears; they've got the division and home field basically wrapped up. Just as a few weeks ago we were talking about BB holding the good stuff back from this game for a possible Super Bowl match up, now I can't see the Bears really busting a gut to beat an AFC team on the road.

Pitching a shutout on the road, is no small feat, the last time we did it was in 1986 I believe. I do not think this win should be minimized, all aspects of this team played very well. Heard a lot of people minimizing this win yesterday, but IMO it is a very good win that came at a very good time and should not be taken lightly.

Last edited:
During the first super bowl run I remember it seemed like a lot of teams who played us LOST THE FOLLOWING WEEK after playing us regardless of the outcome in our game. A lot of that was from the physicality that we just punished them and part of it was BB coached defense gave everybody else a gameplan of how to beat those teams.

I don't think you are seeing the physicality thing so much this year; but the gameplan theory still appears to be present. Other teams are looking at that gamefilm of us versus Cincy and it took cincy 2-3 weeks to figure out how to counter; but now they are putting up big #s again.

So some of those 'not so quality wins' may still turn out to be 'quality wins' in the end.

I think we should take it for what it is. A dominating performance against a mid level team after a good week of very physical practice. This is midseason and BB is among the best at using each week to improve. Each week, any given team can lose if it isn't focused and playing their best football. Sunday's game was the best this year in terms of execution. The fact that Green Bay is not playoff bound is not the issue. Regardless of the competition, a shutout is impressive especially on the road. The Pats don't usually care to run up the score or pad stats (see Manning, Peyton). Brady was taken out with lots of time in the 4th remaining. This game was all about focused flawless execution and a killer instinct. It bodes well. Chicago will be more challenging but I think the team will build on this week's lessons. I trust BB to gameplan well and this year's team now has a feel of what they can do when they perform to their potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes