PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How should the Pats approach the last two weeks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: How Should the Pats Approach the Last 2 Weeks?

Sure there is. Football players play football, and will be sharper in the playoffs if they keep playing than if they take a week off.
The reason the team that gets the bye wins 80% of the time in their first playoff game isnt because they had a week to rest, its because they are the better team and are at home.

Can't agree. Even the Pats themselves have stated that playing an extra playoff game is very daunting. Getting that week off is key for any team, and is especially needed by some of our hurting players, most notably our ailing starting QB.

agreed..............

Beat Jacksonville and then rest Brady and the injured players against

Houston.

Sure there is. Football players play football, and will be sharper in the playoffs if they keep playing than if they take a week off.
The reason the team that gets the bye wins 80% of the time in their first playoff game isnt because they had a week to rest, its because they are the better team and are at home.

Agree 150%.

The last thing this team needs this year at this time is to "rest;" they have been unable to build momentum all season (unless we count Tenn and TB, which I don't), but I just have a feeling they might be on the verge of doing just that. I really like what happened in Buffalo yesterday; a depleted D showed some attitude and made a couple of stops and even some sacks, the running game started to look like it might be a force in January esp if Taylor returns in strong form. I want to see our guys build on this the next two weeks; play angry against Jacksonville and in Houston, even if the latter game is "meaningless."

To me the bottom line is that it doesn't matter whom we play in the Wild Card Round (assuming we can make the Playoffs).

If we enter the Playoffs surging and pissed off, we're gonna send any team that comes into Foxboro in January back home in a basket, like we have all decade. If we squeak by with one lackluster win over the next two weeks, we'll be one and done no matter whom we play.

Play everyone in both weeks. Does this team really need a week to relax and come out complacent in the playoffs?

The only problem with this approach is that it may result in too few

healthy players to compete in the playoffs. The idea is to heal players

not relax them.

Last edited:

Agree 150%.

The last thing this team needs this year at this time is to "rest;" they have been unable to build momentum all season (unless we count Tenn and TB, which I don't), but I just have a feeling they might be on the verge of doing just that. I really like what happened in Buffalo yesterday; a depleted D showed some attitude and made a couple of stops and even some sacks, the running game started to look like it might be a force in January esp if Taylor returns in strong form. I want to see our guys build on this the next two weeks; play angry against Jacksonville and in Houston, even if the latter game is "meaningless."

To me the bottom line is that it doesn't matter whom we play in the Wild Card Round (assuming we can make the Playoffs).

If we enter the Playoffs surging and pissed off, we're gonna send any team that comes into Foxboro in January back home in a basket, like we have all decade. If we squeak by with one lackluster win over the next two weeks, we'll be one and done no matter whom we play.

I will take "healthy" over "surging and pissed off". In fact, I think if we are healthy, we are more likely to play "pissed off."

beat jax first . if wilfork and warren and pryor dont play next week..MJD will run all over the pats and they are not the bills on offense.

I will take "healthy" over "surging and pissed off". In fact, I think if we are healthy, we are more likely to play "pissed off."

In the NFL at this time of year, "healthy" is a relative term. No team that wins an SB is "healthy" when they do.

So, if you mean giving a few people a rest that won't make a material difference in their ability to play, since they'll need the whole off season to recover anyway, I disagree. In specific instances for specific players, I might agree. But, in general, for this pats team at this time, I disagree with you. These guys need to build some momentum, which they just don't have at this time.

Last edited:

I disagree. When I think healthy I think sitting on the couch. i would rather this team play pissed off every week for that extra motivation. We have the depth in case there is an injury.

The health vs. momentum or whatever you want to call it issue is a real one, but not the only one. It's pretty likely the question of the 3 vs. 4 seed, along with who the Pats would play in the first round, will be a factor as well. Remember in 2005, the Pats wanted Jax in the first round so essentially threw the game against the Dolphins.

My $0.02

If we still have a shot at the #2 seed in week 17 we have to try for it, I know it'd be a long shot relying on the Redskins, but that #2 seed would be HUGE.

If it were the difference between the #3 and #4 seed I wouldn't give a flying fig newton, beat Jax this week and start the Practice squad in Houston for all I care, but the #2 seed is much, MUCH different than the #1. If we got it and the Colts stumble in the Division round, say the ref breaks his hand and can't throw their usual pass interference flags or somethin, we'd have 2 playoff games at home where we're undefeated this season, with a rested, healthy as possible squad to face most likely a warm weather team in the 1st game and the inconsistent Bengals who just put everything they had into slaying Peyton in the 2nd game. Can you see how the road to the Superbowl looks a lot easier under that scenario?

Now, I'm not saying the Chargers or the Bengals would be a cake walk, but at home, hopefully with lots of snow for SD wouldn't you feel better about our chances?

How Should the Pats Approach the Last 2 Weeks?

With their heads held high, a swagger in their step and a song in their heart. :)

My $0.02

If we still have a shot at the #2 seed in week 17 we have to try for it, I know it'd be a long shot relying on the Redskins, but that #2 seed would be HUGE.

If it were the difference between the #3 and #4 seed I wouldn't give a flying fig newton, beat Jax this week and start the Practice squad in Houston for all I care, but the #2 seed is much, MUCH different than the #1. If we got it and the Colts stumble in the Division round, say the ref breaks his hand and can't throw their usual pass interference flags or somethin, we'd have 2 playoff games at home where we're undefeated this season, with a rested, healthy as possible squad to face most likely a warm weather team in the 1st game and the inconsistent Bengals who just put everything they had into slaying Peyton in the 2nd game. Can you see how the road to the Superbowl looks a lot easier under that scenario?

Now, I'm not saying the Chargers or the Bengals would be a cake walk, but at home, hopefully with lots of snow for SD wouldn't you feel better about our chances?

Absolutely--totally agree that you can't overstate the importance of being one of the top two seeds. A week off and then a home game to get into the AFC Championship game. I mean, please. Problem is, the odds of the Redskins winning that game are SO small, I really do wonder if it wouldn't be better if SD just beat the Titans Friday night to take the possibility off the table.

Build a good lead in the 1st half against jax and rest brady. If you haven't noticed, Brady's record in the 2nd half this year is abysmal. Put Hoyer in there. Run a few wildcat with Edelmann. That sort of stuff.

Play everyone in both weeks. Does this team really need a week to relax and come out complacent in the playoffs?

Agreed. As far as I'm concerned the playoffs start now.

I'm one that always believes that you have to build momentum going into the playoffs.

Also, don't discount the Redskins so quickly. The Chargers struggled a bit against the Bengals pass defense and the Redskins have a better pass defense then the Bengals and everybody knows that San Diego cannot run the ball anymore. It will be interesting to see what happens with San Diego these next two weeks.

Build a good lead in the 1st half against jax and rest brady. If you haven't noticed, Brady's record in the 2nd half this year is abysmal. Put Hoyer in there. Run a few wildcat with Edelmann. That sort of stuff.

I assume you mean against Houston....? We certainly can't take any chances in the Jax game, unless of course you are implying that Hoyer gives us a better chance to win than Brady.

I'm one that always believes that you have to build momentum going into the playoffs.

Also, don't discount the Redskins so quickly. The Chargers struggled a bit against the Bengals pass defense and the Redskins have a better pass defense then the Bengals and everybody knows that San Diego cannot run the ball anymore. It will be interesting to see what happens with San Diego these next two weeks.

Tennessee lost one of their starting LBs yesterday, where I believe they were already depleted. The game against the Redskins probably won't mean anything after all.....

Doesn't San Diego have to lose both of their next two games? Do we hold the tiebreaker with them if they do?

Doesn't San Diego have to lose both of their next two games? Do we hold the tiebreaker with them if they do?

SD losses both....CIN losses 1 of next 2

SD at TEN xmas night
SD vs WAS 1/3 final sunday of year - 415 right now

CIN vs KC 12/27
CIN at NYJ 1/3 final sunday of year - 1pm right now

Remember, week 17 doesn't get flexed til Monday 12/28

SD losses both....CIN losses 1 of next 2

SD at TEN xmas night
SD vs WAS 1/3 final sunday of year - 415 right now

CIN vs KC 12/27
CIN at NYJ 1/3 final sunday of year - 1pm right now

Remember, week 17 doesn't get flexed til Monday 12/28

Yeah, that's right. I had forgotten Cincy still needs to lose a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back