PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How should the Pats approach the last two weeks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aluminum seats

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
This relates more to the last week of the season, I guess, because it's all-out until the division is clinched. But the last week of the season could pose an interesting choice for the Pats. If Tennessee beats San Diego, certainly possible, assuming the Pats beat Jax they'll go into their last game of the season against Houston with the #2 seed alive. No way in hell Washington beats San Diego out there, but how do the Pats approach that game?

Even taking the #2 seed out of the mix, it'll be interesting how the Pats juggle the different issues at play--resting guys (on the lines, Brady) who are banged up, every possible minute of experience for young guys in the secondary, and winning/losing based on who they want to play.

Last edited:
Re: How Should the Pats Approach the Last 2 Weeks?

Beat Jacksonville and then rest Brady and the injured players against

Houston.

This relates more to the last week of the season, I guess, because it's all-out until the division is clinched. But the last week of the season could pose an interesting choice for the Pats. If Tennessee beats San Diego, certainly possible, assuming the Pats beat Jax they'll go into their last game of the season against Houston will the #2 seed alive. No way in hell Washington beats San Diego out there, but how do the Pats approach that game?

Even taking the #2 seed out of the mix, it'll be interesting how the Pats juggle the different issues at play--resting guys (on the lines, Brady) who are banged up, every possible minute of experience for young guys in the secondary, and winning/losing based on who they want to play.

IMO this team has got to go full-bore for the #2 seed IF SD loses to TN week 17. With the injuries (Brady, Wilfork, Warren, etc) and more practice time to work out the funk this offense is in, the team needs the time and not and extra game this late in the year.

My .02$

IMO this team has got to go full-bore for the #2 seed IF SD loses to TN week 17. With the injuries (Brady, Wilfork, Warren, etc) and more practice time to work out the funk this offense is in, the team needs the time and not and extra game this late in the year.

My .02$

You have to balance that with the likelihood of SD losing at home to washington in week 17 with a first round bye on the line (i.e., roughly zero). Better to rest week 17 and get ready for a tough 3 game run.

I'm with Jimke, the #3 vs. #4 seed isn't a big deal to me. We need Brady, et al, to get a bonus bye week. If we clinch this week, even if we lose to Jax, I'd sit a ton of players. We'll likely to to go through the tough path of a winable home game followed by, in some order, @San Diego and @Indy. We need to be as healthy as possible for that, especially the banged up Brady.

In addition to resting Brady, 2 other considerations:

1. He was not very effective. Completion % <50% and QB rating of 54. We should be able to get that from Hoyer.

2. Brady is listed as questionable and is game time decision on playing status. If these are injuries that could persist into Jan, then there is some benefit of getting Hoyer some game experience before he might nneed to come into a tight playoff situation.

On the down side, the offensive passing game is clearly struggling. I am in no position to judge whether Brady is better off playing his way out of it or resting. I suspect BB will do what is in the best interests of the team.

Last edited:

You have to balance that with the likelihood of SD losing at home to washington in week 17 with a first round bye on the line (i.e., roughly zero). Better to rest week 17 and get ready for a tough 3 game run.

OK so your definition of balance is sitting Brady week 17. Doesn't sound like balance to me.

Balance is getting a 35-0 lead at halftime and sitting TB the rest of the 1/2.

Is that what you are saying?

OK so your definition of balance is sitting Brady week 17. Doesn't sound like balance to me.

No. If Brady is really hurt and taking a week off will allow him to perform better in the playoffs, that's what you have to do, IMO. SD ain't losing the last two games. They're like 17-0 in December.

No, I think what he's saying is the #2 seed is a non-starter for the Pats, because there's no way the Chargers lose to the Redskins at home. (Which is probably correct.)

1. Beat Jacksonville. No-brainer.

2. If we don't beat Jax, go all out against Houston. No-brainer.

3. Assuming we beat Jax, re-assess the health of the team. It's nice to win against Houston, but the priority should be making sure everyone is healthy for the playoffs. If that means resting key people, that's fine.

4. Do everything possible to avoid injuries to key personnel.

No, I think what he's saying is the #2 seed is a non-starter for the Pats, because there's no way the Chargers lose to the Redskins at home. (Which is probably correct.)

I understand his point. Of course SD should beat WAS. Thats not the arguement.

What if the opponent was Denver? What if it was New Orleans? Indy? Baltimore? What's the tipping point?

80% of teams who get a bye advance to the conference title game. Rest. x-tra prep time, home playoff game.

The potential benefits outweigh the risks IMO. Too many plus to leave to chance and Brian Hoyer.

I understand his point. Of course SD should beat WAS. Thats not the arguement.

What if the opponent was Denver? What if it was New Orleans? Indy? Baltimore? What's the tipping point?

80% of teams who get a bye advance to the conference title game. Rest. x-tra prep time, home playoff game.

The potential benefits outweigh the risks IMO. Too many plus to leave to chance and Brian Hoyer.

Yeah. Might be better if SD beats Tenn so that option is off the table.

1. Beat Jacksonville. No-brainer.

2. If we don't beat Jax, go all out against Houston. No-brainer.

3. Assuming we beat Jax, re-assess the health of the team. It's nice to win against Houston, but the priority should be making sure everyone is healthy for the playoffs. If that means resting key people, that's fine.

4. Do everything possible to avoid injuries to key personnel.

This is assumed. BBs #1 priority has been the health of the team.

If current injuries can not/will not manifest into long term ones, they suit up. If rest is the only way an injury can be addressed, I'm all for it and sit at #3.

Play everyone in both weeks. Does this team really need a week to relax and come out complacent in the playoffs?

If there is nothing to be gained by playing Brady, et al in the last game (i.e. all we are going to do is either move up to the 3rd seed instead of the 4th), I'd say rest Brady and put the other starters in for one series then rest em for the rest of the game. Brady is banged up alot and needs some down time. If we need the game, of course, everybody will have to play. Trying to "pick" your opponent hasn't worked out for us in the past. We've just got to play whoever comes to town. Rest Brady if you can, and see where the football gods take us.

If there is nothing to be gained by playing Brady, et al in the last game (i.e. all we are going to do is either move up to the 3rd seed instead of the 4th), I'd say rest Brady and put the other starters in for one series then rest em for the rest of the game. Brady is banged up alot and needs some down time. If we need the game, of course, everybody will have to play. Trying to "pick" your opponent hasn't worked out for us in the past. We've just got to play whoever comes to town. Rest Brady if you can, and see where the football gods take us.

Sure there is. Football players play football, and will be sharper in the playoffs if they keep playing than if they take a week off.
The reason the team that gets the bye wins 80% of the time in their first playoff game isnt because they had a week to rest, its because they are the better team and are at home.

This week: I'm not sure how bad Wilfork, Neal and Warren are hurt, but if they're anything below 100%, rest them all and hope for the best. Even if it somehow leads to us not beating Jax, Miami could still lose to Houston and that is just as good. Play Brady but PLEASE run the ball more in the 2nd half if you have a double digit lead.

Houston game: Assuming the AFCE is clinched by then, I honestly wouldn't play anybody, rest everybody who is hurt and don't risk anymore injuries. Treat it like a bye week.

Sure there is. Football players play football, and will be sharper in the playoffs if they keep playing than if they take a week off.
The reason the team that gets the bye wins 80% of the time in their first playoff game isnt because they had a week to rest, its because they are the better team and are at home.

Brady has been playing every week since he took that shot against Miami and he looks like shi*e. So, I respectfully disagree. If a week off will help him get healthy, that is better than having him out there continuing to struggle and not allowing his injuries to heal.

That may be right, but at the same time it proves that taking a week off shouldn't hurt your chances to win IF you are meant to win. IMO, some guys (Brady,Warren,Wilfork,Neal) are going to need a week off they are banged up.

This week: I'm not sure how bad Wilfork, Neal and Warren are hurt, but if they're anything below 100%, rest them all and hope for the best. Even if it somehow leads to us not beating Jax, Miami could still lose to Houston and that is just as good. Play Brady but PLEASE run the ball more in the 2nd half if you have a double digit lead.

Houston game: Assuming the AFCE is clinched by then, I honestly wouldn't play anybody, rest everybody who is hurt and don't risk anymore injuries. Treat it like a bye week.

I wouldn't do this - we need to clinch the division. I would only rest players for the last game if we had no shot at a 1st round bye, and it seems pretty likely we will have no shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes