PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How refreshing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Patriot Guy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Instead of a player retiring on us only to sign somewhere else, (4 times since Belichick started?) we have a retired player signing with us.

Nice change of pace. :)

And we needed a separate thread just you could say that, why? :D

I'm betting that Big Willie McGinest has more than just a twang of jealousy in his heart tonight. While the Browns' O-line has been gutted and with it much of the team's hope for a winning season, Willie now has to watch Seau come riding to the rescue in Foxboro. I'm sure Willie loves the money but if somehow Seau stays healthy ( a long shot) and is a force driving the Pats into the post-season, Willie will be a bit bitter that his last years evaporate in the Ohio wastelands while Seau gets a crack at a ring and crown as a star on a SB team...

good, i can't beleive he didn't come back. although, even if Seau stays healthy, he's not going to have that much of an impact. but he's better than Beisel and Banta Cain.

A few guys who signed on and then ended up retiring were Dean Wells and Brenden Stai. Of course then you had Jamal Anderson, Dana Stubblefield, and Big Cat Williams.

Brady'sButtBoy said:
I'm betting that Big Willie McGinest has more than just a twang of jealousy in his heart tonight. While the Browns' O-line has been gutted and with it much of the team's hope for a winning season, Willie now has to watch Seau come riding to the rescue in Foxboro. I'm sure Willie loves the money but if somehow Seau stays healthy ( a long shot) and is a force driving the Pats into the post-season, Willie will be a bit bitter that his last years evaporate in the Ohio wastelands while Seau gets a crack at a ring and crown as a star on a SB team...

Not to mention Seau taking ol' Willie's #55 :)

This is the kind of pickup I've been waiting for all offseason - a great vet without a ring brought into a winning environment. In 2003 it was Rodney, 2004-Dillon, last year nobody stepped up in that role (Brown? Dwight?), this year its going to be Seau- hell yeah. Tell me that's not some added motivation for getting a 4th Lombardi!

I don't expect Seau to play every down (or every game), but his experience and attitude are going to electrify this D the same way Rodney's presence did. I think his experience can really help when playing teams like Denver or Miami. Much like Bettis last year, he'll play with a "SB or bust" mentality and the team will do likewise.

Now my only question is - after a career in sunny locales such as SD and Miami, can the guy play in cold weather? lol ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
rookBoston said:
In 2001, I'd say it was Bryan Cox.

I thought the same thing, but we hadn't really established ourselves as a winning organization under BB at that point. He was a great vet pickup though, definitely helped us get that 1st ring.

rookBoston said:

Or Roman Phifer, though I look at the Seau signing to be closer to the Cox signing than the Phifer signing, as Roman provided a few more years of solid service after 2001. It's unlikely Seau will play past this year.

BoTown said:
A few guys who signed on and then ended up retiring were Dean Wells and Brenden Stai. Of course then you had Jamal Anderson, Dana Stubblefield, and Big Cat Williams.
Stai though unretired....and then I guess did again...LOL..and then there was Panos and Tylski.....yes it is rather good that we have someone WANTING to play here..and end his career here!! (Hopefully with a ring!!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Brady'sButtBoy said:

LOL! Willie is laughing his ass off polishing his superbowl rings while sitting in a jacuzzi filled with cash....

Willie wanted money..so he wen't out and got it when the pats wouldn't pony up.

Seau just retired because no one in the league wanted his services. 3 days ago he was washed up but now that he might be signing he's a star player pushing a team toward a superbowl?

So..
Is seau a good signing? For the pats yes because of horrible LB depth, but he's a liability on any other team.

Will he be a star player? No, he will be a roleplayer. Seau has not been a star player for years.

Will he stay healthy? Probably not. In the last few years he has had leg, shoulder and chest injuries. It's not about protecting a knee or something it's his whole body.

Will he be a key player for a SB? If injuries force seau to play he will be a key part in just trying to reach the playoffs. Some of the people on this board seem to not realize that fewer WR's and fewer LB's limits the playbook on both sides of the ball. Teams can forget about certain blitz's and will not be scared by multiple receiver threats. BB's legacy is his teams ability to adapt to their opponents weakness. But when you do not have the personel you are forced to do something not as effective.

Remeber this is not a defense that is trying to stay dominant. This is a defense that was in the lower third of the league that is trying to regain their former position. Whats harder...staying on top or attempting to get back to form while being shorthanded?....

Welker83 said:
Whats harder...staying on top or attempting to get back to form while being shorthanded?....

Thanks. Staying on top.

rookBoston said:

If seau has half the impact of cox it's a great move.
I don't see it at all.
Always thought Seau was vastly overrated,and this looks more like desperation than anything.
If the pats want a lb that's retired,I'de go for ted johnson,vincent brown,mike singultary,Even bryan cox himself but not seau.
THIS IS TOTALLY DEPRESSING:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back