PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How quickly we forget...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJDChE

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Last year was the exact same story with our defense (and last year wasn't the first time it followed this trend, either).

The first half of the year, the defense looked absolutely horrible, then the second half they were pretty good, which was mostly dictated by the coaches opening up the defensive playbook. We were playing ultra vanilla at the beginning of last year, too.

Pass Defense through 5 games:

2010:
132/187, 1417 yds, 70.6% comp, 11 TD, 7 INT, 10 Sack, 96.5 opponent PR, 23.2 PAPG
2011:
127/194, 1633 yds, 65.5% comp, 9 TD, 7 INT, 8 Sack, 93.0 opponent PR, 23.8 PAPG

2010 pass defense, first half vs. second half:

1st Half
206/294, 2222 yds, 70.1% comp, 13 TD, 9 INT, 13 sack, 93.9 opponent PR, 23.5 PAPG

182/317, 2112 yds, 57.4% comp, 12 TD, 16 INT, 22 sack, 69.3 opponent PR, 15.6 PAPG

Right now the pass defense looks almost identical to the same point last year (and we've played a slightly tougher offensive schedule this year). Now, notice how much better the Pass D got in the second half of last year.

I don't know what it is with Belichick, but its a philosophical thing with him. I don't know if he wants the team to get the fundamentals tied down before he really starts unleashing all the crazy looks, or what, but this has been a pretty consistent trend now*.

At this point I fully expect our defense to make a huge improvement in the second half, mainly due to adding in more complex schemes. This team has the personnel to be a top defense, it should be better than last year. When the new additions get up to speed and Belichick starts unleashing the hounds, I think we're going to see something pretty damn good out there.

*2005 is fun to look at. In games 4-11 we allowed at least 394 yards in every games, with an average of 424 yapg. In games 12-15 we allowed 183 or less in every game, with an average of 164 yapg. IIRC, I heard a stat that year that games 4-11 were the most yds allowed over an 8 game stretch in NFL history and games 12-15 were the least yds allowed over a 4 games stretch in NFL history.

Good post. Thanks for compiling the stats. I remember the Lions game last year and they were saying how Pats have the worst defense in the league.
They did tighten up the game later in the year.

I am hoping that the defense will show similar improvement and more this year.

Last year was the exact same story with our defense (and last year wasn't the first time it followed this trend, either).

The first half of the year, the defense looked absolutely horrible, then the second half they were pretty good, which was mostly dictated by the coaches opening up the defensive playbook. We were playing ultra vanilla at the beginning of last year, too.

2010:
132/187, 1417 yds, 70.6% comp, 11 TD, 7 INT, 10 Sack, 96.5 opponent PR, 23.2 PAPG
2011:

1st Half
206/294, 2222 yds, 70.1% comp, 13 TD, 9 INT, 13 sack, 93.9 opponent PR, 23.5 PAPG

182/317, 2112 yds, 57.4% comp, 12 TD, 16 INT, 22 sack, 69.3 opponent PR, 15.6 PAPG

Right now the pass defense looks almost identical to the same point last year (and we've played a slightly tougher offensive schedule this year). Now, notice how much better the Pass D got in the second half of last year.

I don't know what it is with Belichick, but its a philosophical thing with him. I don't know if he wants the team to get the fundamentals tied down before he really starts unleashing all the crazy looks, or what, but this has been a pretty consistent trend now*.

At this point I fully expect our defense to make a huge improvement in the second half, mainly due to adding in more complex schemes. This team has the personnel to be a top defense, it should be better than last year. When the new additions get up to speed and Belichick starts unleashing the hounds, I think we're going to see something pretty damn good out there.

*2005 is fun to look at. In games 4-11 we allowed at least 394 yards in every games, with an average of 424 yapg. In games 12-15 we allowed 183 or less in every game, with an average of 164 yapg. IIRC, I heard a stat that year that games 4-11 were the most yds allowed over an 8 game stretch in NFL history and games 12-15 were the least yds allowed over a 4 games stretch in NFL history.

I haven't forgotten. I've stated several times that I think our defense will improve as the season progresses.

I guess you're one of the smart ones, then. ;)

Not at all! I just remember that it took time. I think you might have something with it partially being a philosophical thing with BB. Play vanilla at the beginning of the year to see where your base line is and then start dialing up schemes/blitzes as needed later in the year. I stil feel that were going to get beter pressure from our D line. I'm really hoping it co es this week!

We all hope the defense gets better, and it probably will, but I'd like to see them play well against a good opponent before I get my hopes up that there will be significant improvement in the short term. When we look at it at the end of the season, the Jets might very well be one of the worst offenses in the league, so holding them to less than 300 yards maybe wasn't out of the norm. We shall see.

Last edited:
The D will get better. But I am not REALLY worried about the regular season, as we should have enough to get to the playoffs. THAT is where I am very concerned about the D...

The D this year does seem a little better at getting off the field on their own power and not by capitalizing on opponents mistakes. You can't rely just on turnovers in the playoffs.

i think someone said they had 8 three and outs vs the jets if they can do that come playoff BB can change the name of he's boat

That requires me to look into the past. I'm not a historian.

At this point I fully expect our defense to make a huge improvement in the second half

That requires me to look into the future. I'm not a fortune teller.

Don't you have anything that allows me to take immediate observations, generalize them into snap judgements and panic/celebrate accordingly? The teevee tells me that the Pats defense is horrific and the teevee people wouldn't do that if it wasn't true.

send me 500 dollars cash and I'll show you how to get everything you've ever seen on TV....just want to help...

tumblr_l9vmuhiI4r1qc073co1_400.gif

It's good to be a "1/2 full glass of water" guy and and all, but honestly it's noy saying much because I couldn't imagine the defense being any worse. They should win the AFC East and I have no doubts that they'll make the playoffs, BUT if this is the same D as last year, and the year before that, and the year before that, then it will be a long January.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone has forgotten that the defense had major struggles last year early, was historically bad on 3rd down, improved as the year went on, but still got embarassed in January on their own field by one of the worst QBs in football.

I think most had expectations (hopes?) that this year's defense would make significant strides over last year. To date it hasn't materialized but there are still 11 games left for things to improve.

Re: 2005 - not much of a comparison to 2011 unless you see a spot where we are going to see a personnel upgrade similar to the Monty Beisel to Tedy Bruschi change made in the 2nd half of that year.

2010:
2011:

1st Half

I haven't forgotten last year, you make it sound like last years defense was great, it wasn't. While i believe this D will get better as the season goes on i Don't think this years D is as good as last years. But we'll see, I HOPE I'm Wrong.

Last edited:
So... I am supposed to be satisfied that this defense is going to be just as good (meaning just as bad) as last year? :confused:

If I had to put money on it, I'd say they're going to be better than last year in the second half of this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see top tier defensive play in the second half. More specifically, I'd expect to see our best defense from week 12 on.

If I had to put money on it, I'd say they're going to be better than last year in the second half of this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see top tier defensive play in the second half. More specifically, I'd expect to see our best defense from week 12 on.

You wouldn't be surprised to see top tier defensive play in the second half? Seriously? What exactly have they shown defensively that gives you hope they could accomplish that? I'd settle for a league average defense going forward and would consider that a significant improvement.

So... I am supposed to be satisfied that this defense is going to be just as good (meaning just as bad) as last year? :confused:

I share your sentiment, although I am encouraged by the fact that BB was willing to try something different this year with the defensive front and that, combined with the shortened offseason, may mean a longer period of adjustment before we see the results we want.

No, the OP is informing us that if our current D's performance follows the similar pattern of the prior year's D, it would be much better as the season goes on.

Your satisfaction and misery are entirely your own choices. You could be quite happy seeing the W, or quite miserable seeing the yards lost. Or somewhere in between. :cool:

IMO, once BB plays the Aces up his sleeve, that bell has been rung and its on film. Once on film, somebody is going to figure out how exploit that scheme.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back