PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How popular are the New England Patriots right now?

This question is very generational. If you are over 40 your demographic lead to the Red Sox, under 40 the Patriots. That is not to say there are no die hard love the PAts more then the red sox fans over 40, but in general, the older crowd was brought up on baseball and, football popularity came after their teen years, where your alligences are forged the most.

The sports writers in Boston, are from an older generation, so they tend to put the Red Sox ahead of the Patriots, so there is more media when it comes to the Red Sox. But if you really looked at popularity, you would see how much more popular among the younger demographic football is to baseball. Put it this way, a non Patriot Monday or Sunday night NFL game, in the middle of the NFL season, will put up better numbers in Boston, than a non Red Sox World Series game. So the sport itself is way more popular.

But I am sure if you did a poll Over 40 like the Red Sox, Under 40 have the Pats s their favorite team.

This question is very generational. If you are over 40 your demographic lead to the Red Sox, under 40 the Patriots. That is not to say there are no die hard love the PAts more then the red sox fans over 40, but in general, the older crowd was brought up on baseball and, football popularity came after their teen years, where your alligences are forged the most.

The sports writers in Boston, are from an older generation, so they tend to put the Red Sox ahead of the Patriots, so there is more media when it comes to the Red Sox. But if you really looked at popularity, you would see how much more popular among the younger demographic football is to baseball. Put it this way, a non Patriot Monday or Sunday night NFL game, in the middle of the NFL season, will put up better numbers in Boston, than a non Red Sox World Series game. So the sport itself is way more popular.

But I am sure if you did a poll Over 40 like the Red Sox, Under 40 have the Pats s their favorite team.

Actually, this is one of the better post in this thread. I think the generation gap is important if trying to measure on how popular the Pats and Sox are.

Last edited:
Love the Pats and love the Sox. Best part about the Sox is the hand wringing and teeth gnashing how baseball sucks. The gift that keeps on giving.

Actually, this is one of the better post in this thread. I think the generation gap is important if trying to measure on how popular the Pats and Sox are.
i grew up loving and following all four boston teams. i don't buy the generation gap one bit. all you have to do is look in the stands during a game at fenway. there are plenty of kids and families all over the place.

i grew up loving and following all four boston teams. i don't buy the generation gap one bit. all you have to do is look in the stands during a game at fenway. there are plenty of kids and families all over the place.

Once you go to High School, the kids start to hate baseball and think it's boring. However, football is king in high school and the younger demographic. Generation gap can happen quick once those kids you see at the Red Sox games grow up.

Once you go to High School, the kids start to hate baseball and think it's boring. However, football is king in high school and the younger demographic. Generation gap can happen quick once those kids you see at the Red Sox games grow up.
thats complete bull sh!t lol. once those kids grow up they pass the redsox on to there kids. and on and on it goes. its been that way since the early 1900s.

Last edited:
thats complete bull sh!t lol. once those kids grow up they pass the redsox on to there kids. and on and on it goes. its been that way since the early 1900s.

Well, you haven't been to many high schools recently.

Well, it is close, Tom Brady is by far the most popular athlete, but if you are talking nationally and globally the clear choice is the Boston Red Sox. The Bruins, Celtics, Patriots, Red Sox and Revolution what is there not to like about being a sports fan in Massachusetts? Nothing!

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back