PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How popular are the New England Patriots right now?

Selling out a "stadium" that holds 23 people BETTER happen more often than not regardless of record. And they damn well BETTER win most of the time if they're going to outspend the competition by gazillions. No great feat in either case.
you don't like the sox we get it. i wish it was as easy as just spend the money and the rings will follow. you cant just spend money in baseball and win. just ask the cubs and the mets. there payrolls are right up there with the redsox. the sox are one of the best run teams in baseball. not because of there payroll but because of there farm system. nobody evaluates talent like the sox do. all you have to do is look at there roster. most are home grown players brought up thru the system or they obtain players like agon with highly rated players from there farm system. you hate the sox. you got nothing else.

07 sox vs indians
08 sox vs rays

Thank you for the history lesson, I was at three games vs Cleveland and two vs TB.

What you wrote was:
Watch in October when the sox and yankees face off again and take over both cities like they did in 2003, 2004, 2007, and in 2008.

Now again, what part of my post was not dedicated to "Right NOW"?

Thank you for the history lesson, I was at three games vs Cleveland and two vs TB.

What you wrote was:

Now again, what part of my post was not dedicated to "Right NOW"?

This is 2011, right? The sox will play the yankees, right? The patriots have not played a game, right?
"RIGHT NOW" my points are all valid.

This is 2011, right? The sox will play the yankees, right? The patriots have not played a game, right?
"RIGHT NOW" my points are all valid.

It IS 2011, the Sox will play the Yankees next weekend and again in September but beyond that...?

As you have done earlier, no evidence to prove anything. As others have done, I have given you concrete examples showing both sides of the argument.

It IS 2011, the Sox will play the Yankees next weekend and again in September but beyond that...?

As you have done earlier, no evidence to prove anything. As others have done, I have given you concrete examples showing both sides of the argument.

WTF? so you posting your "personal" experiences is any better?

Last edited:
Glad to see this thread is in the assclown forum where it belongs. :eek:

WTF? so you posting your "personal" experiences is any better?

You're right, your conjecture is much better than:

1. The sell out streak each team has going is impressive in its own right but the Sox streak is inflated because they sell a ton of their unused seats to Ace Ticket and count them as sold.

2. I've had Sox season tickets for 15 years now and trust me, from 97-03 you could have a whole row to yourself in the right field grandstand before school got out or after the kids were back in school. Three of those years the Sox were in the playoffs and they were not below 500 in any of them. Those are the equivalent of the 2002 Patriots teams when Gillette was still banged out.

4. Gillette may not look packed but every seat is sold and 99% of the people are there. One BIG advantage Gillette has over Fenway is the concession stands are on the outside wall of the stadium allowing for fans to stand along the concourse and watch the game. There are great standing room areas all around the stadium. At Fenway you do not have that luxury. If you want to see the game action live, not on a tv, you have to stay in your seat.

5. Steeler fans travel very, VERY well. Seeing terrible towels in Foxboro is no different than hearing "Let's go Red Sox" in New York or Philly when Boston is in town. Close opponent, good opponent, easy drive.

6. I think the NY Times/Globe recently sold their stake in the Red Sox, though I could be wrong.

All of which can be supported by simple internet searches.

You're right, your conjecture is much better than:

All of which can be supported by simple internet searches.

Thank you. aND YOU Should search for more info on your third point.

Last edited:
Does it really matter? If someone wants to content that people in MA like a second rate sport played by whiny, prima-donna's, rather than a great sport, so be it, even if it's true.

I mean we are talking about MA here, so it could be true. But NFL football is the real sport in this country, by far. Cripe MLB can't even come up with one set of rules for all the teams to play by.

Does it really matter? If someone wants to content that people in MA like a second rate sport played by whiny, prima-donna's, rather than a great sport, so be it, even if it's true.

I mean we are talking about MA here, so it could be true. But NFL football is the real sport in this country, by far. Cripe MLB can't even come up with one set of rules for all the teams to play by.

You'll find tons of whiny prima-donna's in the NFL too. Terrell Owens for example.

I have no idea which sport you were talking about lol

Say what you will about baseball, but the rarely complain about anything.

tHE NFL IS ONLY POPULAR BECAUSE IT VIOLENT!!! The same reason why mma is the fastest growing sport and why wrestling is still popular.

Thank you. aND YOU Should search for more info on your third point.

My third point, about people sticking around Fenway when they are losing games by 4+ runs late? Watch the games and look at the crowds in the bleachers and grandstands, go to the games and take a look around. Get mlb.tv so you can go back and rewatch those games and see for yourself.

I have no idea which sport you were talking about lol

Say what you will about baseball, but the rarely complain about anything.

tHE NFL IS ONLY POPULAR BECAUSE IT VIOLENT!!! The same reason why mma is the fastest growing sport and why wrestling is still popular.

Baseball has more whining about unwritten rules than any other sport I have ever heard. A guy walked across the pitchers mound and it was like someone threw out a racial slur. Someone perceives that another player isn't running fast enough or is admiring his homerun for too long and they throw stuff at each other. Look at the reliever from Baltimore complaining openly about the Red Sox and Yankee's payroll. I love baseball but it is hardly without whining.

You are right that violence plays a huge part in the NFL's popularity. So does the gambling aspect and the nature of its fantasy value.

Let's just end it with this: George Carlin

Last edited:
Baseball has more whining about unwritten rules than any other sport I have ever heard. A guy walked across the pitchers mound and it was like someone threw out a racial slur. Someone perceives that another player isn't running fast enough or is admiring his homerun for too long and they throw stuff at each other. Look at the reliever from Baltimore complaining openly about the Red Sox and Yankee's payroll. I love baseball but it is hardly without whining.

You are right that violence plays a huge part in the NFL's popularity. So does the gambling aspect and the nature of its fantasy value.

Let's just end it with this: George Carlin

Oh, i thought OP said the most popular team in boston lol

In this country the heat, yankees, cowboys, and patriots are the most hated teams in america. The boston red sox are still one of the most beloved.
People Hate BILL
people for some reason hate tom brady and says " he complains to the refs"
People hate the patriots success

Oh, i thought OP said the most popular team in boston lol

In this country the heat, yankees, cowboys, and patriots are the most hated teams in america. The boston red sox are still one of the most beloved.
People Hate BILL
people for some reason hate tom brady and says " he complains to the refs"
People hate the patriots success

People are getting sick of the Sox to an extent too, I feel. I was just in Seattle and Alaska and when wearing my Sox hat, I heard a lot of groans about buying championships or being ESPN and Fox's lackey, etc. A lot of the sentiment usually reserved for the Yankees. Part of it is the perceived east coast bias that lumps Boston, NY, and Philly fans together. Actually had a pretty good discussion with a group of people from Philadelphia about that while out there.

why are some pats fans so insecure? why are they so obviously bothered that the redsox have the biggest fan base in newengland? makes no sense. people like what they like.

Last edited:
Glad to see this thread is in the assclown forum where it belongs. :eek:

How did you become so embittered about a team / sport?

Did your dad refuse to play catch with you or something?

LOL don't kid yourself. Boston cares more about the red sox 2004 and 2007 championships than they do the 3 pats and all the celtics titles.

That's why when the Globe conducted an on-line poll about 5 years ago for the biggest sports moment of the decade the 2001 Patriots Super Bowl victory won over the 2004 Red Sox World Series victory. :eek:

There's a reason why a Monday night football game about 15 years ago between two 0-5 NFC teams had better ratings in the Boston market than a Red Sox game that knocked them out of the playoffs - football has surpassed baseball even in Red Sox nation.

I've loved watching the Red Sox this year - mostly because I whip through the non-action at 15x normal speed and watch the entire game in less than 45 minutes. And it's great to get my fix practically every day during the season. But I watch every minute of every NFL game that is telecast during the season and the ratings tell me I'm not alone.

Last edited:
That's why when the Globe conducted an on-line poll about 5 years ago for the biggest sports moment of the decade the 2001 Patriots Super Bowl victory won over the 2004 Red Sox World Series victory. :eek:

There's a reason why a Monday night football game about 15 years ago between two 0-5 NFC teams had better ratings in the Boston market than a Red Sox game that knocked them out of the playoffs - football has surpassed baseball even in Red Sox nation.

I've loved watching the Red Sox this year - mostly because I whip through the non-action at 15x normal speed and watch the entire game in less than 45 minutes. And it's great to get my fix practically every day during the season. But I watch every minute of every NFL game that is telecast during the season and the ratings tell me I'm not alone.

WTF does polls like that even mean? mtv once had a best of bands tournament and led zep beat the beatles. Does that mean led is more popular than the beatles or does it mean more zep fans are espn listeners?

Ratings can't be used here because right
1 Football is inflating the ratings
2The patriots wining is clouding a lot of judgement just like how the bulls made a lot people think they were chicagos team in the 90s Jordan retires and BAM! they return right back to number 3, just like the pats will do when brady retires.

Last edited:
I'll never understand you people. To me this thread is like arguing about which of your children is best.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back