PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How our DL stacks up now using PFW rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
According to Pro Football Weekly's 2009 NFL Preview issue, Seymour was ranked #6 of all the DE's. Warren was ranked #10 and Green was ranked in the top 37 ( no # given). Considering there are 32 teams being ranked in the top 37 as mostly a back up is pretty good.

Big Vince is #7 of the DT's.

I know that this is another media outlet but these rankings were a consensus among several GM's as well as the PFW staff.

Will Green be a drop off from Seymour? Yes, he will. However if you add Brace, Pryor and Wright into the mix then the drop off will not be that great IMO. We will have to see how it all plays out but I don't think that losing Seymour, as much as I like him, will be a huge problem for the Patriots defense this year.

Thoughts?

Re: How our DL stacks up now using PFW rankings.

I'm with Andy. I expect Wright to start over Green.

According to Pro Football Weekly's 2009 NFL Preview issue, Seymour was ranked #6 of all the DE's. Warren was ranked #10 and Green was ranked in the top 37 ( no # given). Considering there are 32 teams being ranked in the top 37 as mostly a back up is pretty good.

I know that this is another media outlet but these rankings were a consensus among several GM's as well as the PFW staff.

Will Green be a drop off from Seymour? Yes, he will. However if you add Brace, Pryor and Wright into the mix then the drop off will not be that great IMO. We will have to see how it all plays out but I don't think that losing Seymour, as much as I like him, will be a huge problem for the Patriots defense this year.

Thoughts?

What about Burgess? Wouldn't he play DE in a 4-3?

Yeah, but we are a 3-4 (as far as we know) :)

Thoughts?

I agree. I think the rotation will be solid but unspectacular, unless a radical scheme change turns people loose or the rookies surprise. As long as the offense stays healthy, an "adequate" defense should suffice.

Burgess was not listed as one of the top DE's or OLB's.

Agreed- I prefer Wright as an all-around talent (much more effective against the run, less effective against the pass). Realistically, if we're relying on our RDE for our pass rush, we're in trouble anyways. Seymour was the only guy in the league that could bring the pass rush from there without being a major liability in the position, so it just means that it'll be more important than ever to get pressure from the LBs when we line up in 3-4.

No,I disagree....In a 3-4 set,it's Wilfork at Nose,Ty Warren at LDT and Jarvis Green at Seymours spot at RDT.Wrighr has played back-up nose and LDT,but,not on the strong side against LOL and the tight end.

In the 4-3,it's still Green over Wright,because he plays on the RS of the defense.Wright could start,but only as a subsitute for Warren or Burgess.

Green only stunts inside.....doesn't line-up there.Wright doesn't line-up on the right side,because he is not as fast as Green and cannott handle the bigger LT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back