PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How often have we won on defense in recent history?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFaninAZ

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Yesterday's game got me wondering -- how often has the patriots defense won a game on a last drive? In other words, the other team has the ball with an under 7 point deficit and the defense is in a win or lose scenario.

My impression is that, in recent history, our success rate in that situation is average at best. I don't have a reason to say that other than the very memorable games -- the two games against the Colts and, of course, the Super Bowl against the Giants. Maybe those are the only examples and I'm forgetting others. I wouldn't count the Super Bowl v. the Eagles as an example. Maybe it should be, but the Eagles had so little time left that it's not really what I'm thinking of -- more occasions where we had to stop a team on 4 downs and we did.

The reason I wonder is that this team has now done it twice this year, both in big games -- against the Colts and against the Chargers. Both were kind of lucky. One was a hit upright and one was a bad decision by a good quarterback (although I don't mean to diminish Sanders' outstanding play -- wish we'd had that kind of jumping concentration against the Giants in the Super Bowl).

It's kind of ironic. Defenses of the past wouldn't have put themselves in that position -- the reason that the defenses in those games had to be in the position was giving up very quick scores. Still, it's an interesting irony that we've won two games on defense in two chances this year.

Yesterday's game got me wondering -- how often has the patriots defense won a game on a last drive? In other words, the other team has the ball with an under 7 point deficit and the defense is in a win or lose scenario.

My impression is that, in recent history, our success rate in that situation is average at best. I don't have a reason to say that other than the very memorable games -- the two games against the Colts and, of course, the Super Bowl against the Giants. Maybe those are the only examples and I'm forgetting others. I wouldn't count the Super Bowl v. the Eagles as an example. Maybe it should be, but the Eagles had so little time left that it's not really what I'm thinking of -- more occasions where we had to stop a team on 4 downs and we did.

The reason I wonder is that this team has now done it twice this year, both in big games -- against the Colts and against the Chargers. Both were kind of lucky. One was a hit upright and one was a bad decision by a good quarterback (although I don't mean to diminish Sanders' outstanding play -- wish we'd had that kind of jumping concentration against the Giants in the Super Bowl).

It's kind of ironic. Defenses of the past wouldn't have put themselves in that position -- the reason that the defenses in those games had to be in the position was giving up very quick scores. Still, it's an interesting irony that we've won two games on defense in two chances this year.

I would say the post 2004 defense had some depth/fatigue issues. Others will surely disagree, or say it's one game with the flu, but I believe our D got tired in some fourth quarters.

We've got all pups now. I wouldn't doubt they get mentally fatigued and make some dumb errors our old teams wouldn't, but they got them fresh legs, that's just nature.

this is a good question. Especially considering we haven't held a team to under 18 points all season.

What they need is a third category instead of just wins and losses; games they should have lost.. maybe that would be helpful.

Interresting question and I'll answer it with another one (i know...bad form but whateva!)

How often have other teams in the NFL in recent history won on defense?

Here me out for a second. I think in the "new" NFL (meaning more offense orriented.....more focus on defensive penalties and such) more teams are winning with "game-winning drives" as opposed to "game-clinching stops".

Now, the funny part is the saints "secured" the Super Bowl win over the colts with the pick 6 but if you go back in the NFL since 2005 lets say, I think you'll find more scores late in the 4th quarter rather than more stops in the 4th quarter.

It almost seems like the best way to win a game is to try and bury a team in the early quarters. Most teams don't have a peyton manning type that can lead you back and go score for score or get scores on every posession to make it close.

just a thought.

to try and answer the question....baltimore down 20 - 10 in the 4th...d held and the offense responded as well this year.

D held vs baltimore last year in week 4...up 8 with the ravens inside the 20.

just a few that i remember.

this is a good question. Especially considering we haven't held a team to under 18 points all season.

You forgot week 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back