Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

How Much Would You Pay Ty Law For One Season?

• less than 3 million

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • 3 million

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • 4 million

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • 5 million

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • 6 million

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • more than 6 million

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

flutie2phelan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
The demand for Law threads being insatiable,
here is your chance to record how much you would be willing to pay Ty
for a single season.

2 million base salary with a 2 million singing bonus and lots of incentives that could escalate it to 6.5 million.

flutie2phelan said:
The demand for Law threads being insatiable,
here is your chance to record how much you would be willing to pay Ty
for a single season.
I would like to see the Jets pony up big money for him. I don't think he is as good as stat-people think he is, and would rather not see him on the Pats.

Only problem with that is with him on their team, they will tank again and get the #4 pick in the 2007 draft. Sooner or later they will draft a good player. They already drafted a QB better than Noodle Arm. Law may help them get an excellent RB to replace CuMar.

For me, I say slap him in the face.

Offer him a three year, 12 million dollar contract, with 6 mil guaranteed.

It depends.
If we are tight against the cap, then I have a different answer than if we have cap room.
We do have cap room, and quite a bit to use on FA(s). Who else would you use it on?
We have rookies to sign that wont cost much, players to extend that will cost some, but far from all we have available.

IMO, Law is the best player out there to sign.

The second consideration is long term cap room. I will ASSUME we will have less room down the road than we do right now (that partially explains why we haven't spent so heavily) and would go low on signing bonus, (to prevent cap hits if he doesnt survive the contract) and a higher first year salary. I would add ROSTER BONUSSES each year including this one.

I think realistically it takes 3 yr 12mill to sign him.

I want no more than 3mill to be signing bonus.
I would split the salaries (9mill over 3 yrs) equally into roster bonuses and salary. (the roster bonus gives us a decision point, and is not amortized)

2006 1mill/1mill salary/roster bonus
2007 1.5mill/1.5mill
2008 2mill/2mil

Cap cost to us is 3mill, 4mill, 5mill
Law recieves 5/3/4

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't afford Ty Law. I spend all my money trying to feed my family!
F**k him.

:mad:

edzo44 said:
I can't afford Ty Law. I spend all my money trying to feed my family!
F**k him.

:mad:

Hah! Good one Edzo.

I voted 3 mill but this poll is too simplistic. Do you mean including signing bonus, incentives etc.
I think he should get a 3mill base pay with a decent signing bonus, not too extravagant, though.
Of course a healthy dose of incentives to keep his motivation going should be included.
This is only because of Ty's history with us, he deserves to retire here. Stinging comments about BB aside. Hey, if BB can overlook it, who am I?
I am concerned about his health. Between reports about his weight gain and I'm still not clear about the status of his ankle.
I wonder how effective he'll really be.
In BB I trust!

9 people have picked "6 million"?? Are the Postons posters to this site? :)

Jacky Roberts said:
9 people have picked "6 million"?? Are the Postons posters to this site? :)
Ty has apparently created 8 other aliases here to go along with his "LAW IN ORDER" nick.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Ty has apparently created 8 other aliases here to go along with his "LAW IN ORDER" nick.

Really curious who picked 6 million!

Don't be shy, just plead your case

I voted 6mill but incentive laden.

I voted 4 million. I expect he'll sign (wherever) for 3.5-4 mill per year.

sarge said:
Really curious who picked 6 million!

Don't be shy, just plead your case
I haven't voted yet but it's an easy case - with $16-17M of cap space sitting there, why not add a Ty Law. Now, if doable I would prefer to re-sign some of the upcoming UFAs but using a good chunk of it on what would be our best CB would be a viable option.

I assume you all understand Ty made $6.5M last season while we expended a combined $5.6 on the dynamic duo of Starks and Poole? He replaces those two even overweight and limping. If his ankle is not an on-going concern and he is in shape Ty will see $6M this year.

I doubt that is an issue with BB. The wild card will be what Herm or the Titans might offer him beyond that in the phony out years of another bs deal. Belichick will only sign him to a deal he expects Ty can fulfill. If he's healthy I'd guess we might go 4/$16M with incentives that could take it to $18-20M. Structured with an eye to limiting potential dead cap consequences in 2008 or 2009 to no more than we absorbed the last time he left ($2.8M).

And remember, while he's on the wrong side of 30 he is almost 2 years younger than Rodney and almost a year younger than Tedy. If you believe they have a productive year or two left, Ty's likely got 2 or 3 left in him. If he doesn't see his salary in year 4, so what? By then he'd represent just a $1.25M dead cap hit on a $120M cap if he gets a $5M signing bonus this year.

Vet minimum plus incentives.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pay him in food and cut out the middle man.

guess i am in the minority because i dont think he should be brought back. its not that i dont think he is still a very good cb, it just seems a step back and at best he will only be good for two or three years, time we should be using to put the young corners in as starters and find out if they will devolp into corners worth keeping.
it just seems that putting law back in the mix, while increasing the pats ability to win now, will hinder the devolpment of the others and put the pats in a position where in three years law will be let go, and the remaining guys will be looking for new contracts and not have had any significant starting time to determine their value.
put the young guys in, and let them sink or swim, the same way law and milloy were put in 10 years ago. if they cant show the ability to play then the staff know they need to look for guys that can. just my .02, but that seems to me the way to build for the future rather than taking a win now at all costs path.

MoLewisrocks said:
I assume you all understand Ty made $6.5M last season while we expended a combined $5.6 on the dynamic duo of Starks and Poole? He replaces those two even overweight and limping. If his ankle is not an on-going concern and he is in shape Ty will see $6M this year.

I doubt that is an issue with BB. The wild card will be what Herm or the Titans might offer him beyond that in the phony out years of another bs deal. Belichick will only sign him to a deal he expects Ty can fulfill. If he's healthy I'd guess we might go 4/$16M with incentives that could take it to $18-20M. Structured with an eye to limiting potential dead cap consequences in 2008 or 2009 to no more than we absorbed the last time he left ($2.8M).

And remember, while he's on the wrong side of 30 he is almost 2 years younger than Rodney and almost a year younger than Tedy. If you believe they have a productive year or two left, Ty's likely got 2 or 3 left in him. If he doesn't see his salary in year 4, so what? By then he'd represent just a $1.25M dead cap hit on a $120M cap if he gets a $5M signing bonus this year.

Good points. I would counter that:
1) Just because we have cap space doesn't mean that Belichick is going to pay a player more than he feels he's worth.

2) As you say, last year 5.6 got us two cornerbacks. It's hard to see us spending 6 on one cornerback. Just because BB overpaid Poole and Starks last year is no justification for overpaying Law this season.

3) There is plenty of history of linebackers and strong safeties being productive players in their 30s. There is very little of a 32 year old cornerback. You really can't compare them. The demands of the position are too great. Just like it's one thing to have a 35 year old qb, but quite another for a 35 year old RB.

That being said, Ty has always kept himself in great shape before the injury, and he could be an exception. As always, BB will be the final arbiter.

Last edited:
I voted for $4 million but I'd go as high as $4.5 million per on a 2 year deal. At that money he'd be a steal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back