PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How much trade value does Randy Moss have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seven Nation Army

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
He's signed to an inexpensive one-year deal and NE has a lot depth. Why trade Caldwell when you can trade Moss? Think someone will pay to rent him for a season?

Uh ... no. Why would we trade for him to all of a sudden trade him? Why would we do this? Because he is nursing a bad hammy.

He's signed to an inexpensive one-year deal and NE has a lot depth. Why trade Caldwell when you can trade Moss? Think someone will pay to rent him for a season?
obviuosly you know nothing about football so i dont know why your posting things you have no clue or idea about

WTF?
This is a joke ,right?
And just to play along, let's see...
We just got him for a 4th round pick, which most agreed was a good deal.
And he has'nt played a down.
Ouch! my head hurts from even attempting to respond to this post.
I think I just got dumber from posting this.

Are you on DRUUUHGS?:confused:

CAUSE IF YOUR NOT YOU NEED TO BE. :rocker:

Last edited:
Straight up, Moss and Brady for Damon Huard. End the Chiefs' QB controversy. Just do it, baby.

yea lets trade him before he has even played a down. Dont ever post again.

It would open the free agent floodgates to New England!

Actually, I should be thanking this guy for livening up a boring sat afternoon.

I D I O T(en characters)

lol, I didn't realize I was so stupid and ignorant. I guess I should never post again for floating a simple question. You guys are awfully hard on people. Lighten up a little bit.

I'm actually not one of the Moss skeptics. I think he's going to be fine. The concerns about his attitude and injury are overblown. I was just looking at the recieving corps and wondering about trade value. Moss is signed to a deal which is (a) team friendly, and (b) very short. That wasn't the case in Oakland. Does that make him worth more than the fourth rounder than we paid for him when he was under contract with Oakland?

Seriously, my question is a lot more restrained than the people starting threads like "CALDWELL OR GAFFNEY WILL BE TRADED BY FRIDAY!!!!" If you're only going to post to a thread to imply the writer is on drugs maybe you shouldn't post at all.

Also, you're fools to think Belichick has taken any options off the table. He will do anything he needs to and it has surprised us before. If I'd told you the Patriots would/should cut Lawyer Milloy at this time in 2003 I'd have been called an idiot, too.

Crazy Dave -- That's a beautiful pic. :D

Also, you're fools to think Belichick has taken any options off the table. He will do anything he needs to and it has surprised us before. If I'd told you the Patriots would/should cut Lawyer Milloy at this time in 2003 I'd have been called an idiot, too.

The reason why some people are (probably justifiably) calling you an idiot is that you're not looking at the situation properly.

It's not merely a question of "what can the NEP get for him?" It's a question of "is trading him better than keeping him here?"

If a team were willing to offer a pair of firsts for Moss, I could envision Belichick trading him. But, short of an offer like that, there is no logical reason to do so. If Moss succeeds here, the worst case scenario is that he leaves as a FA, and the Pats probably get a 4th in the 2009 draft.

Seven.N.A. Is your avitar supposed to be Micky Mouse on LSD? :confused:

Last edited:
It's not merely a question of "what can the NEP get for him?" It's a question of "is trading him better than keeping him here?"

If anything the first question is less provacative than the second one. That's no justification for calling someone an idiot. Shame on you for continuing that characterization.

If a team were willing to offer a pair of firsts for Moss, I could envision Belichick trading him. But, short of an offer like that, there is no logical reason to do so.
The offer doesn't need to be so heavily weighted to be inviting to Belichick. A single first-round pick or two seconds might tempt him, especially if he feels the passing game can produce without Moss. What's to stop Belichick from trading Moss and his nice small contract to Green Bay for a fourth round pick in 2008 and second round pick in 2009? Teams overvalue players in September. If Deion Branch is worth a first round pick this time of year I'd like to see the bidding on Moss' rights.

Anyway, you've conceded my central argument: if the value were good enough Belichick would liquidate Randy Moss. I was wondering what that value was at the moment.

I know you are taken aback by the reaction to your thread, but I think you need to step back and reconsider.

1) He is the arguably the best WR we picked up this offseason (the one with the most potential anyway) and we got a steal for him (he took a pay cut exclusively to play for us and we only gave up a 4th for him). Stallworth is not a guarentee. We have two decent but unspectacular WRs in Caldwell and Gaffney. Washington is a gamble.

2) His trade value to another team is less than nothing. Why? He has a history of having a bad attitude. He took a pay cut to come here, not to get traded to some other team. He would feel betrayed and who knows the fits he would give that new team. What team is going to give up a good draft pick on those odds?

I have to agree with others that it was a crazy idea. Sorry.

Moss wouldn't report. He only took the pay cut to play here. I hope you can see it would be a tremendous mess and reflect poorly on the organization.

Anyway, you've conceded my central argument: if the value were good enough Belichick would liquidate Randy Moss. I was wondering what that value was at the moment.

Again, I have to disagree. Moss took a tremendous pay cut to play for the Patriots. Belechick welcomed him and implicitly acknowledged the unprecedented move he made. It would be in tremendous bad faith for BB to take advantage of this gesture.

A lot of people think BB is cold, he's really not. Players don't put out for a cold coach.

He also has a code of honor, which again, players and coaches realize even if the media does not.

If you want to see an example of how character and honor are as important as playing ability, look at Terrell Owens. On paper, he's great. But he wrecks teams and that's more important than stats.

Last edited:

Your post wasn't that simple. You weren't simply asking what Randy's trade value would be right now if we were to trade him. You were wanting to know what we thought of the idea to trade him.

Here's why it would be stupid for us to trade him, unless a team was to offer absolute ridiculous compensation, which they won't, which I'll explain in a minute:

1. We are a Super Bowl-ready team with a potential star at WR (maybe not as dominating as in the past but certainly the most dangerous we've had in a while) that we obtained for only a 4th round pick. This isn't like the Texans drafting Drew Henson to get his rights to later make a "profit" trading him to the Cowboys. We made this trade to get Randy Moss, not to dangle him as trade bait.

2. As you said, he's cheap so there is no financial reason to trade him.

3. We alreay have five Day 1 draft picks for 2008 with two 1sts and two 3rds. Again, unless the compensation was just out of sight, there is no absolute need for extra picks.

As for other teams being stupid to give up crazy compensation, which is what it would take:

1. Right now, he's injured. You don't give up your future to get a guy who isn't healthy at that moment.

2. He's 30 and under a 1 year contract. Deion Branch was worth a 1st because he was young and was signed to a long term deal. Moss might not be the WR he once was and even if he is, to justify giving up multiple 1st round picks, you would have to sign him long term which negates the whole "cap friendly" stance.

3. As several have mentioned, he took less money to come here, not just to simply be traded. He could easily pull a Jake Plummer and retire if he was sent packing.

Trading Moss wouldn't make sense for the Patriots or any team that could be interested in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back