PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How much roster turnover?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only Moore and Warren I can make arguement for.

He is under contract through 2011 season. He played well in this defense in the last 4 games. He provided a decent pass rush. Did ok vs the run. Seems pretty aggressive out there. Need to see how he does during the off-season, full TC,etc and make the call then.

For Warren, all depends on who they get in the draft. If they fail to pick up a stud 3-4 DE, you may see him back for a 1 year deal. Besides, he did play pretty well this past year. 33 years old is not that old. He has size, was a solid veteran presence and was productive.

Everyone else is gone or is a huge question mark.

Last edited:
I'd add Wilhite. And Sergio Brown is a luxury, at risk of a numbers crunch.

As for DL: Ty Warren is coming back. Call that the Cohen slot. Mike Wright is coming back or, if his health is that bad, perhaps getting replaced. Pryor is at risk of providing the slot, especially given his durability issues this year.

In addition, one or more of G. Warren, Brace, Deaderick, Love will likely be replaced by a high-pick rookie, but it's not obvious which. Probably not Brace.
I would not consider Eric Moore veteran experience since he did not participate in the off-season workout program, training camp, and preseason games with the New England Patriots. Between Tully Banta-Cain and Eric Moore, I would rather keep Tully Banta-Cain if only one 3-4 outside linebacker is selected in the 2011 NFL Draft.

Why get rid of Gerrad Warren? I though he played pretty well and he can play NT too if I recall correctly. Eric Moore did pretty well too. And TBC got most of his money already I think so may as well keep him as a backup.

Why get rid of Gerrad Warren? I though he played pretty well and he can play NT too if I recall correctly. Eric Moore did pretty well too. And TBC got most of his money already I think so may as well keep him as a backup.
For the money to retain Gerard Warren, the Patriots can keep Deaderick, Pryor, Love on the New England Patriots roster. It's time to develop the young defensive lineman on the team and possibly add to the defensive line via the 2011 NFL Draft.

Below is what I want to happen with our defense (whether it's possible is another matter :D). On offense I think it's just a matter of fixing the oline and finding a new WR who can do intermediate/deep routes (Gaffney for instance - should have never let him go!)

---
Use Bodden, Arrington, DMC as starters and if possible bring in 3-4 CBs that can reliably cover receivers and ditch Wilhite and Butler.

---
Next year I want Wilfork, Wright (assuming he can play again), Deadrick, Moore, Warren and 2 new pass rushers making up the core of the line. Right now we have a lot of dead weight, we need a d line that can disrupt plays (Wilfork aside).

---
TBC/Guyton - I'm kind of down on these 2 now, maybe unfairly and they might be better in their roles with an upgraded D line but I think I would rather see them replaced with more dynamic LBs.

Spikes - Decent at run support (assuming he isn't getting likely to get into more trouble).

Mayo - keep him.

Ninkovich - Keep him.

----

Chung - good, keep him.

Sanders/McGowan/Page - I think they all fill their roles fine.

Meriweather - I want him to be great, but I'm not sure he is the guy. Ideally trade Meriweather and try and bring in a leader for the defense with big play ability. If no one is available then just keep him.

Last edited:
For context, turnover as of opening day. This does not include new players added over the course of the season, like Cohen, Carter, etc. Nor does this include players the team signed or drafted who were placed on IR. It does include players who made opening day and were later released.

2010: 15 players
2009: 23 players
2008: 16 players
2007: 11 players
2006: 14 players
2005: 15 players
2004: 14 players
2003: 19 players

2011 New England Patriots Defensive Roster

Defensive Lineman (7)

Ty Warren - LDE
Vince Wilfork - NT
Brandon Deaderick - RDE
Mike Wright
Ron Brace
Myron Pryor
Kyle Love/Darryl Richard/Kade Weston

Outside Linebackers (4)

Jermaine Cunningham
Rob Ninkovich
1st or 2nd Round Draft Pick
2nd or 3rd Round Draft Pick

Inside Linebackers (4)

Jerod Mayo
Brandon Spikes
Gary Guyton
Dane Fletcher

Special Teams Linebacker (1)

Tracy White

Safeties (5)

Patrick Chung
Brandon Meriweather
James Sanders
Jarrad Page/Brandon McGowan
Sergio Brown/Bret Lockett

Cornerbacks (5)

Leigh Bodden
Devin McCourty
Kyle Arrington
Darius Butler
Jonathan Wilhite

Possible upgrades include another 3-4 defensive end (5 technique defensive lineman) and a nickel cornerback via the 2011 NFL Draft.

This is a reasonable approach. I think that we end up with a DE and and OLB instead of 2 OLB's, but that's nitpicking. TWO fron seven studs is what we need. I do think that you underestimate the value of having older veterans on this very young defense.

SOME COMMENTS
A) I'd rather have Gerard Wright than almost any of your linemen except Wilfork and Ty.
I certainly prefer him as a starter over Deaderick (and I like Deaderick).
B) White is unsigned. Banta-Cain is a better choice for the 9th OLB/STer.
C) I don't expect to see Wright back. In any case, the defensive line is a very weak one, certainly not one that would be part of a top 5 defense. Basically, you've swapped Warren's as if our 2010 line is sufficient for our needs. I will be very disappointed (yet again) if we don't at least make an effort to bring in a top DE. Deaderick was an afterthought.

2011 New England Patriots Defensive Roster

Defensive Lineman (7)

Ty Warren - LDE
Vince Wilfork - NT
Brandon Deaderick - RDE
Mike Wright
Ron Brace
Myron Pryor
Kyle Love/Darryl Richard/Kade Weston

Outside Linebackers (4)

Jermaine Cunningham
Rob Ninkovich
1st or 2nd Round Draft Pick
2nd or 3rd Round Draft Pick

Inside Linebackers (4)

Jerod Mayo
Brandon Spikes
Gary Guyton
Dane Fletcher

Special Teams Linebacker (1)

Tracy White

Safeties (5)

Patrick Chung
Brandon Meriweather
James Sanders
Jarrad Page/Brandon McGowan
Sergio Brown/Bret Lockett

Cornerbacks (5)

Leigh Bodden
Devin McCourty
Kyle Arrington
Darius Butler
Jonathan Wilhite

Possible upgrades include another 3-4 defensive end (5 technique defensive lineman) and a nickel cornerback via the 2011 NFL Draft.

C) I don't expect to see Wright back. In any case, the defensive line is a very weak one, certainly not one that would be part of a top 5 defense. Basically, you've swapped Warren's as if our 2010 line is sufficient for our needs. I will be very disappointed (yet again) if we don't at least make an effort to bring in a top DE. Deaderick was an afterthought.
The best defensive lineman in the 2011 NFL Draft for the New England Patriots system is Marcel Dareus from Alabama (hint Nick Saban). Unfortunately, Marcel Dareus is rated the 6th best overall prospect according to NFL Draft Scout.

NFL Draft Scout----Powered By: The Sports Xchange

Are you willing to trade both first round draft picks to move up to the #6 or #7 draft position?

You have asked a direct question and made an inference regarding the rest of the 1st round.

IS DARIUS WORTH TWO DRAFT CHOICES?
Belichick and Casserio will make that determination. If he is deemed to be another Seymour, then of course the answer is yes. I find it unlikely that we would make such a move.

IS THERE A DL AVAILABLE BETWEEN 15 AND 35 WHO WILL BE AN UPGRADE?
Again Belichick and Casserio will make the call; but I certainly hope that we will be able to secure a DL upgrade in the 15-35 zone where we have three draft choices.

The best defensive lineman in the 2011 NFL Draft for the New England Patriots system is Marcel Dareus from Alabama (hint Nick Saban). Unfortunately, Marcel Dareus is rated the 6th best overall prospect according to NFL Draft Scout.

Are you willing to trade both first round draft picks to move up to the #6 or #7 draft position?

Based on Football Outsider's analysis, the Pats D-line got pushed around all over the place. They finished 30th in power success and 25th in stuffs at or behind the LoS.

D-line is a high priority IMO. G. Warren was a serviceable vet- nothing more.

Last edited:
You have asked a direct question and made an inference regarding the rest of the 1st round.

Belichick and Casserio will make that determination. If he is deemed to be another Seymour, then of course the answer is yes. I find it unlikely that we would make such a move.

Again Belichick and Casserio will make the call; but I certainly hope that we will be able to secure a DL upgrade in the 15-35 zone where we have three draft choices.
Just curious on your opinion of Marcel Dareus and the risk versus reward of trading up in the 2011 NFL Draft.

Based upon recent draft maneuvers, my guess is the New England Patriots will either stay put at #17 or move down.

Based on Football Outsider's analysis, the Pats D-line got pushed around all over the place. They finished 30th in power success and 25th in stuffs at or behind the LoS.

D-line is a high priority IMO. G. Warren was a serviceable vet- nothing more.

Ty Warren will be back which should solidify two of the three starting positions. The return of Wright (probably the best pass rusher of the group), Brace, and Pryor; this core may not be as desperate for an upgrade as people think.

Right now, I think the biggest priority on defense is OLB then followed by d-line.

Ty Warren will be back which should solidify two of the three starting positions. The return of Wright (probably the best pass rusher of the group), Brace, and Pryor; this core may not be as desperate for an upgrade as people think.

Right now, I think the biggest priority on defense is OLB then followed by d-line.

Agreed. Ty, Vince and a year 3 Brace will improve the stoutness of the line.

Below is what I want to happen with our defense (whether it's possible is another matter :D). On offense I think it's just a matter of fixing the oline and finding a new WR who can do intermediate/deep routes (Gaffney for instance - should have never let him go!)

---
Use Bodden, Arrington, DMC as starters and if possible bring in 3-4 CBs that can reliably cover receivers and ditch Wilhite and Butler.

---
Next year I want Wilfork, Wright (assuming he can play again), Deadrick, Moore, Warren and 2 new pass rushers making up the core of the line. Right now we have a lot of dead weight, we need a d line that can disrupt plays (Wilfork aside).

---
TBC/Guyton - I'm kind of down on these 2 now, maybe unfairly and they might be better in their roles with an upgraded D line but I think I would rather see them replaced with more dynamic LBs.

Spikes - Decent at run support (assuming he isn't getting likely to get into more trouble).

Mayo - keep him.

Ninkovich - Keep him.

----

Chung - good, keep him.

Sanders/McGowan/Page - I think they all fill their roles fine.

Meriweather - I want him to be great, but I'm not sure he is the guy. Ideally trade Meriweather and try and bring in a leader for the defense with big play ability. If no one is available then just keep him.

No way Brace gets ditched. He was impressive this year IMO. TBC is a goner, besides if we released him we could probably "shadow roster" him like we did with Woods this year.

Dareus doesn't even fit the scheme. He's a full three inches shorter than Seymour. Unless Dareus has extremely long arms for his height (which I don't think he does), then he's a NT at best.

Last edited:
Dareus doesn't even fit the scheme. He's a full three inches shorter than Seymour. Unless Dareus has extremely long arms for his height (which I don't think he does), then he's a NT at best.

Dude, he played in a 3-4 two gap scheme at Alabama (which is what WE have here!).

Also, Marcell is listed as 6'4". Brace is 6'3" AND plays DE. You're height argument doesn't hold water.

I can see Moore replacing TBC as the sub-rusher next year (with TBC getting the axe based on salary and sucking against the run). I can also see G. Warren coming back or at least going through training camp on a 1 or 2 yr deal. He was solid in Ty Warren's abscence.

Obviously, there is a long way to go in evaluation. However, if I were choosing today, I would give 2 picks for Darius, especially if I have re-signed at least one of Light and Mankins.

My primary priorities are to get two studs for the defensive front seven and to have an OL for the future.

Just curious on your opinion of Marcel Dareus and the risk versus reward of trading up in the 2011 NFL Draft.

Based upon recent draft maneuvers, my guess is the New England Patriots will either stay put at #17 or move down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes