PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How much of this adversity was media created?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinkypete

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I can't rememer so much adversity affecting this team in one day. Baugher's assault, Rodney's suspension, and the "surprise cut" of Randy Moss that never happened, plus the rumors that wouldn't die.

How much of this garbage has been pushed because it is the Patriots? Would an undrafted rookie punter getting arrested for assault be news if it happened in Arizona? Would the media even dream of Randy Moss getting cut if he had been traded to Green Bay? If we found out that Will Depms had been taking HGH to recover from injury instead of Rodney Harrison, would anyone care?

It just seems to me that there are situations that were UNDER CONTROL in house, and the national sports media blew these stories out of the water because they effected Patriots players.

I can't rememer so much adversity affecting this team in one day. Baugher's assault, Rodney's suspension, and the "surprise cut" of Randy Moss that never happened, plus the rumors that wouldn't die.

How much of this garbage has been pushed because it is the Patriots? Would an undrafted rookie punter getting arrested for assault be news if it happened in Arizona? Would the media even dream of Randy Moss getting cut if he had been traded to Green Bay? If we found out that Will Depms had been taking HGH to recover from injury instead of Rodney Harrison, would anyone care?

It just seems to me that there are situations that were UNDER CONTROL in house, and the national sports media blew these stories out of the water because they effected Patriots players.

I agree, and it's starting to piss me off. :mad:

None of it that I can see

The Baugher situation happened after he was cut. No impact on the Pats that I can see - but it did happen.

Rodney's suspension is a real issue - definately not media created.

And the Moss rumors according to Tomase were circulating before they were reported on *gasp* a rumormill site, followed by mainstream press.

So who started the rumor and why? We'll never know but someone had their reason, but there is independent confirmation from other media sources that PFT did not fabricate the rumor.

None of it is "media created" (whatever that means).

I'm actually perusing the web trying to find out what happened to Baugher. I saw someone on Craig's List say that he had been arrested in Plymouth. It's hardly a national news media story.

And the Moss rumors according to Tomase were circulating before they were reported on *gasp* a rumormill site, followed by mainstream press.

So who started the rumor and why? We'll never know but someone had their reason, but there is independent confirmation from other media sources that PFT did not fabricate the rumor.

These Moss rumors make the point, I think, of what the original poster meant.

A rumor web site repeatedly puts on the website a story (and I do mean story) that some other media source reported somewhere, somehow. We have nothing but a nasty rumor here, put out there for reasons that make no sense, except to maybe increase hits on a website or two so they can try to justify their existence.

I don't like any of it, media should stick to reporting facts with sources and verification if the care to be taken seriously.

Those that do are the places I like to visit for real news based on fact. Those that do not, really suck, can often be mean spirited and self serving, no doubt - they should be tarred and feathered, or at least , not read.

I listen to Sirius NFL radio a lot and they were making a bigger deal out of the Wade Wilson suspension yesterday than the Harrison suspension. There was no mention of Baugher at all even in their 2 minute drill. The only Moss rumor they mentioned was WEEI's one about Moss to the PUP to blast it for being inacurrate because it would be impossible to put him to the PUP.

Sirius NFL radio was far more preoccupied with the Byron Leftwich situation than anything going on with the Patriots.

Rodney Harrison is a big name. If John Lynch was suspended for the same reason, he would get just as much coverage. Will Demps is a nobody players. If Randy Moss was rumored to get cut from the Packers, it would have gotten just as much attention because Moss is and always have been a media hot button player.

These Moss rumors make the point, I think, of what the original poster meant.

A rumor web site repeatedly puts on the website a story (and I do mean story) that some other media source reported somewhere, somehow. We have nothing but a nasty rumor here, put out there for reasons that make no sense, except to maybe increase hits on a website or two so they can try to justify their existence.

I don't like any of it, media should stick to reporting facts with sources and verification if the care to be taken seriously.

Those that do are the places I like to visit for real news based on fact. Those that do not, really suck, can often be mean spirited and self serving, no doubt - they should be tarred and feathered, or at least , not read.

I can understand why people would be upset if they only want corrobororated or confirmed reports as part of news reports.

If that's the case, and one doesn't like rumors, my advice would be to avoid at all costs visiting websites called the "Rumormill".

Personally I like hearing some of the rumors... I don't necessarilly believe it but believe that SOMEONE had a reason for starting the rumor in the first place... whether it be an agent, player, coach or GM...

The reason the rumor is started is news, even when... especially when, it's not true - but one has to read between the lines to find it.

Last edited:
Stinkypete - do you read own posts?

Rodney is a superstar safety on a 3X SB team and you want to know why it is much, much more news worthy that he got caught cheating than if it had been the all but forgotten Will Demps? It's a non-sensical question.

What the heck does "under control in the house" mean? You only want to read the news according to the Pat's PR staff? You can't be serious. BTW, the NFL suspended Rodney, not the Pats.

The rest of nation wouldn't care one spit that Baugher was arrested - except for the fact that the "in the house" people you speak of have gone to lengths to portray the Pats as above the normal NFL sleaze factor. Ditto on Rodney's cheating.

The Moss rumor has been well discussed on another thread and pretty much amounted to a LOCAL reporter taking the word of an unreliable source and then running aorund like an idiot trying to make a name for himself with the alledged scoop. And, obviously, Randy Moss is one of the biggest names in the NFL, remember? You don't think the entire NFL fandom would be interested if Moss was cut from a powerhouse team giving him a supposed last chance to make good?

I'm beginning to wonder if the folks who reflexively blame the 'media' for everything even bother to think about what they are saying before they say it. Um, isn't that just what you're blaming the media for...?

Last edited:
I actually think most of it is legit except for the Moss issue. I do agree that the media tends to stir things when there is not much to report about.

I am real curious about the Moss rumor though. If it turns out to be true and it was started by th Pat's FO then that was pretty UN-classy.

Unfortunately, I have to disagree. Obviously teams like Arizona aren't newsworthy, but notorious players getting suspended for substances (Rodney) drunken brawls and anything Moss does are fodder for the sensational crap media machine.

NY, Philly, Pitt, Chicago,Miami etc. these things would be news IMO.

Plus we're the media darlings this year because of off season moves and that cuts both ways.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye