PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How much of a statement is to be made about the Patriots season this Sunday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
None whatsoever.

What happens early in the season that does not substantively eliminate you from the playoffs means nada. Past Pats teams endured debacles this time of year. A bad Halloween loss to the Squealers comes to mind. Subsequently, that Pats team went on to glory.

Every season is unique. Every team is unique. BB has often said that he doesn't know what kind of team he has until he reaches December. With a neophyte QB whose true capabilities are still TBD, and the team's potential to bring several talented defensive rookies into contribution mode over the next months, this team could look quite different in December depending on the newbies' performances. Don't forget Neal & Ross potentially coming off PUP to improve the OL.

Which keeps me wondering... who gets cut when that happens?

A WR and an O-lineman?

It's just another game for me, it doesn't indicate anything about the season.

If they lose not a big surprise. I hope they win, but the Chargers are good at digging themselves out of holes dug in the beginning of a season, and their crowd will be a big factor, and we will have been sleepin in California for a week.

If Rivers throws for 250 with a banged up WR corps I can assure you that you can forget about everything else - The Patriots will get killed -

Rivers cannot be allowed to throw for more than 200 if this team is going to beat them.

Rivers needs to be contained to something like 19-27 for 190 yards and 2 TDs and Tomlinson with something like 22 rushes for 93 yards and we should have a shot

In 3 games with a 100++ QB rating for Rivers the Chargers are 1-2. In his two worst games including one with a 56 rating, they are 1-1. Tomlinson would kill for 22 rushes for 93 yards since he's averaging 18 for 66 and that would represent his third best game of the season...he's had 2 games at +90 yards and they are 1-1 in those games...

To win the Patriots need to control TOP and field possession as they did against SF, work the underneath and intermediate zones where injuries have hurt SD, score in the red zone, put SD in long yardage on 3rd down where they have struggled, avoid turnovers and costly penalties, execute on ST and keep Sproles contained. In other words play situational football mindful that one situation we inevitably will face all season is Tom Brady ain't walking through that door...

But we don't have to prove we can hang with projected playoff caliber teams until we or they manage to get to the playoffs. The object here remains the same as always, win each game one at a time, make the playoffs, win the division, win the conference, win the whole enchilada. Style points are irrelevant.

We don't do all of that every time even with Brady in case some of you hadn't noticed.... And we started this run as a .500 team with a sideways throwing backup QB in week 10 of the 2001 season.

Which keeps me wondering... who gets cut when that happens?

A WR and an O-lineman?

BB cuts Cassel and starts O'Connell? Five folks here would be exctatic!

Seriously, I think a WR gets cut but that depends if one or both of the guys do come back vs IR.

None whatsoever.

Every season is unique. Every team is unique. BB has often said that he doesn't know what kind of team he has until he reaches December. With a neophyte QB whose true capabilities are still TBD, and the team's potential to bring several talented defensive rookies into contribution mode over the next months, this team could look quite different in December depending on the newbies' performances. Don't forget Neal & Ross potentially coming off PUP to improve the OL.

I know you're right that how the team plays down the stretch is what matters the most. Still, although irrelevant to BB and not necessarily in the best interests of the team, as a fan I want a bit statement to be made this Sunday. Not predicting a blowout by any means, but it would be nice.

This rivalry is every bit as intense as with the Colts or Jets. And purely out of spite and petty vindictiveness, I want to see the Chargers and LdT humiliated in front of their home crowd...again...with Matt Cassel behind center.

If there is even the chance of running up the score against the Bolts (and if the coaches find the pressure points, it's always possible) I hope they do it.

I didn't post anything like that for my predict the score entry, I'm not expecting it, but how glorious it would be... you know, and maybe the waterboy can take a leak on the Chargers logo afterward. When in Rome...

image.php

My point was that from a schedule point of view, this is somewhat important. The AFCE is not cake this year, and the months of late Oct-Nov actually have some very tough matchups. Denver, Buffalo, Indy, the Steelers, and the Jets. Of course it's not the end of the world, but it'll worry me to walk into that stretch at 3-2.

In 3 games with a 100++ QB rating for Rivers the Chargers are 1-2. In his two worst games including one with a 56 rating, they are 1-1. Tomlinson would kill for 22 rushes for 93 yards since he's averaging 18 for 66 and that would represent his third best game of the season...he's had 2 games at +90 yards and they are 1-1 in those games...

To win the Patriots need to control TOP and field possession as they did against SF, work the underneath and intermediate zones where injuries have hurt SD, score in the red zone, put SD in long yardage on 3rd down where they have struggled, avoid turnovers and costly penalties, execute on ST and keep Sproles contained. In other words play situational football mindful that one situation we inevitably will face all season is Tom Brady ain't walking through that door...

But we don't have to prove we can hang with projected playoff caliber teams until we or they manage to get to the playoffs. The object here remains the same as always, win each game one at a time, make the playoffs, win the division, win the conference, win the whole enchilada. Style points are irrelevant.

We don't do all of that every time even with Brady in case some of you hadn't noticed.... And we started this run as a .500 team with a sideways throwing backup QB in week 10 of the 2001 season.

That last paragraph should be enshrined in the Patsfans Hall of Fame.

Read the last month of posts on this board with that in mind. Then remember those 5 losses inculded losing to THE BENGALS, the Jets when we scored 3 points all day, getting killed by Miami, and again by Denver and a loss proving we couldn't beat the eventual NFC Champ. Today, if ANYTHING goes wrong, we are doomed. If we can't win this week that means we have no hope at doing anything this season. etc, etc.

THE WHOLE THING STARTED when a season was 62.5% over, we were medicore and had a QB that was unheardof, unheralded and untested. Hmmm.

My point was that from a schedule point of view, this is somewhat important. The AFCE is not cake this year, and the months of late Oct-Nov actually have some very tough matchups. Denver, Buffalo, Indy, the Steelers, and the Jets. Of course it's not the end of the world, but it'll worry me to walk into that stretch at 3-2.
Good point. Also keep in mind that next week the Chargers travel to Buffalo, who will have an extra week to prepare, coming off a bye. Aside from not playing at home and having to travel across three time zones, San Diego could have a bit of an emotional letdown, win or lose, after playing the Patriots. Obviously it would be much more preferable to remain even with the Bills.

I don't believe in Week 6 statement games.

The NFL changes way too much to be making any definitive conclusions 5 games into the season.

We can blow them out and end up winning the division. We can get blown out and end up winning the division.

I would be more worried about a 10pt game that ends as a 24 pt game then the other way around

A 10pt game that becomes a 24pt game says something about the age or inexperience of your defense and tiring out late in the 2nd half which we all know as Pats fans has happened the past 2 seasons in the playoffs - That to me is the difference - I would rather see a 24pt game become a 10pt game at the end,even if it is a loss that means the offense picked up and the defense held its own in the 2nd half.

I disagree. Sometimes games can get out of hand at the end. Making up a 10pt deficit in the 4th quarter is not an easy thing to do. If we're going to lose, I'd rather do some good things for most of the game and lose the 4th than do nothing until garbage time.

I don't believe in Week 6 statement games.

The NFL changes way too much to be making any definitive conclusions 5 games into the season.

We can blow them out and end up winning the division. We can get blown out and end up winning the division.

Very well said. IMO, weeks 8 thru 10 are statement games. These are make or break times for most teams.

That being said, we have the Steelers, Indy, and Buffalo.

We should be 5 - 1 going into those three weeks.

If we come out going 7 - 2, we will be in very good shape.

Its just week 6 but this Charger team despite its 2-3 record which could have easily have been 4-1 or 5-0 to me is a big indication of how this Patriots team will fare down the stretch because the Chargers are still a pretty good team,Despite having Turner as HC

SD has alot of injuries which sucks because I wanted to face a team like this that is healthy and would have prefered to see Merriman,Chambers,Tomlinson and Gates in perfect health but still this is a formidable challenge and they still have loads of talent on both sides to make it tough and that is why I think this game will be somewhat of an indication of what type of season we will see from the Pats when all is said and done this year.

An easy blow out win by the Pats which I think is very unlikely would set me into a huge confidence build towards not only winning the division but going deep into the playoffs and changing my mind of Cassel and probably others like me who have little confidence in the kid,

A win by 1-3 points or so would give me a little more confidence that this team has a good chance to win the division and have clearly overcome the loss of Brady

A loss by 1-3 points would show me the team can still fight with the best and still has a shot at the playoffs but there would still be uncertainty that we could beat the better teams of the league.

A loss and a blowout to the Patriots to me would probably give me the feeling this years team could only beat the sisters of the poor and I would not expect much but to realize this may be a team borderlining on mediocre

So like I said its very early in the season and injuries down the line could change things quickly I still think this game vs. SD will be a big indication of things to come for the Patriots team and their fans.
Makes sense to me. Pats lose one game big and they are hopeless. They win one game big and they are unstoppable.

It's one game, dude. The other teams earns their paychecks, too, you know.

The game isn't totally about only one of the participants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back