PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How much of a hit has the legacy of Brady and BB taken b/o Super Bowl 42?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks SDman. Just wanted to point out though that PF1996 is not a pats fan. His posts contain mainly wishful thinking...

Last edited:
Thanks SDman. Just wanted to point out though that PF1996 is not a pats fan. His posts contain mainly wishful thinking...
To all you Patriots fans. I understand your heartbreak but you all have something no other team has that gives you a great advantage over other teams. That is the combo of BB and TB. No other team in the league can match that tandem nor will be able to in the near future. The Patriots are the team to beat for the foreseeable future. It's a tough loss but your team still has a very bright future (and that's saying something considering their glittering recent past).

pao

To all you Patriots fans. I understand your heartbreak but you all have something no other team has that gives you a great advantage over other teams. That is the combo of BB and TB. No other team in the league can match that tandem nor will be able to in the near future. The Patriots are the team to beat for the foreseeable future. It's a tough loss but your team still has a very bright future (and that's saying something considering their glittering recent past).

pao

Really appreciate your posts, especially coming from an opposing fan! It's hard but I know we'll all get over it. BB/TB are an amazing combo and luckily this isn't something that has happened at the end of their careers. PLENTY of time to regain their superbowl winning mojo. SDman I wish you the best! Your team is looking pretty good themselves with all their young talent and will continue to be a contender next season.

as a rival fan but priding myself on being unbiased, brady's still the best in the nfl

but i don't think he can catch montana now for that #1 spot all time

if i was a pats fan, the way he's lost in the last two playoff games would be troubling

but he's had supporting cast let him down those 2 games

he didn't play great in the sb, he missed alot of passes, but asante let him down on that gift int he should have had, and caldwell and some others , let him down in indy last season in the playoffs.

No bigger stage than SB 42

1. Brady's reputation as big money, clutch winner- I don't think he takes a hit here...because his numbers were decent, he had no protection and he engineered that late drive to put the PATS ahead. I still think he is in the top 5 quarterbacks of all time

2. BB reputation- the coaching was so abysmal and he was clearly outcoached by Coughlin and he failed to make adjustments in the second half.
I think he lost an opportunity to clearly be considered the greatest coach ever with the performance last night.

Not to throw theory into the conspiracy...
...but, I think that the Commish handed Bill B, the offer he couldn't refuse, by way of a "Throw the game or else, FIX" in light of Spygate and in a last strong effort to quash a possible senate investigation into Anti-Trust Exemption. The NFL's Gotta' look CLEAN and "Bill Personality" publicly, just rubs dirty, the wrong way!
Discuss...

...but, I think that the Commish handed Bill B, the offer he couldn't refuse, by way of a "Throw the game or else, FIX" in light of Spygate and in a last strong effort to quash a possible senate investigation into Anti-Trust Exemption. The NFL's Gotta' look CLEAN and "Bill Personality" publicly, just rubs dirty, the wrong way!
Discuss...
that is the denial stage

Discuss...
i actually thought the same thing very briefly but then came to my senses.

John's legacy would have been great had he not won those last two SBs....and face it, he wasn't the reason they won them at that point.

Yep. That would be Terrel Davis. He saved the Broncos. I know JE threw for over 300 yards in the last SB, but without TD I don't think he does that. I admit that I was in awe of TD when he played.

Elway probably would have ended up a HOFer, but a it would have taken a lot longer. He has some real stinker SBs before that.

The SB win against the the Packers was horrible. Watch that 3rd quarter again. Awful football.

that is the denial stage

OH!, I'm not in denial.
I'm a STEELER FAN. And having watched that beat down yesterday with a group of Patriots fans, the Host being a very good friend of mine, I felt as bad for him as when the STEELERS lost to Dallas in SB30.
I felt really bad for his son, a 5yr old Patriots fan, whose Hero let him down.
That being said, Truely, I believe that the Head Office Laid it down! In order to deflect attention away from "SPYGATE". I'ts gonna heat up, Base or Baseless, the NFL ain't going down on this one.

i actually thought the same thing very briefly but then came to my senses.

Come to your senses?

I'm not here to Razz yinz about the game.
Just posting a somewhat reasonable response as to why the Patriots failed, in the end, to show up.

I was absolutely shocked that the Patriots lost.

I think they both take a hit.

Anyone involved in such a choke job has too. 50 TD passes. Offensive records scattered. But in the final game, they score 14 points. And they only scored 7 through most of the game. Getting it done is supposed to be what they are about. They didn't.

Come to your senses?
The scenario you mentioned popped into my mind very briefly. I quickly realized though, that nobody could script a QB narrowly escaping what likely is a game ending sack, have him nail a receivers helmet 30yds down the field and have the guy actually come down with the ball, then proceed to convert another 3rd down and score with 35 secs left in the game.

No excuses or conspiracies or denial needed, we got our asses kicked and the offensive line folded under pressure. The game, despite the lackluster performance of the offensive line and coaching, was still nearly won a # of times that final drive.

OH!, I'm not in denial.
I'm a STEELER FAN. And having watched that beat down yesterday with a group of Patriots fans, the Host being a very good friend of mine, I felt as bad for him as when the STEELERS lost to Dallas in SB30.
I felt really bad for his son, a 5yr old Patriots fan, whose Hero let him down.
That being said, Truely, I believe that the Head Office Laid it down! In order to deflect attention away from "SPYGATE". I'ts gonna heat up, Base or Baseless, the NFL ain't going down on this one.
no way a guy like BB throws a game , even so, they won the game late till asante dropped the gift int

1. Brady's reputation as big money, clutch winner- I don't think he takes a hit here...because his numbers were decent, he had no protection and he engineered that late drive to put the PATS ahead. I still think he is in the top 5 quarterbacks of all time

2. BB reputation- the coaching was so abysmal and he was clearly outcoached by Coughlin and he failed to make adjustments in the second half.
I think he lost an opportunity to clearly be considered the greatest coach ever with the performance last night.
Meh, TB's legacy is secure. So is BB's. It almost shocks me that it appears I have an opportunity to enlighten a pats fan. The NE legacy is secure. I think.

But this SB will go down in infamy in the history of the NFL. Heheh, nobody has ever seen this.

A hit, to be sure, but it all depends on where they go from here. If they win a couple more Super Bowls together, they'll still be at the very top.

IMHO, Brady is still the finest QB who has ever played the game. It sucks that his Super Bowl record will always have something in the loss column as opposed to someone like Montana, but Montana never won a game without offensive line protection (see games versus the Giants in the 1986-87 and 1990-91 season playoffs when Belichick's defense smoked him). In my personal opinion, if anything, this game only strengthened Tom's legacy for me. He wasn't perfect, but like the saying goes, great players aren't great, they're only great when they have to be. Tom was great when he had to be, almost inexplicably, taking the offense upon his shoulders out of the blue, when it looked like the offense was capable of going nowhere. 80-yard TD drive culminating with a score with under 3 min. to go, and the TD pass coming on 3rd down - the drive was as vintage Brady as anything I've seen, and something ANY great QB would have been proud of (if even capable of).

I think Tom will have to QB a team to another Super Bowl win to rank up there with the greatest of greats in most people's minds, and if he does that, it would be simply incredible. 4 Super Bowl wins and one Super Bowl loss trumps the accomplishment of someone like Montana who went 4-0 in Super Bowls but had plenty of years in which he and his team suffered crushing defeats in the playoffs (7 playoff losses - these just don't get remembered as much).

Belichick ... well, this hurts. But he could still easily win a 4th Super Bowl, or maybe even more. I thought it was a superb defensive gameplan overall, despite some minor miscues. It all comes down to execution. How the heck did Bradshaw get his own fumble back at the 30 in the 2nd quarter? The Eli escape, the Asante drop - these were all plays in which Bill's defense was correctly in play to break the back of the Giants, and the players didn't execute. 9 straight quarters without giving up a TD in the Playoffs - then 2 in the 4th quarter against the Giants. Unbelievable.

In short, it all depends on where they go from here. The only way to really undo the damage would be to go 19-0 some other year. Brady won 3 SB's in his first 4 years as a starter. It would take another herculean effort, but it wouldn't surprise me if he did the same thing with Belichick in Brady's last 4 years.

Last edited:
What is "legacy"? Is it a car?

I don't care. It's all subjective. Glad to have them on the Pats. That's all I can say.

1. Brady's reputation as big money, clutch winner- I don't think he takes a hit here...because his numbers were decent, he had no protection and he engineered that late drive to put the PATS ahead. I still think he is in the top 5 quarterbacks of all time.

I run with the view of Jason Whitlock as the proper one.

I don't know how much more anyone could expect from Brady. With all the "protection issues", no picks. The only hit to the legacy is that he no longer can be matched with Bradshaw and Montana as having multiple wins with no defeats.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back