PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How much more heartbreak can we patriot fans take?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You act as if this was all just luck, but I am trying to see the underlying reasons why these seasons end the same way, seemingly every year. There is almost always a key third down not converted, followed by a Defensive collapse. It's not just luck...what is the reason?

His superior coaching has hidden these reasons from plain view. But they are still there.

When you get to the Super Bowl and lose by 4 points on a last minute drive, you throw that stuff out the window. There is no underlying reason in a game like that.

If the Giants had won by three scores, sure. But in a game that close, it's literally the bouncing of the ball and a few key plays that determine the outcome.

Bottom line is the Patriots won 14 games and made it to the Super Bowl with the roster they had. Belichick goes about things the right way. He is smart with his draft picks and tries to make for lack of star power with shrewd FA signings. They didn't work out this year, some of the guys he drafted didn't pan out. That happens EVERYWHERE. Yet they still were one singular play away from winning the Super Bowl and are one of the top teams in the league EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be obnoxious, but anyone that thinks they know how to "fix" the Patriots after watching the last decade plus of Patriots football is the one suffering from hubris.

That's called karma.

Oh, sweet irony.

As an apparent Colts fan, you may want to choose your words a little more carefully. It may be a loooong time before you leave the basement of your division after watching the Saints running for the game closer in the Super Bowl not that long ago. Karma, indeed.

Let's just become Browns fans.

In each of the aforementioned seasons, a single thread emerges. The Offense (Yes, the Offense) could not make a play to turn the tide. The absolute dearth of playmakers on the Offensive side of the ball has killed the Dynasty, such as it existed. Against elite teams, they cannot sustain drives and control the clock. This drains the Defense, leading to their inexorable collapse.

In each hearbreaking loss, Brady has been left to make key plays to sustain drives with the likes of Troy Brown (8th Round draft Choice) in the Broncos loss and Colts loss (not to mention castoff Reche Caldwell), an aging Kevin Faulk (4th and 2), an alligator armed spent Randy Moss (SB 42), UDFA Wes Welker and Danny Woodhead (beloved overachievers both but complementary players at best) as well as an old and slow Deion Branch (a shadow of his former self). Granted there have been playmakers, but any Defense worth it's salt will take away the best ones. Where are the Blue Chip athletes on Offense? They are on the line and at TE. Both work between the lines. Yet, BB and Caserio will spend late April proving how "smart" they are by playing the draft board as if it's a chess board. Sometimes Football is just checkers; have the most Kings on the board and you'll Win.

Brady is getting injured more and more. Soon, he'll be gone. Some of his best years will have been wasted. At some point he has to ask himself why he goes through all of this? He has it all. He can walk away reasonably healthy, very wealthy and undoubtedly wiser for the experience but no more decorated in glory than he is today.

Next year we will go to Training Camp, watch games in person and on TV and be fully invested as if those old glory days will return, but at the end of the day I am confident that they will not. This is because the fate of this team is determined primarily by one man, and that man is not Tom Brady, it is BB. His legacy is being diminished by his hubris. Every Dictatorship always has a period of short lived glory, a slow decline and a miserable ending. The timeline will be decided by how long the Kraft's can endure this perpetual Ground Hog Day. BTW, I'd love to be wrong...

In the meantime, can someone just take out Bernard Pollard's knees?

I disagree. The pats have some young talent on both sides of the ball and have a hof QB and coach. We may not win the superbowl every year but we will be in the mix.

Whatever floats your boat Sigmund, but spare us the "dimestore" psychology and don't try to preach and assume to know anything about anyone on a football team messageboard. If people want to vent, let them without coming here and telling us how "silly" we are and giving the meaning of life.

Firstly, as long as I don't break board guidelines, I can post whatever I want, just like you can.

Secondly, I don't give a crap what you do. If you want to waste your time being miserable, that's your problem, not mine. I'm just trying to bring perspective. It's a nice thing to have.

Just can't shake the feeling that the Pats let us down again.

Also can't shake the feeling that we'll never make it to the SB again.

They have a chance to rebuild the defense, but I don't trust this team to step up when it really matters.

Maybe I'm just hungover.

Firstly, as long as I don't break board guidelines, I can post whatever I want, just like you can.

Secondly, I don't give a crap what you do. If you want to waste your time being miserable, that's your problem, not mine. I'm just trying to bring perspective. It's a nice thing to have.

Fair enough. Feel free to pontificate away.

Just watching the Superbowl was gut wrenching as it ended losing to the Giants again. I wanted Brady and Belichick to get their fourth, but it looks like Brady's window might be closing soon...

Yea I think thats Bill and Brady's last SB, sucks to go out that way.

A better question is how much more glory can the Giants attain?

Four years ago was an amazing cinderella story.

Eight weeks ago they lost the second time this season to the Redskins and were 7-7, on the verge of playoff elimination. And yet they won the SB.

Amazing. Unbelievable.

Lessons Learned From 'Giant' Super Bowl

Jeez guys. This is heartbreaking sure, The fans of other teams are going to gloat sure but time heals all.

I for one am proud of the defense, if you ask someone would a team that started 11 Undrafted FA on defense would make it to the SB they would say yeah right not with the new league rules.

I feel they played their hearts out in that game. We just lacked a couple of play-makers on both sides of the ball. We overachieved with what is referred to as inferior talent in the media and the Giants underachieved until they decided to play like the talent dictates, got hot at the right time and got lucky......very lucky. But they made plenty of mistakes as well and we just didn't make them pay for it. A healthy Gronk I think would have played the great denominator.

Not for nothing but Eli was just as harassed as Brady was in that game. We just need some young lions and depth at the OLB and DE positions. A decent Safety to compliment Chung and McCourty(when he switches). A WR that can beat man to man so that to punish teams that double Welker, Gronk and Hernandez.

Oh and committing to develop the young talent at RB that we have in Ridley and Vereen. The last time we won a SB was with a RB that could take over a game and close it out with a lead.........Dillon and Smith were damn good at it.

In closing Thank You Mr. Kraft, Belichick and Tom for a another season of over-achieving and being an elite team.

Last edited:
Just watching the Superbowl was gut wrenching as it ended losing to the Giants again. I wanted Brady and Belichick to get their fourth, but it looks like Brady's window might be closing soon...

Yet if Welker catches that pass we are not even having this conversation. Brady was on fire and after he got planted in the ground by Tuck he was not the same. He threw 7-17 after that. You have to assume Brady was hurt. Barring any injuries Brady has 3 more years to complete for a SB.

Wrong, because you have no clue. You wouldn't know heartbreak like a true New England sports fan. With all the success we've experienced has also come a lot more heartbreak than you'll ever know. Especially being from a a typical fair-weather fan base like the San Diego Chargers.

i live in quebec, you're actually more fair weather than me lol

Yet if Welker catches that pass we are not even having this conversation. Brady was on fire and after he got planted in the ground by Tuck he was not the same. He threw 7-17 after that. You have to assume Brady was hurt. Barring any injuries Brady has 3 more years to complete for a SB.

If Welker catches that pass it doesn't mean its a sure win...maybe they get stopped short and go for 3 points,maybe Gost misses the FG...A number of things could have happened even if Welker catches that pass.

I think if Brady doesn't throw that pick to a well covered Gronkowski that might have made a difference as well.

If the Pats had even recovered ONE of the Giants fumbles it changes the game as well.

Welker was only one of many reasons why the Pats lost or could have won.

it's true , each mistake is important and possibly game changing, but people will always remember the last mistake, the mccree fumbled int, the welker dropped pass

If Welker catches that pass it doesn't mean its a sure win...maybe they get stopped short and go for 3 points,maybe Gost misses the FG...A number of things could have happened even if Welker catches that pass.

I think if Brady doesn't throw that pick to a well covered Gronkowski that might have made a difference as well.

If the Pats had even recovered ONE of the Giants fumbles it changes the game as well.

Welker was only one of many reasons why the Pats lost or could have won.

Brady simply forgot gronk was injured on that play. A healthy gronk would have destroyed that LB

:)

more important to do the right thing,

and thats *exactly* what i'm going to do :)

~peace

thomas :)

Last edited:

This, as soon as I saw the medical team around him I knew there was a problem, Brady is one tough SOB so if the Docs are checking him you know it's an issue.

I didn't read, but as much as I hated the loss-- how much more heartbreak can we take? Are you kidding me? We have the best QB in the NFL, possibly ever. We make the Superbowl in 50% of the seasons he starts. We've won 3 of those 5. It's incredible.

Now I hate the Giants, and I do wish I could go back in time and castrate Archie before he had the chance to gift us with Petyon and Eli.

All that said, being a Pats fan is WAY WAY WAY better than when I was growing up. We have a consistent chance to make the playoffs EVERY YEAR.

Oh yeah-- and we have a couple prospects on the team that could turn out to re-write the books on their positions too. And other fun players like Brandon Spikes who has been better and better every game.

I'm sad, but that said-- GO PATS. Unlike other teams, we have renewed hope for next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back