PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How much longer will Patrick Chung last?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there anyone on this team who doesn't suck?

People should just ignore Deus Irae. Almost every post he makes is laughable and you wonder if he's being serious and/or even watching the games. McCourty was a beast in the Buffalo game and overall has been MUCH MUCH better than last season. He is regaining form and if he keeps this up our secondary will be in decent shape.

Tavon Wilson has looked solid in pass coverage in limited reps, he should eventually steal the job from the inferior Gregory.

Chung is average at best in pass coverage, but is solid in the box as a run stopper. Would like to see him with Tavon by the end of the season.

Last edited:
Chung is better than all the safeties we have had over the last two seasons at least (b4 this one)

this means that he beats out meriweather, sanders, and definetely the scrubs we though in there all throughout last year...

so he's nice in a sanders, safety-in-the-box type of deal

but he should not be a starter, especially not so when the offenses we face rely on the pass to beat us...we need to starting coverage safeties back there for most of the time

conclusion: Chung as the 3rd, and designated box run support safety is fine, and quite an upgrade from all other 3rd safeties in recent memory, but as a coverage guy he does not cut it, id like to see him back in a backup role, hopefully wilson shines b4 this season is over (and if we're really lucky gregory starts playing much better), but safety needs to be looked at this offseason (again)...maybe a FA this time/

We aren't facing the Patriots' offense every week. There are, at the very most, 3 other teams with our offensive firepower: the Packers, the Saints and the Texans. If we are getting burnt by those guys, okay, there's nothing to be ashamed of. That's not exactly the case though.

Even HOU isn't on that level, we played Flacco, Fitz, Kolb, and Locker. None of these guys have sniffed an MVP or league leading stats.

Even HOU isn't on that level, we played Flacco, Fitz, Kolb, and Locker. None of these guys have sniffed an MVP or league leading stats.

we talking about defense or specific players now?

our defense hasn't exactly been getting burned...

Is there anyone on this team who doesn't suck?

That's certainly what I'm beginning to wonder. Unless your name is Wilfork, Jones, Mayo, Spikes (the latest hero), then it seems you suck. I even read somewhere that some fan was dogging on Hightower a little. So that means five of our eleven defensive "starters" suck by that estimation.

Last edited:
Chung has had some good moments, he helped with the re-invigoration of the defense at the end of last year (though in hindsight, maybe that was mostly Spikes). But his play this season so far has been uninspiring at best, and unfortunately, the body of work isn't there to justify him being around past this season.

I wish we could've landed Delmas. I was always on that bandwagon. I wonder where the team had him ranked.

Rams snaked Delmas 1 pick ahead of the Pats. So it's way too late to change history. Chung is solid in the box but has shown to be a liability in coverage. I think maybe Ebner will be ready by next year. He is a very solid tackler and has a nose for the ball.

Our safety tandem might eventually be Wilson/Ebner. Which would mean the Pats hit the lottery on safeties in 2012 much like they did the TE position in 2010.

Let's get rid of all our players as soon as they learn the system, if they aren't all pros who are never injured, making highlight reel plays every game.

After all, that guy we saw on Saturday must be much better in every way and if he isn't, we can cut him because he's a bust and start over.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

That's certainly what I'm beginning to wonder. Unless your name is Wilfork, Jones, Mayo, Spikes (the latest hero), then it seems you suck. I even read somewhere that some fan was dogging on Hightower a little. So that means five of our eleven defensive "starters" suck by that estimation.

Spikes is still on the team? I thought he was a bust that sucked? I need a program.

Let's get rid of all our players as soon as they learn the system, if they aren't all pros who are never injured, making highlight reel plays every game.

After all, that guy we saw on Saturday must be much better in every way and if he isn't, we can cut him because he's a bust and start over.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Nobody is saying that Chung doesn't know the system. What people are saying is that Chung's weakness is his ability in coverage. What people are saying is that, in today's NFL, that's never a good thing. Several of those people have also lauded his ability as an in-the-box safety.

Nobody is saying that Chung doesn't know the system. What people are saying is that Chung's weakness is his ability in coverage. What people are saying is that, in today's NFL, that's never a good thing. Several of those people have also lauded his ability as an in-the-box safety.

So, he's like Rodney Harrison in that respect. You're not saying Harrison was one of the best safeties in coverage, are you?

So, he's like Rodney Harrison in that respect. You're not saying Harrison was one of the best safeties in coverage, are you?

You're bordering on hyperbole on your part. And no, I'm on record (here at the time Rodney was playing actually) that Rodney himself was a bit of a liability in coverage. But that was when he was past his prime. In his prime, Rodney was a MUCH better cover safety than Chung is to this day, and probably ever will be.

You're bordering on hyperbole on your part. And no, I'm on record (here at the time Rodney was playing actually) that Rodney himself was a bit of a liability in coverage. But that was when he was past his prime. In his prime, Rodney was a MUCH better cover safety than Chung is to this day, and probably ever will be.

Well, Harrison ended his career here, his prime was in San Diego. I don't think anyone is saying Chung is primarily a coverage safety. He's (hopefully) part of a team that will work together.

Maybe he won't be offered a contract, but I couldn't care less about that now, we have a season to play. However, wanting to get rid of competent players as soon as they get a couple years in, in favor of the next shiny object, is absurd.

It's what losing teams do.

Well, Harrison ended his career here, his prime was in San Diego. I don't think anyone is saying Chung is primarily a coverage safety. He's (hopefully) part of a team that will work together.

Maybe he won't be offered a contract, but I couldn't care less about that now, we have a season to play. However, wanting to get rid of competent players as soon as they get a couple years in, in favor of the next shiny object, is absurd.

It's what losing teams do.

Then why haven't the Patriots shown even the least bit of interest in extending him an offer already? If they thought highly enough of him, they'd lock him up before the season is out. Personally, I think Vollmer is a MUCH higher priority than Chung.

I'm sorry but Chung is no Harrison. Not even close. Let's avoid the hyperbole here. There isn't going to be another Rodne Harrison.

Chung has room for improvement. And there's still 12 games to go in the regular season so hopefully he will play better down the stretch. The defense is a work in progress. Even though we've seen some positive signs they've still given up 28 points in two of the games played so far. Luckily here is still a lot of potential for improvement. Young defense we are fielding, there will be some growing pains but the athleticism is through the roof compared to even 2 or 3 years ago.

Chung has not played well this year. I think we can all agree on that, he has definitely had trouble.

However, there is no denying that the defense last year got instantly better when he came back from injury. Chung needs to play better. However, his strong suit is playing in the box, not playing coverage. For some reason, the Patriots are asking him to do stuff he isn't great at doing. Maybe he is the best cover S on the team? I don't know.

Anyhow, I expect him to improve as the season progresses.

As for why they haven't signed him, that is obvious, the guy cannot stay healthy. They want to see how he does this year and then decide whether it is worth singing him or not. The truth is that Chung hasn't done a lot to warrant an extension, but he has shown enough to keep the team thinking that he might be worth resigning.

I'm sorry but Chung is no Harrison. Not even close. Let's avoid the hyperbole here. There isn't going to be another Rodne Harrison.

Chung has room for improvement. And there's still 12 games to go in the regular season so hopefully he will play better down the stretch. The defense is a work in progress. Even though we've seen some positive signs they've still given up 28 points in two of the games played so far. Luckily here is still a lot of potential for improvement. Young defense we are fielding, there will be some growing pains but the athleticism is through the roof compared to even 2 or 3 years ago.

Even though this isn't saying much, I see this defense as being the best defense the Patriots have fielded since the 2008 season. And, even with that being said, it still needs some work (CB and S being the most notable).

Then why haven't the Patriots shown even the least bit of interest in extending him an offer already? If they thought highly enough of him, they'd lock him up before the season is out. Personally, I think Vollmer is a MUCH higher priority than Chung.

I agree if Vollmers back is fine we have a Stud RT who's feet is good enough to play on the Left Side...Good swing Tackles don't fall off trees. Vollmer just truned 28 too wouldn't mind them giving him another Four Contract to keep him and Solder protecting Brady's flanks. Vollmer should be top priority in FA 2013 or before.

Even though this isn't saying much, I see this defense as being the best defense the Patriots have fielded since the 2008 season. And, even with that being said, it still needs some work (CB and S being the most notable).

4 games in, still early.

4 games in, still early.

I know, but the pass defense 4 games in still looks better than it did at ANY time last season. For example, a guy like Kevin Kolb would have thrown for 400 yards on last year's defense. 2010's defense was wildly overrated due to the fact that they got their hands on a good amount of turnovers. When they didn't, they were driven on like snow by the likes of Mark Sanchez. 2009's defense, IMO, was one of the worst of the Belichick era. Bad against both the pass and the run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back