PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How much longer will Patrick Chung last?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patrick Chung the new target, as the safeties come under attack by the instant experts who need to be constantly on the attack.

That, or people are actually watching the games and seeing that Chung & Gregory have been late or out of place in some of the big plays this season. It's not rocket science.

This thread was started to discuss the future of an impending free agent on the team and it's hardly been an unreasonable discussion.

I don't mean to pick on you, as you are by no means the only culprit, but this new theme of "I'm better than all the other fans here" here isn't doing anyone much good. It's a growing trend from otherwise sane and productive posters as the fanbase grows unnecessarily polarized. The result is unwarranted stifling of debate.

Last edited:
Would anyone really "overpay" for him, though? I like him, but his coverage skills (as pointed out) aren't his strong suit. He's good against the run and he's (so far this year) injury free. He's always had a good attitude and seems willing to learn unlike someone like Meriweather.

If he'll stay for a decent price keep him here. Too much turnover is no good.

I've never been high on Chung because he'a always a step late and continues to make the same mistakes week in week out. Wilson look good where Chung and Gregory do not. As Deus points out, Safety is a massive need either in Free Agency or through the draft.

not willing to wait till next year for a solution in the middle of the field. i'd rather they consider giving Ras I more of a shot at corner and looking at mccourty at safety along with wilson. I think the front 7 is strong enough to have to cover safeties. I also think both Wilson & Mccourty are capable in run support. I havent given up on Chung & Gregory as yet, but as a tandem its not been pretty. Maybe Wilson alone provides the stability coming down the stretch.

Would anyone really "overpay" for him, though? I like him, but his coverage skills (as pointed out) aren't his strong suit. He's good against the run and he's (so far this year) injury free. He's always had a good attitude and seems willing to learn unlike someone like Meriweather.

If he'll stay for a decent price keep him here. Too much turnover is no good.

What he gets on the free agent market will depend a lot on the quality of talent available on said market.

I really thought the kid would be something special when they drafted him. I think he is really good in run support because his style and aggressiveness both lend themselves to that. However, he has and probably always will be abysmal in coverage, whether zone or, especially, man-to-man. Someone else posted that he often makes the same mistakes week after week, but I'll take it a step further in saying that he makes a lot of the same mistakes during the same game.

I really like Pat Chung, but he's not a very good cover safety. As someone else stated, if Tavon can emerge as a good cover safety, then I think Chung can stick around as long as his asking price remains in check. However, I do believe that there is some stupid team out there that will offer him way more than he's worth and, as a young player trying to secure his financial future, he will be likely to take it and run.

not willing to wait till next year for a solution in the middle of the field. i'd rather they consider giving Ras I more of a shot at corner and looking at mccourty at safety along with wilson. I think the front 7 is strong enough to have to cover safeties. I also think both Wilson & Mccourty are capable in run support. I havent given up on Chung & Gregory as yet, but as a tandem its not been pretty. Maybe Wilson alone provides the stability coming down the stretch.
Gregory has shown why the Chargers kicked him to the sideline hodgey. Through week 4, he's been just awful. Chung has been in the Patriots system for some time and rarely strung together meaningful performances. I blame our Safety issues on Dashon Goldson going back to the 49ers. Geez he would have been a nice signing.

Imagine the defensive improvement had the Pats been able to sign Red Bryant and Dashon Goldson.

That's how I see it, too. Wilson seems to be coming into his own, and in today's NFL I'm not a big fan of safeties who can't cover. Pats would still go into the offseason needing another safety, but that bridge can be crossed when we come to it.

If Chung had played 20 years ago, he would have been a lot more valuable than he is today.

That's ridiculous......how the hell is a boy 5 years old ready to play in the NFL? :confused:

Gregory has shown why the Chargers kicked him to the sideline hodgey. Through week 4, he's been just awful. Chung has been in the Patriots system for some time and rarely strung together meaningful performances. I blame our Safety issues on Dashon Goldson going back to the 49ers. Geez he would have been a nice signing.

Imagine the defensive improvement had the Pats been able to sign Red Bryant and Dashon Goldson.

I wanted us to sign Goldson badly! Chung with Wilson may work, but we need to find a better combo than Gregory/chung IMHO.

We need a new thread...

'How many NFL Safeties would you rank above Patrick Chung?'

Might be a long list for most of us :cool:

I've never understood all of the Chung hype.

As many have stated, he is much better suited to play in the box, where his tackling and hard hitting skills benefit him.

Unfortunately, one of the attributes of a safety means that you need to have at least mediocre coverage skills, and Chung has never once possessed that skillset.

I don't agree with those who say he 'sucks,' but he certainly isn't the answer either. He is an obvious liability with the ball in the air.

The CB's have looked much better, the safeties have not. I'm not sure why the one or two people who disagree say otherwise, but as many have noted, I would love to hear it.

But watching the games I can see a noticeable improvement on the play of our front seven; the secondary, on the other hand, seems to be in 2011 form still.

I don't think that it's fair to blame the entire secondary, as the CB play has shown improvement. Keep in mind that Arrington was meant to be the star position/slot CB the past 2 years also, had it not been for the lack of Dowling's playing time and progression.

McCourty has improved, Arrington is what he is--which is mediocre but okay for a #2 or #3, and Moore has looked fine too playing in the nickle.

The safeties were the majority of the problem last year, and this year looks no different thus far in.

We aren't facing the Patriots' offense every week. There are, at the very most, 3 other teams with our offensive firepower: the Packers, the Saints and the Texans. If we are getting burnt by those guys, okay, there's nothing to be ashamed of. That's not exactly the case though.

The 49ers and Falcons think you aren't watching enough football. Especially since you're including this years Saints in the discussion..

I don't think that it's fair to blame the entire secondary, as the CB play has shown improvement. Keep in mind that Arrington was meant to be the star position/slot CB the past 2 years also, had it not been for the lack of Dowling's playing time and progression.

McCourty has improved, Arrington is what he is--which is mediocre but okay for a #2 or #3, and Moore has looked fine too playing in the nickle.

The safeties were the majority of the problem last year, and this year looks no different thus far in.
I agree with most of this except Arrington isn't okay as a #2 corner. He's actually borderline awful.

IMO, Chung is nothing more than disappointing. When healthy (not very often) he still does little. Maybe I was spoiled by Rodney, but Chung has not lived up to his draft status. Now, he even has to worry about hitting hard b/c he is so fragile. He is not good in coverage - so maybe he should be used more to bring QB pressure. Unfortunately, we have no one on this roster who is good at Safety - although, I do like Wilson's progreession thus far. I would not re-up with Chung unless it comes in at a number good for the team. He is familiar with the system, but in no way do you break the bank for the guy.

The Chargers didn't kick him to the sideline. That sort of ignorant comment is beneath you, Ausbacker. Gregory was their top reserve safety. Not to mention that, he's only in his 1st year as a Pats safety, yet you people are expecting the next coming of Ed Reed.

Gregory has been decent. Not spectacular, but not atrocious like some of the "great talent evaluators" have claimed.

The Pats passed on Goldson last year. That should tell you enough about him.

The only reason the secondary is still meh is due to Chung/Gregory's mediocrity, and partly Arrington being the other starting CB in the base. Mccourty for 90% of this year has performed as a top 10 CB, Arrington is good in the slot, and Moore has done well as the other outside CB in the nickel.

I honestly think if you started Ebner and Wilson there wouldn't be much of a difference.

I agree with most of this except Arrington isn't okay as a #2 corner. He's actually borderline awful.

Well, that's certainly fair, but that's why I included the #2-#3 designation. I would agree that we can definitely do better with another outside CB, unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anyone else here that can effectively do that, especially not in Belichick's eyes.

He was supposed to be our slot CB (#3), which he can do just fine, but the injury last year + regression this year to Dowling has prevented that.

The Chargers didn't kick him to the sideline. That sort of ignorant comment is beneath you, Ausbacker. Gregory was their top reserve safety. Not to mention that, he's only in his 1st year as a Pats safety, yet you people are expecting the next coming of Ed Reed.

Gregory has been decent. Not spectacular, but not atrocious like some of the "great talent evaluators" have claimed.

Gregory has been taking lousy angles and missing tackles, and Goldson turned down the Patriots, not the other way around:

Patriots followers might recall the Patriots had Goldson in for a free-agent visit last August. In fact, the team made him an offer.

Now, Goldson is the 49ers' franchise-tag player.

Revisiting Goldson pursuit - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Outside of the Titans game, Gregory has been atrocious DaBruinz. Perhaps you're right that kicking him to the sideline is a strong notion, but I stand by the notion that he's performed poorly.

I'm not willing to give Gregory any free ride comments. Chandler Jones, Dont'a Hightower and Tavon Wilson have all had the same amount of exposure with the Patriots. All 3 have looked tremendously better than Gregory.

Putting the Gregory comments aside, Chung is more of a problem than Gregory. As for Goldson, I thought he turned down the Patriots?

Last edited:

Where have the CBs shown improvement? McCourty was awful in Baltimore, and the two INTs he had against the Bills were on underthrown balls that would have gone for big gains if Fitzpicksix had made decent throws.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back