PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How much is left in Corey Dillon's tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldrover

"You're gonna have to serve somebody..."
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
A recurring topic within threads seems to be Dillon's play, or deterioration therein. IMHO, he's definitely lost a step. But he is a beast in the red zone... he's sort of turned into Bettis this year. Would I feel comfortable with him as the main back next year? Yes. Hell, we had Antowan Smith for three years and won two SB's, and Dillon is better than Smith. But beyond next year? I think he'll have to be replaced, unless he somehow regains a bit of quickness that maybe injuries have stolen from him this year.

I think dillon has another good 5 years. He may be older, but that man is a monster. Well... my opinion doesnt help much, considering hes my 2nd favorite back behind barber... :p

oldrover said:
...he's definitely lost a step. But beyond next year? I think he'll have to be replaced, unless he somehow regains a bit of quickness that maybe injuries have stolen from him this year.

That's what the sports editor from the Providence Journal said a few hours ago on 99.7 FM. Personally I think I've seen a little tension between Brady and Dillon. Even when they celebrate a TD it seems more like people who work together, but (at least for the moment) don't really like each other. I wonder if Brady has been riding him a little. Clearly, I could be wrong, but in the little bit of interaction I see between them in between plays I get that impression.

Man is this what it's come to?

I mean, I know Dillon had a rough upbringing and comes from a tough neighborhood, but does he really need a tank?

That's just going a bit too far for me. He should just carry a Glock like every other guy in the NFL.

Dillons nickname should be "The Firetruck"

Seriously, I think the team half expected this when he signed his extension - which I think is effectively a 2 year $10 million deal.

Perhaps they had hopes that Kory Chapman might relegate Dillon to a part time duty role later, but the Colts scooped him up (I wonder if he'll get any reps in their last game?)

I don't like that Dillon is on the wrong side of 30, a tell tale sign of drop off for MOST backs recently. For this year we just need him in 2004 form for just 4 games in the playoffs , I don't think thats expecting too much, but i think well be lucky to get a 1300 yard type season from him in the future.

I wondered if it was Dillion or the Oline.

I think it may be the combination of the two.
Even the other RBs are having trouble running. But I couldn't help but notice
that in one camera angle of Dillion he looked like he has gain weight. I bet he's
closer to 240 these days. Yes he is not as quick either.
Also Graham has been injured for how many weeks now? He use to be a
big part of the blocking scheme.
A lot of factors to consider and the ineffective Run game is probably due to
several factors not just one.

The Metaphor Line

Corey has been hurt most of theyear. But everyone overlooks the two junior metaphor rookies starting on the left side of the O-line. The whole O-line has been unsettled with Ashworth/Gorin and Koppens/Hochstein elsewhere.

At midseason I saw a report that broke down our rushing game by production running right, middle and left. The rooks were only producing 2.5 YPC for all the ballcarriers, not just Corey. Elsewhere the numbers were much much better. Its not as if they don't get the good block on occasion but they also screw up and get beaten badly,too. The result is a Corey tackle in the backfield for a loss.

But as Belichick has said no one is a rookie anymore after 14 starts. And Mankins is there and Kayczur is getting up there in games started too. The others have added experience, although Russ hasn't done it a t Center before, nor had Ashworth at LOT.

Dillon will be fine next year. Its the year after that you should start to worry.

oldrover said:
A recurring topic within threads seems to be Dillon's play, or deterioration therein. IMHO, he's definitely lost a step. But he is a beast in the red zone... he's sort of turned into Bettis this year. Would I feel comfortable with him as the main back next year? Yes. Hell, we had Antowan Smith for three years and won two SB's, and Dillon is better than Smith. But beyond next year? I think he'll have to be replaced, unless he somehow regains a bit of quickness that maybe injuries have stolen from him this year.

Yeah I agree, i just don't see the burst that RB's need. He has trouble turning the corner and hitting the hole. And when RB lose it they lose it fast.
Hopefully he will turn it up a gear come playoffs. If not wondering if they would cut CD, than try getting one of the top FA RB's that are aval. in 2006. Edgrin James, Amhan Green to name a few.

NOWAKJOE said:
Yeah I agree, i just don't see the burst that RB's need. He has trouble turning the corner and hitting the hole. And when RB lose it they lose it fast.
Hopefully he will turn it up a gear come playoffs. If not wondering if they would cut CD, than try getting one of the top FA RB's that are aval. in 2006. Edgrin James, Amhan Green to name a few.

I don't want to spend the dough for two guys on the downslope of their career. Their price tag is going to far outweigh their likely on-field production. I'd rather see one of Jonathan Wells (UFA) or LaBrandon Toefield (RFA) come in on a reasonable contract and try to prove that they can be every-down NFL RBs. Mix them in with Dillon in 2006 and see if they can carry the load full time in 2007. I think we have to draft one in the middle rounds as well.

Now, if Shaun Alexander hits the open market, then maybe he's worth paying a premium for, but then we're resigned to cutting Corey, which I think may be a mistake.

Last edited:
I too think that Corey will be OK for 2006, especially if the O-line is healthy. After that, all bets are off. Hell, by then, Kevin Faulk will be on the wrong side of 30.

pray for corey dillon

dryheat44 said:
I don't want to spend the dough for two guys on the downslope of their career. Their price tag is going to far outweigh their likely on-field production. I'd rather see one of Jonathan Wells (UFA) or LaBrandon Toefield (RFA) come in on a reasonable contract and try to prove that they can be every-down NFL RBs. Mix them in with Dillon in 2006 and see if they can carry the load full time in 2007. I think we have to draft one in the middle rounds as well.

Now, if Shaun Alexander hits the open market, then maybe he's worth paying a premium for, but then we're resigned to cutting Corey, which I think may be a mistake.
BB/SP have had bad luck with trying to steal RBs in the middle round of the draft. Antoine Womack comes to mind, as does Cedric Cobbsfrom arkansas. actually, in think they were both 7th rounders.
i was hot for patriots to pick Michael "Burner" Turner out of Northern Illinois, but they instead, in 4th round, took dexter reid 35 picks earlier and cedric cobbs about 30 picks earlier. Turner has ripped off a couppe of long runds for san diego, playing behind LT.

i fear for corey in olayoffs. i think he is an OK guy who's been through too much conflict, as a kid, in college, and with bengals. he is a sensitive guy and he won't want to embarass himself on national tv. he still has the moves, but he's definitely 1/2-1 step slower. who knows what the chatter with brady is about.
i'm rooting for a move to bring in another 29-year-old RB. Ricky Williams and Jamal Lewis will both be available this offseason.
we'll see.

FWIW, Cobbs was a 4th-rounder IIRC.

first I think/hope he will be hitting midseason form once the playoffs come around. he is a pounder that gets better as the season gets longer, and missing a chunk of the middle of the season didnt help. I see him being like a better a. smith (playoff version) once the postseason comes around.
As far as the tension between him and brady, I dont see it at all. there was all the talk early in the year when brady was trying to get him back into a game, but it seems like those two are the first to run to each other for congrats after a TD and seem genuine in doing it.
corey still has power and I think at least one more good season in him, and then hopefully the year after still be hearing with another young back being groomed into the system taking a share of the snaps.

NOWAKJOE said:

No way this will happen. The $$$ these types guys would be looking for is off the charts. Ahman will never play a full season again and is a huge liability. If you wanna dream, try Shawn Alexander. Again, will never happen.

Last edited:
not the right players

Digger44 said:
No way this will happen. The $$$ these types guys would be looking for is off the charts. Ahman will never play a full season again and is a huge liability. If you wanna dream, try Shawn Alexander. Again, will never happen.
the type who we would see here is 28-29, nearing the end of his peak ability.
he's knows what it's like to win. he's sick of losing, being around losing atmospheres.
he wants a ring before his career is over.
he's made a lot of money already, is willing to play for short dough to get that ring and be around winners again.
he already talks to patriot players, know how they feel about being here..

If healthy, Dillon is one of the best RBs in the last 10-20 years.

It's time to groom a replacement though because, even if healthy, he might start declining in the next few years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back