PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How much does the offense change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the overall game plan and in-game adjustments in the playoffs last year against Jacksonville was one of the best I have ever seen. The Jags based everything on stopping the deep pass, so it was a day-long near-perfect execution of a short passing ball control strategy that Jaxsonville was never able to counter.

The game plan in the Super Bowl fell apart when even in "max protect" there was no protection. That wasn't a matter of X's and O's it was a matter of players who were properly deployed being overwhelmed by the opponent repeatedly on that day, and yet the opportunity to win was there.

Let's not forget the drive against the Chargers in the fourth quarter of the AFC Championship game that ate up the entire quarter.

I expect the Pats to run a wishbone with Brady running the option. :)

What do you think he was discussing with Urban Meyer at the bowl game? So Cassell is Tebow, Moss is Percy Harvin, Welker is Chris Rainey, Ben Watson is the Hernandez guy, etc.

;)

Then they shuttle in Brady and split out Cassell...

It was Reche Caldwell, but I agree with your point. I didn't see any risky plays in the AFC Championship game.

My bad, I confused this year's Gaffney's drops with Caldwell's :D

Well, with the return of the Wildcat offense to the NFL, the wishbone's return is only a matter of time.

It is pointless to even debate it! We have the most generic offense in the league, its not as if we had a record breaking offense around here or anything...:rolleyes:

I believe the TD drive in the Buffalo game was one of the greatest sequence of plays I have ever seen called. It was brilliant, so it must have been BB calling them. :D

Are you talking about the soul-crushing drive from the first Buffalo game, or the one from the Wind Bowl?

Are you talking about the soul-crushing drive from the first Buffalo game, or the one from the Wind Bowl?

The wind bowl. The calls during that drive were awesome.

I actually forgot about that 9 minute 92 yard drive to end the first Bills game.

Last edited:
I think that question will remain unanswered until we know who the new OC is. The offense will continue to evolve, it has to, in a league that is constantly working at stopping stuff that works. For example look at how badly the Pats were overwhelmed by their first encounter vs the Fins Wildcat, vs the second time around where the Pats pretty much shut it down to earn the win.

with a new oc how will the offense change? If it is alot will it change when Brady returns? He is rehabbing while he learns a new offense, or as a vet. qb it will not matter?

The offense will be much better with a healthy Brady and three healthy running backs available.

Josh didn't determine the offense. Belichick and Brady did (with Weiss when he was here). Dante may also hae played a major part in offensive planning. Bringing in Moss and Welker made a huge difference. Josh carried Brady's jock strap (the primary job of a QB coach for Brady), and then they made him OC rather than bring in a real OC, since none was needed.

The fact is that we will either bring in an OC or promote one, but there will be no major changes. The offense is fine; one of the best in the history of the NFL. There are absolutely no problems or holes, except a few minor needed changes (backup WR, backup OG, and backup OT).
==============================================
Comparsion of the OC situation to the DC situation is misplaced. We probably should discuss the DC situation much more. This defense doesn't look like the defense of 2001-2004. Perhaps the reason is more than just the change in players. I think that we have a solid group of players, a mixture of old and young. I don't think Pees and Capers provide much leadship or much innovation. Personally, I WOULD like to see Crennel come back. And let Capers go to Denver and give Pees a year off.

with a new oc how will the offense change? If it is alot will it change when Brady returns? He is rehabbing while he learns a new offense, or as a vet. qb it will not matter?

I don't think it changes much at all. BB didn't miss a beat with Weis gone, he won't with McD gone. Change is dictated by the personnel on the field, ie, acquiring Moss made the offense evolve.

The game plan in the Super Bowl fell apart when even in "max protect" there was no protection. That wasn't a matter of X's and O's it was a matter of players who were properly deployed being overwhelmed by the opponent repeatedly on that day, and yet the opportunity to win was there.

The Pats drove on the Giants most of the game, a few key plays and mistakes by the OL cost them a couple of drives (3rd and 1 failure to convert w Maroney, strip sack on Brady, the sack leading to 4th & 13).

To me, what is unfortunate is that the coaching staff did not sooner turn to running Moss on shorter and intermediate routes. The final drive in which they methodically drove down was a result of them going to Moss on those kind of routes. If they had taken this strategy sooner, then they might've won the game.

As it is, the offense still had the team in position to win. They should not have lost that game being up 4 with 2:30 to go and with the Giants backed up against their end zone. That final drive was an atrocity and undid what preceded it, which was a typically clutch Brady led drive, and good - albeit late - adjustments by the coaching staff re: Moss.

Last edited:
McDaniels did not invent the offense; if anything it's the same thing that was here when Weis was the OC.

I didn't say he did. Somewhere during the McDaniels tenure, though, the shotgun became the predominant lineup for the Patriots. (Apparently, the 2007 Patriots were the first team in NFL history to use the shotgun for the majority of their offensive snaps.) The LOLphins game was the pinnacle of that (something like 90% of the snaps out of the shotgun before the final drive), but it was by no means the only example.

Note I didn't reach any conclusions in my question, and I also used the word "evolution."

One thing people need to keep in mind, when the Pats offense struggles early on next season, it'll likely be because Brady is extremely rusty, not because of the change in OC.

I can just see it now, people blaming the loss of Mcdaniels instead of realizing the last game Brady lasted more than like 5 mins in was in the '08 Superbowl.

Look at Manning this season. He had the same OC, but struggled early on because of his off-season surgery.

One thing people need to keep in mind, when the Pats offense struggles early on next season, it'll likely be because Brady is extremely rusty, not because of the change in OC.

I can just see it now, people blaming the loss of Mcdaniels instead of realizing the last game Brady lasted more than like 5 mins in was in the '08 Superbowl.

Look at Manning this season. He had the same OC, but struggled early on because of his off-season surgery.

If people can't tell the difference between bad QB play and bad playcalling then maybe they should do more reading on here instead of posting. :cool:

If people can't tell the difference between bad QB play and bad playcalling then maybe they should do more reading on here instead of posting. :cool:

haha true, but you know it'll happen. Not just on here, on 'EEI, etc.

i would assume the offense wont change much based on the success its had the last few years. however, i think it may depend on who the new OC is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes