PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How many things are more exciting than a close football game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pheenix11

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I was thinking about why I care so much today. I have a nice little life, good family, nice wife, we're pretty happy. But overall, life can be pretty quiet. I think the problem for all of us is that although we are not playing there are few things in life more gut wrenchingly thrilling than watching a close football game with our team involved.

Here are a few things I can think of:

1. Having a child: Haven't done this yet but I'm sure it will be great

2. Getting Married: Wedding day was a blur, but its only 1 day and the day to day of marriage is nice but quiet.

3. Hooking up with a hot chick: Can happen a few times but down to zero when you get married. The chick (your wife) may still be hot, but the "newness" is gone

4. Getting a promotion at work: I've had this and its pretty fleeting

5. Doing well in school on exam: Like a promotion, it can be fleeting

If you add up these days, there aren't many of them. Unless you are James Bond, chances are your life is a few exhilarating moments sprinkled upon a lot dull boring days.

Now if the Pats had won last night, I'd have to rank it around #3-4. I mean that kind of heart pounding excitement doesn't come along very often. And the idea of perfection? Even better. This excitement is only obtained providing you buy into being a Patriot fan and make an emotional investment.

The key point is that I can't think of anything on this list that has such a dichotomy like winning or losing that game last night. If something great doesn't happen to you, it usually doesn't mean something horrible does. It just means you have a regular run of the mill day.

But last night's game we tetered on the edge of being estatic or devastated. There aren't many things in life that give you both opposite ends of the spectrum like that.

My life is no different today, but it does hurt that we lost, just trying to figure out why it hurts so much and this is what I came up with.

Last edited:
the op is pretty profound and more than i can handle right now.

a quick thought is that any zero sum contest (i.e, an event in which the number of winners is preordained, leaving no room for those who lose) in which you have a lot at stake mimics the experience we had yesterday. that's different than the birth of a child under normal circumstances. it is a bit like going for the "big job" at work when four people want the job and only one person can get that job.

the op is pretty profound and more than i can handle right now.

a quick thought is that any zero sum contest (i.e, an event in which the number of winners is preordained, leaving no room for those who lose) in which you have a lot at stake mimics the experience we had yesterday. that's different than the birth of a child under normal circumstances. it is a bit like going for the "big job" at work when four people want the job and only one person can get that job.

Yeah I mean having a child is all good, there is the small chance something could go wrong but for the most part its a win win situation.

Even going for a big promotion at work, even if you don't get it, chances are you still have a job.

Maybe getting into your dream college is close, since that is yes or no, but with fallbacks even that loss can be lessened a lot (providing you are realistic).

Maybe finding out whether you have cancer or not, but that is very bad vs normal (which can be a big relief and feel great I imagine).

Sports are very unique though, its all black and white, there is no gray.

My first son pooped before he came out and breathed that tarry crap in his lungs. He tried to cry and started to turn blue. That was the worst feeling I have ever had in my life.

My second son had no problems at all when he was born. That, plus my other son leaving the ICU a week later to come home are the happiest I have ever been.

I am just trying to help put things in perspective. Hope everyone feels better tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes