PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How many picks did Steve Belichick make?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't read the entire thread, so this may have been discussed already... Totally absurd to think that Steve Belichick carries that much weight. However, it's entirely plausible that he may have been able to offer some insight into just how much Schiano liked those players.

I've read elsewhere that the most damning evidence on the Rutgers players is that Schiano didn't pick them, but that's the craziest logic ever. Could be, he didn't take them because we drafted them first.

There has been a turnover in the scouts. There have been some significant changes since 2007. Some left with Dimitroff. Others left with Pioli. We here very little about what goes on amongst the actually scouts. There hasn't exactly been a ton of focus on WR despite what the pundits might say. 9 picks over 11 years isn't much. Not when you've got 24 amongst the DBs over that same period of time.

Only the people who hold the Mel Kipers, Mike Mayocks, NFLDraftscout.coms as the be all end all to scouting claim that Wilson was taken too high. The idea that Wilson has "JAG" stamped on his forehead is ludicrous. As is the thought that,some how, Steve Belichick (BB's son) influenced his father to make the Rutgers picks and it wasn't the fact that Greg Schiano coached those guys.

It's not hard to believe that you are "mystified". Your concepts of what each round of the draft should produce are lacking. If a 3rd round pick turns out to be a Star Special Teamer and a Rotational Safety that doesn't start, I'd say that's a win. But, that's just me.

You are correct. That is just you. It is pretty much of an opinion (that is just me but of the opine of others) that a third rounder must be at the least a solid starter for that investment. Fifth or sixth? Yes, I agree depth or ST guy.
DW Toys

Works for me just gotta look at the whole crop, if they come out with 2 good receivers and a good OLB/DE 3 years down the line I don't care if Harmon is king of special teams and has proven to still be overdrafted.

Exactly, unless we are talking about the top of round 1 (bigger $$$), I really don't care when a player is picked.. and I don't think BB does either.

I look at the draft class as a whole and hope that the more of them work out well rather then fade away.

The whole idea of a 'reach pick' is, in my opinion, talking head time filler. If BB and the team see a guy they want, and he's available, they'll take him, and I'm sure they don't care what Mel Kiper and his ilk think about it.

You are correct. That is just you. It is pretty much of an opinion (that is just me but of the opine of others) that a third rounder must be at the least a solid starter for that investment. Fifth or sixth? Yes, I agree depth or ST guy.
DW Toys

So, it's your erroneous expectations that are the issue. Not mine. Got it.

O.K. Cousins. theory or not, it would seem to me a conflict of interest that BB allows his son to influence the "War Room". Some of these kids made no sense. Mock or poopoo me all you want, am I not the only one who sees what is going on? These kids were Steve Belichicks best buddies at Rotgers.

Shalise Manza Young made an interesting point on a radio interview today. Without stating the obvious, she said these Rutgers kids were all recruited and played for Tampa Bay Coach Schiano. Yet Schiano won't touch any of them in the Draft. That speaks volumes..... BB "Hey Stevie boy, I know you're BFFs with that Duran kid. Think he can play?"

The standard Patriots B.S. line when they draft without sense is value pick, and their track record has been for the most part bad over the last ten years other than 2010 and last year, well they nose dived again to the "why" side I think. I know it's early. Loved Collins. Only pick I got right and had him in the second round too. Dobson is interesting, I can even buy Ryan....stop! Respectable Draft till then. I know everyone could be an All Pro, but.....If Nick Cesario uses that word "value" one more time to define these moves, there must be an attorney on this forum who can do a class action suit for libel in misuse of a word and for treating us like dummies.

I saw this and credit another poster. I agree with his assessment that Harmon would have survived easily into round five without losing the highly touted Scarlet Knight and he even knew it was too high. Last years second rounder Mr. Wilson has been a JAG so far. Yet another "Why" pick. We doubled up in 2013.

O.K. now here comes the tag line. "The Pats Draft differently". Yet every year Ted Thompson and Ozzie kick Bill's ass in the Draft room.

Look I know the Draft is luck. I know, three years is a fair evaluation of the past Draft. But nepotism at it's finest causes three Draft picks (42% of your Draft and that doesn't even include one UDFA) from that NCAA Power House Rotgers, to be jammed into the 53. Anyone want to wager they all make the squad? "Shout down from the rafters..... Roll Scarlet and flat Silver!!!!.

I like the first three picks, I liked Boyce and the Illini DE/OLB Buchanan. Not spectacular but solid in a weak Draft class.

I give BB an A+++++ as a coach and C--- as a Drafter. It would be D but he makes some good trades like Thurs. Now let's not waste them.

Anyone who does not think that Harmon could not have waited and Steve Belichick's fingerprints were not all over this pick????, well you'd be wrong then. Steve Belichick made this pick for sure. I hope I have to eat my words and Harmon is an All Pro, but even his tape stinks. Watch it.
DW Toys

that's actually a good point for the omfgreach thread.

While I doubt Steve had all that much to do with any of these picks, I did think this might be the best thread to post this picture:
A689U9_CYAEnpNd.jpg:large

So, for at least one game Rutgers even had the same colors as the Patriots...adds a little extra layer of funny to the "Rutgers North" tag I've seen thrown around on this site over the past few days.

DW Toys
DW Toys, the fact is, the average 3rd round pick is lucky to be in the league 3 years after being drafted. The idea that you should expect a starter is, to put it bluntly, ******* lunacy.

You can't even expect starters out of the 2nd round.

If you look at Pro-Football Reference's CAV (Career Approximate Value) stat, you're looking at a 10-17 for a 3rd round pick.

Larry Izzo is a 17. A career ST'er. Steve Gregory is a 25. Both of these guys would be fantastic 3rd round picks. Neither should really be starters. Darius Buttler is at 11 now, and we give him a couple more years in indy and he'll be up into the normal 2nd round range (17-30 or so).

Your expectations of what happens in each round of the draft are, frankly, silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back