PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How many picks did Steve Belichick make?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just need to consider that we drafted Buchanan in the 3rd and Harmon in the 7th and move on.

Excellent post! Bravo!
If we took Buchanan in the third and Harmon in the 7th, no biggie. My rant was not against Mr. Harmon, nor his family and it appears this kid is going to be a lawyer some day, but "Lawyer" Harmon was as shocked as we all were. Come on. Is there one poster who had this guy pegged as a three? Anyone even admit they had him penciled in? How many???

My issue was the influence in the Draft room seemed to overrule the scouts who are payed to do this. Is Assistant Coach Steve Belichick making picks? Is MCourty? Why pay scouts? I seriously doubt if there was one Patriot scout that said "We need to Draft this kid in the third Bill!!!!

As for Rutgers, what a great recruiting tool. "Come Play for us and we can assure you the Pats will Draft you!"

I am incensed at the value crap they send out. I will give you ten players Drafted after him that could help the Pats in 2013, not 2016. Most of us are intelligent on this forum (Don't include me if you want) . Most can tell what the picks did in college and even if they had "loose hips" or take bad angles. With media and film available to Cousins like us, we have eyes. I watched this kids tape. Ed reed has not to worry about him taking his place in Canton yet. I hope I am dead wrong and Mr. Harmon goes to Canton.

We all (some and not me) bought into the Pats taking Wilson as second round pick last year. It takes three years (which is why a Draft is not a friend to Tom Brady especially on offense like these two WR) so I hope he can contribute some day. Some say he starts next to MCourty..............(crickets) ...........So far, a JAG as predicted. So much so that a guy old enough biologically to be his father was signed.

Again....I hope I am dead wrong on both kids and it is just my opinion for whatever that is worth. Someone talked BB into making those picks or did not have the cojones to want to look him in the eye and say...NO!
DW Toys

I think my IQ just dropped around 40 points after reading the first post.

Holy crap.:bricks:

The bucs and Schiano didnt draft a CB and a safety? really? you mean the team that just signed the most expensive CB in the league in addition to a safety and another CB they just signed?

You are surprised by that? really?

REALLY?

Is this real life?

Harmon looks fine in the Arkansas game tape on youtube. Unfortunately, some of his best hits come way down field after Ryan gets smoked.

Saying Schiano passed on the Rutgers players because he didn't want them is a very superficial argument. He didn't have an opportunity to draft them when they would have been drafted and weren't a need at that point either.

He might not have taken them if there was a need and opportunity at the right draft position to draft them, but the Bucs were just not looking for secondary help after they invested a first (used to trade for Revis) and second rounder and huge contracts on three secondary players.

FWIW: Schiano signed 0 players from Rutgers as UDFA. 3 players from Rutgers were signed by other teams; 2 WR and 1 CB.

No, I'm not saying they should've all been signed by their former coach, I'm just posting my followup thoughts to your post.

Harmon looks fine in the Arkansas game tape on youtube. Unfortunately, some of his best hits come way down field after Ryan gets smoked.

That's because he played almost exclusively as a single high safety for Rutgers. You are right on Ryan though, gets 'smoked' way too often.

That's how I feel, just look at who he drafted that set this dynasty up.

Look at the valued FAs and trades he brought in. He is better with that aspect. Vrabel, Welker, Harrison, Corey Dillon, Moss, A. Smith, O. Smith, Seau, Fauria, Colvin (injured but had some nice games), Even Adalius Thomas had a good year, year and a half, Ted Washington, Andre Carter, Brian Waters, Roman Pfifer, Joe Andruzzi, Anthony Pleasant, Bryan Cox, David Patten. Larry Izzo and many more. These were all valuable pieces and your "dynasty" doesn't get there without these dudes.

Draft is important. He does better here.
DW Toys

You may be on to something, but I wouldn't go as far to say that BB Jr. had a direct influence, or otherwise, led the Rutgers selections. If TFB can't influence the front office to keep Welker, I highly doubt that BB Jr. is running our draft.

That makes too much sense for this thread...

yeah...higher rated in popularity. I remember it. You admitted to being a Georgetown undergraduate after being exposed as a liar...or have you forgotten your "I have two degrees!!" boast? In any event, you DO NOT attend a top 15 university as you stated in plain English. Try to twist and turn this again tomorrow...maybe that will be the day it all becomes true...and then you can tell us all how you're engaged to marry Kate Upton.

"...yeah...two degrees...that's the ticket...."

The%20Pathological%20Liar.jpg
Right "popularity" because I said I go to a "popular" place, nice excuse to justify a complete lack of knowledge.

It is still really sad how little knowledge you have of the education system to think Georgetown is the only university fitting the bill. Even more hilarious because I didn't admit anything. If it makes you feel better to think I'm lying that is ok :rofl:

Carry on no need to ruin another thread with your rants.

Refresh my memory, how many picks did they have in the fifth round?

No, the value pick was the pick after where they had their choice of a ton of receivers everyone wanted to pick in round two, in round four.

Come on Ray. You never drink the Kool Aid.

Also, Can't agree with you more on Boyce. True post on that.
DW Toys

What pisses me off about this method of drafting is, why use this pick to draft what is basically a UFA? Why not use the pick to trade up or trade away for next year instead using it on taking a player you could have gotten anyway.
Why bother trading down for picks if your basically going to waste the pick on something you could have gotten in the dollar bin?
Your entire opinion is based on an incorrect assumption.
Players do not get drafted by 'rankers'. They get drafted by NFL teams.
BB felt he would likely be gone by 102. People you read who can not get jobs with NFL teams guessed differently. By fact, they were wrong.

OK, I'll play. Let's just say that your conspiracy theory holds some water. Look at it this way, what if BB's son actually is a "chip off the ol' block" and actually has a talent for sniffing out talent. Seriously, he has been raised in the culture much the same way BB was by his father and it could be suggested that his son has the talent as well and just has the luxury of actually being in the war room and having his opinion matter at such a young age. Now consider the fact that he went to school with these guys and has the inside scoop on their personality, character, and work ethic. Is that such a bad thing? I can sort of see where you're coming from in a fruitcake kinda way, but even if I did believe what you are suggesting(which I don't) I can't say that I am that against it when you consider who the kid is and the fact that his father has still done a "pretty" good job managing/coaching this team regardless of some of the draft busts BB has had. I still think his track record is "pretty" good at this point in time that I don't have a problem with the way the draft has gone.

Maybe, just maybe BB needs a young protege that happens to be his son to bounce ideas off of and isn't afraid to tell his father things that he needs to hear unlike a lot of young assistants that don't want to pi$$ off their boss.

Just my .02.

Good retort. Fair assessment.
DW Toys

In the past 3 drafts, BB has done well. There were some questionable picks this draft, but overall, we got 2 WR's that a big physical and fast. We got 2 DEs and we got depth at corner and safety and LB. Nobody can judge these players until they play a down in the NFL. There are UDFA they have successful careers in the NFL. The Draft is all about luck. You win some and lose some. I am taking an optimistic approach to this. McCourty played with both of the DBs that were draft which means they already have that communication and chemistry together. Which will help a lot when they are out there or if they are out there. Lets just see what happens in OTA's and training camp before we make accusations on what the picks do to help our team.

What pisses me off about this method of drafting is, why use this pick to draft what is basically a UFA? Why not use the pick to trade up or trade away for next year instead using it on taking a player you could have gotten anyway.
Why bother trading down for picks if your basically going to waste the pick on something you could have gotten in the dollar bin?

This logic suggest you actually know how teams have prospects stacked on their respective draft boards, and you obviously don't. At some point people are going to have to come to grips with the fact that team draft boards look very different than the ratings in the draft mags and sites. Those publications do pretty good when it come to the top 25 and are alright at guessing the top 100 but the truth is that it breaks down very differently for teams after the first round and we consistently see teams taking players who are rated lower than where they are drafted and other prospects who were supposed to go high drop like stones come draft day. teams draft for their schemes and needs, not on a generic consensus, and fans are basing their takes on that generic consensus and thus criticize teams for not following the information that they have, which is really vague and limited.

I'm not sure if it's Monday sarcasm, or you're serious there.... ;)

I am very serious, to consider that Steven has that much influence is preposterous and that conversation can only take place on talk radio or anonymous message boards.. ..

Yet Schiano won't touch any of them in the Draft

Schiano didn't draft anyone at their positions outside the first round or two.

Also, have you ever made a post that wasn't absolute lunacy?

this whole thread feels like something felger did on a dare.

Duron Harmon has a better chance of being a Patriots starter than Logan Ryan or Steve Beauharnais.

Your entire opinion is based on an incorrect assumption.
Players do not get drafted by 'rankers'. They get drafted by NFL teams.
BB felt he would likely be gone by 102. People you read who can not get jobs with NFL teams guessed differently. By fact, they were wrong.

In this case, I think it's reasonable to guess that the Bucs were a pretty strong candidate to take Harmon. They need depth at safety behind Goldson and Barron, and with the ludicrous contracts that they just gave to Goldson and Revis, they're probably looking to do it on the cheap. If Harmon really is a diamond in the rough, then obviously Schiano would already know that, so it sort of makes sense that Belichick may have felt the need to 'reach' to ensure that he got him. I'm still not a fan of the pick, on the face of it, but the presence of Schiano in the NFL does make it a bit more defensible IMO.

I am very serious, to consider that Steven has that much influence is preposterous and that conversation can only take place on talk radio or anonymous message boards.. ..

HA! :) :p :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back