PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How many OT on the 53?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fencer

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Some people are projecting that the only OTs who make the 53 will be Light, Vollmer, and Solder. I have great trouble seeing that, given that Solder is not only a rookie, but a rookie with no OTAs who isn't in training camp on the first day.

Even stipulating that Mankins could play OT in an emergency, it seems highly likely to me that there will 4 true OTs on the roster.

Thoughts?

I expect that we will carry four OT's with the #4 being Maneri or LeVoir or even a free agent.

In any case, we need to sign a top or mid-level veteran free agent. Obviously, Light would be ideal. if not, we are seriously in the market for an OT or two.

I have 4 1/2. Light, Vollmer, Solder, Maneri, and Cannon. Some will prefer LeVoir, but I think Maneri beats him out. Cannon strikes me as a RG candidate who could play RT in a pinch. Another guy (Kyle Hix?) might make the practice squad.

We absolutely need four. Solder will likely need work. Vollmer is proved, so is--obviously--old man Light. I think that leaves one more.

And I don't count Cannon. Even at RT his footwork against NFL speed edge rushers scares me.

LeVoir started two seasons ago when Light was injured and is a proved commodity at back-up. I'd like to think it's his position to lose.

Extremely disappointed that the Pats have yet to sign their top three draft picks.

I would guess four on the 53-man roster and three on the game-day roster.

Of course we all know how Belichick loves versatility, which means adding a player that could be plugged in at either tackle or guard is also a distinct possibility.

I would guess four on the 53-man roster and three on the game-day roster.

Of course we all know how Belichick loves versatility, which means adding a player that could be plugged in at either tackle or guard is also a distinct possibility.

I think it's the standard 7 game-day OL actives, as you suggested. Even with a supremely versatile backup, 6 wouldn't be enough in case there were two injuries the same game.

If two OTs get hurt the same game, Mankins slides out. If two interior guys get hurt the same game, I don't know which OT slides inward. Probably whoever is backup slides to guard.

Last edited:
Extremely disappointed that the Pats have yet to sign their top three draft picks.

Apparently, Tampa guaranteed the entire contract for their 1st round pick....so my guess is other agents are asking for the same.. No way smart teams will accept this, so we have our first stare down.

Apparently, Tampa guaranteed the entire contract for their 1st round pick....so my guess is other agents are asking for the same...

Didn't Atlanta also pay $75,000 more than the slot was scheduled to receive as per the team rookie pool calculation? Apparently that even exceeded the #19 amount for the player picked one slot earlier.

I am wondering if the Patriots issue is that they might have to shift the pool allocation around among the three remaining unsigned rookies. Who might get less so that the #17 pick might get more?

Also wonder if people are waiting for #16, #18 and #19 to sign first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back