PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How many of you wish we had Addai instead of Scrap Iron Maroney last weekend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ring 6

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
There has been multitudinous discussion on Maroney this year, with a vocal minority trashing him. Comments such as "He is a bust" "Made of glass" "Anyone who would rather have him than Addai is an idiot" etc.
After this weekend, Maroney IMO played very, very well. He ran hard, with authority, was used in a large role, and made a bunch of plays. I saw very few yards left on the field on his touches. Addai looked medicore vs SD.
Where do all the Maroney is a bust, Addai is headed to Canton people stand now?
My son and I have nicknamed Maroney (one of his favorite Pats) Scrap Iron, based on the way he plays. The Scrap Iron reference comes from the old Fat Albert show when there was a kid who came to the junkyard once in a while called Scrap Iron. One of the Fat Albert kids would say "Your a cool dude, Scrap Iron". Somehow that thought popped into my head, and my son and I adopted it as Maroney nickname.
In my house when Maroney breaks through the line, you hear "SCRAP IRON", when Brady throws to Moss you hear "Mooooooooooooooooooooosssssssssssssss", etc. For some reason I havent figured out yet, one of my sons favorite players is Gostkowski. I think its because last year was his first year being really, really into the Pats, and he was fascinated with the rookies, so he like gostkowski, Maroney, and Chad Jackson (although he has kinda forgotten about him).

Addai wore down by week 10 of the regular season.

Maroney is legitimate home-run threat on every play. The zone blocking/read system works very well with his style.

I think it just illustrated that Maroney is fresh right now as the Pats have "saved" him but throwing so much. Addai was a worn down rb by the end of the season and had lingering injuries. Keith wasn't a complete replacement for Rhodes.

I have been on the fence with Maroney all season, but I think that BB has been saving him for this time of year, and it has really shown. he looks fresh while Addai looked sluggish.

I have really liked Maroney from the day we drafted him, but at times I must admit, I thought Addai was better. I think if the Pats move back towards a more running based attack next season (which I don't see happening AT ALL), a better comparison could be made between the two backs.

Maroney is playing great now, because he's fresh and he is attacking more, but Addai had 226 total yds and a TD against the best team of all time (us), so he doesn't suck, either. They are both very good backs. Anyone who prefers Addai isn't crazy. Addai clearly ran out of gas at the end of the season, and Maroney is getting the benefit of having not run much early in the season.

Last edited:
Maroney is playing great now, because he's fresh and he is attacking more, but Addai had 226 total yds and a TD against the best team of all time (us), so he doesn't suck, either. They are both very good backs. Anyone who prefers Addai isn't crazy. Addai clearly ran out of gas at the end of the season, and Maroney is getting the benefit of having not run much early in the season.

As long as Maroney has more yards in the SB, I'll be happy we have him.

He has neither if they call the block in the back that they would have called against New England.

Maroney is definately improving but IMO is still not the best of the 2006 class at this point - Addai,Jones Drew and Bush are definately in the mix as well as Maroney.

It will probably take another 3 years or so till we figure who was the best in the 2006 RB class....

While I'd be very happy with Addai had he been the one remaining on the board when the Pats drafted, I am thrilled to have Maroney wearing a Pats uni. Both are good kids, but Maroney has the temperament ideally suited for his team. Playing secondary roles during his college career prepared him for fitting in with this team. Maroney understands when his role changes with the opponents' tendencies and strengths, so while one week he may be a blocker and 4th or 5th option in a game featuring the pass, the next week he could find himself being the 1st priority in a running game. Yes, there were a loud few who ripped Laurence on this board all season. That doesn't bother me, as just like the varying degrees of players' skills in the league, there are going to be varying degrees of fans' abilities to interpret players' value. And worse, there are going to be those who think that a first place team picking a rookie in the first round needs to suit up the next Barry Sanders in his first season or else!

Maroney is going to be fun to watch and a great Patriot for years. Scrap Iron, I like that!

Last edited:
i think maroney is more fresh compared to addai who is banged up for almost being solely responsible for the colt rushing game... i was one of the maroney bashers, but if i were to choose, based on their performance in the post season -- maroney... addai seemed spent and dont have any gas left in the tank...

Maroney is definately improving but IMO is still not the best of the 2006 class at this point - Addai,Jones Drew and Bush are definately in the mix as well as Maroney.

It will probably take another 3 years or so till we figure who was the best in the 2006 RB class....

It still amazes me why everyone (not picking on you in particular) has to compare players from different teams/systems and declare who is better...as if a standard measure could be used for making that determination.

Maroney hasn't fumbled, hasn't gotten Brady killed on a missed block, executes play action fakes well and makes the most of his opportunites on pass receptions. That makes him EXTREMELY valuable to the Pats and I haven't even mentioned running with the ball yet.

Maroney, Addai, MJD and Bush are all very productive in the environments in which they play. I'm not sure that any of those teams would trade what they have for any of the other backs in the list. Meaning Maroney is the best for NE, Addai is the best for Indy, MJD is the best for JAX and Bush is the best for NO.

All of their teams are happy with who they have. We should be as well.

It still amazes me why everyone (not picking on you in particular) has to compare players from different teams/systems and declare who is better...as if a standard measure could be used for making that determination.

Maroney hasn't fumbled, hasn't gotten Brady killed on a missed block, executes play action fakes well and makes the most of his opportunites on pass receptions. That makes him EXTREMELY valuable to the Pats and I haven't even mentioned running with the ball yet.

Maroney, Addai, MJD and Bush are all very productive in the environments in which they play. I'm not sure that any of those teams would trade what they have for any of the other backs in the list. Meaning Maroney is the best for NE, Addai is the best for Indy, MJD is the best for JAX and Bush is the best for NO.

All of their teams are happy with who they have. We should be as well.

I'd bet New Orleans would glady trade Bush for any of those 3 other players if money and pride weren't issues.

Maroney ranks 3 or 4th in NFL rushing. He is awesome and i'll not be suprised if he is ranked number 1 in rushing next season.

While I'd be very happy with Addai had he been the one remaining on the board when the Pats drafted, I am thrilled to have Maroney wearing a Pats uni.

We got Maroney 9 picks ahead of Addai. Some here thought (though not at the time, and not in the past few weeks,) that we got the weaker of the two talents. I don't think you ever evaluate a draft pick based on less than 3 years.

What he'd already shown at the time of the most vocal complaints, is that he could consistently get yardage. What he's shown recently is what many of us have been saying for a long time: he has a lot of upside. Seeing a thoroughbred padding around from side to side is not so exciting. Seeing what happens when he's running free is another story... I think there's a combination of better line play, Maroney "getting" NFL running, and more designed outside runs and screens involved... but I never thought it wouldn't happen.

This kid's our future at running back. The detractors were much more concerned about the past, in the form of draft day 2006 and the career of Corey Dillon.

Know what else is the future at running back? Platoons. Not good for your fantasy team, very good for fresh legs come the playoffs. Learn it, live it, love it.

PFnV

Maroney ranks 3 or 4th in NFL rushing. He is awesome and i'll not be suprised if he is ranked number 1 in rushing next season.

Yards per carry, I assume. that's been a big part of the argument all year -- even in the "dark days" his YPC were fine (though not sure if he's in the top 3 or 4.) He's nowhere near the top 3 or 4 in rushing or touchdowns.

PFnV

It was obvious that BB was saving Maroney for late in the season when the weather got bad but for some reason people felt the need to rip on him all season. I'm just glad I don't have to look at the 15 threads about how much Maroney sucks anymore. And thankfully I haven't seen that ****** NSA around lately.

I have been on the fence with Maroney all season, but I think that BB has been saving him for this time of year, and it has really shown. he looks fresh while Addai looked sluggish.

I have really liked Maroney from the day we drafted him, but at times I must admit, I thought Addai was better. I think if the Pats move back towards a more running based attack next season (which I don't see happening AT ALL), a better comparison could be made between the two backs.

I saw a stat during one of the games this past weekend that had Maroney as the #3 back in respect to yards since coming into the NFL....Addai being #1.

But I've got a good feeling about Maroney. Addai may have gotten out of the gate faster than Maroney but I think Maroney is the real deal. It would not surprise me at all if he turns out to be the best RB from that draft that produced Bush, Maroney, Addai and Jones-Drew. Bush has already taken a beating in NO and Addai was practically carried off the field a couple of times this year. Maroney causes people to miss getting him head on and Jones-Drew is built like a bowling ball....and he's in a system that encourages running into lineman and linebackers...not good for you long term.

I saw a stat during one of the games this past weekend that had Maroney as the #3 back in respect to yards since coming into the NFL....Addai being #1.

Okay, from his own draft class... that makes sense. I'm pretty sure he'll be #1 in super bowl yardage :)

Plus Maroney is a better running back. Gee, it's nice to be able to say that without the internegators jumping down my throat, calling me a homer for thinking Maroney is pretty damn good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots