PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How many of each: The Numbers Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFan37

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
For all you GM wannabes, here's a history of roster count by position. From Eric McHugh. His is one of the blogs I've added to my list this season. Like Lombardi on the national scene, McHugh on the local scene is a good read.

I won't repeat his blog entry here, but he lists the player counts for all positions, going back eight years.

Note that DBs have hovered between 8 and 11 and OL between 8 and 10. Reiss, in his blog, has the Pats keeping 10 DBs and 8 OL in a year when OL is a clear weakness.

That's where the count is useful. I would see them keeping Welbourn as a backup OG/OT over Richardson at CB, esp. if Kaczur is out for a while. Welbourn has been an NFL starter at both positions. Richardson would probably make the PS.

The main issue is the 1st game guaranteed veteran salary and Welbourn was a street FA. They may cut him for the first game, get the PS settled and then re-sign him. Then again, why take chances with a weak position?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back