How Many Guys Can Check In Eligible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFanInVa

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
The 5-TE offense comment from another post started me thinkin'. Heh.

Hell, we played with 8 DBs once against the Colts... I don't see why every offensive set has to assume 5 down linemen that have to block and block only. Take it down to 3 for one down. Just to put the fear of God in 'em. Oh yeah and get rid of the ball QUICK!

Okay okay it's just for fun. I think.

PFnV

the only problem with that is the rule is the onl the two people on the ends of the line and in the backfield are eligable the reason players check in is that they have an inelgable number and are on the end

Okay fine. That takes it down to your two "blocking" tight ends being Graham and Watson, one new kid playing H-back, Maroney and/or Dillon back there with him, 3 wides (twins Xs, let's say) and another new guy lining up in the slot (although possible our 4th wide is a better option there. Just wanted all five TEs in there for the sake of the 5-TE offense joke.) What's that get us let's see...

2 blocking TEs
1 Hback
1 slot
Crap, still just 4.

Okay fine. Two H-backs. I don't care how crowded it gets back there.

So let's see 4 guys in the backfield incl. Brady, 3 real linemen, 2 you-tell-me TEs either blocking or not... oh crap, 1 in the slot and 1 receiver, and you've just traded receivers for tight ends. I need 2 more receivers, so I guess we're looking at Koppen going it alone on the line, or moving to the CFL.

Screw it. We'll have to stick with 2 TEs and an H-back. Wah.

PFnV

hell...put Watson at RB and let him try to rip a Jax type of play again

if you really want the 5 TE offence just go with and empty "backfield" and just have them all just off the line

Last edited:
yeah and run the ball with Brady .. our fastest player :)

or we can jsut distract the other team and pt cheerleader on the line instead of lineman

We don't have one a them there quarterback receiver guys like Pittburgh keeps gettin' do we? How's about a runnin' back with a arm like that Vick fella?

Okay, then how about Dillon and Moroney in the backfield and you give everyone on the O line a Red Bull...

Oh never mind.

i wish we had a qb/wr type guy on the team imagine what BB would do with a guy like that

I think the answer is 5.

2 OTs
2 OGs
1 C
1 QB

That's 6. Then that leaves you 5 eligible receivers.

You mention 3 down lineman...but I'm almost positive every formation must contain five linemen. They don't have to be 'down'. You could have them standing with 3 yards of spacing in between them. But the receivers would have to be outside of the line and the standing OL would have to make sure they were on the LOS.

Then again, I don't see how this formation would work other than a quick kick scenario or gimmick play.

Yes, you MUST have 5 lineman.

So you technically have 6 people eligible to catch a pass, even though someone has to throw it, so the practical limit is 5.

On the line of scrimmage you need 5 lineman and two players who must line up outside the tackles. That could be a TE lined up right next to an OT or a WR lined up outside. The other 4 guys can lineup wherever they want as long as they aren't on the LOS.

Last edited:
Seriously, though, I really like the idea of Maroney and Dillon both in the backfield on short ydg plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back