PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How many games does Welker play in 2010?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cstjohn17

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score

I think the Pats can go until week 12 before they have to put him on the roster or place him on IR.

My understanding of PUP
Weeks 1- 6
- players can be palced on the PUP list, cannot practice with team
- does not take one of the 53 roster spots
Weeks 6-9
- after week 6 the team has a 3 week period to allow the player to practice with the team
- does not take one of the 53 roster spots
Weeks 10-12
-once the player begins practicing, the team has another three weeks to put the player on the active roster
- once activated player counts against the 53 man roster

From Miguel
Miguel's Frequently Asked Questions Page

Q:What is PUP??
A: My answer is based on a NFL.Com article on Curtis Martin being placed on PUP in 2006. A player who fails his club's pre-season physical at the start of training camp may be placed on the club's Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list. A player on PUP is eligible to receive his salary, but is ineligible for games and practices; he is, however, allowed to attend team meetings. According to the article, "According to NFL rules, a player on the PUP list can't be cleared to practice until after Week 6. The Jets now have three weeks to decide whether to allow Martin to start practicing. Once he's cleared to practice, the team would have three weeks from that date to either place him on the active roster or put him on injured reserve and end his season." Note that there are two different types of PUP. Players that land on reserve-PUP are ineligible to play or practice for the first six weeks of the regular season. Players on active-PUP can be taken off the list at any point during training camp. Once a player is taken off active-PUP and returns to practice, he cannot be placed on reserve-PUP later. Please note that a player on PUP will count against the cap. I think but do not know for sure that players on active-PUP count against the 80-man roster limit and players on reserve-PUP do not.

Other links
Physically Unable to Perform - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Somewhere between 16 games and ending up on IR. All due respect, but this poll is a little useless. Most of us aren't orthopedic surgeons and none of us have seen his medical records or examined his knee. I don't see this as the same thing as predicting how many TDs or yards a player might get.

Welker will come back when he comes back. It is all just guessing without much about the extent of his injury, how the surgery went, and how he is recovering thus far. Even looking at past history of players with this type of injury has him ready anywhere from the start of the regular season to somewhere in the 2011 season.

I am hopeful that he will be back as soon as the start of the season, but I also fear he will miss the entire season and my never play like he did again. He will probably end up somewhere missing the first third to half of the season, but that is still just wild speculation.

I picked 7, because it was closest to 8, which is 1/2 the season, which is where I think he'll be (that doesn't count post-season though, which I think will make the count 11 (one bye, 2 playoff wins and one SB win - hey hope springs eternal at this time of year!).

10 + 3 playoff games.

Just do the lottery.

If he plays at all this season he will not be effective.

If I were the Patriots and there was any doubt about his health at all I would sit him for the entire season.

Somewhere between 16 games and ending up on IR. All due respect, but this poll is a little useless. Most of us aren't orthopedic surgeons and none of us have seen his medical records or examined his knee. I don't see this as the same thing as predicting how many TDs or yards a player might get.

Welker will come back when he comes back. It is all just guessing without much about the extent of his injury, how the surgery went, and how he is recovering thus far. Even looking at past history of players with this type of injury has him ready anywhere from the start of the regular season to somewhere in the 2011 season.

I am hopeful that he will be back as soon as the start of the season, but I also fear he will miss the entire season and my never play like he did again. He will probably end up somewhere missing the first third to half of the season, but that is still just wild speculation.

I guess welcome to Internet Bulletin boards, if we are assumed to be 'experts' on all things football then creating a WAG on a players health is just as relevant as number of wins, TDs, etc.

Understanding or estimating when Welker will be available ties directly into predictions on the roster and draft.

zero.....

but Brandon Marshall will play 19 (for the Pats)

Get well soon Wes!

Last edited:

Useless as to when he actually comes back but useful to gathering the consensus on how the board feels aboat when he returns.

I think it will be interesting to see if the board is pessimistic on this or optimistic. From comments I read I know what I think will be the outcome but lets see.

Starts the season on PUP, returns Week 7 and plays 10 regular season games + playoffs.

He might be fit in time for Week 1 in which case it'd be 16 games. I remember someone saying his rehab is going pretty well, so I'm pretty optimistic.

If he plays at all this season he will not be effective.

If I were the Patriots and there was any doubt about his health at all I would sit him for the entire season.

I, sadly, agree.

Starts the season on PUP, returns Week 7 and plays 10 regular season games + playoffs.

He might be fit in time for Week 1 in which case it'd be 16 games. I remember someone saying his rehab is going pretty well, so I'm pretty optimistic.

This, obviously is the absolute best case scenario for starting the season on PUP. The Globe, right or wrong, is predicting that anything pre-thanksgiving would be a miracle. I couldn't imagine Belichick doing anything at all to rush back our best offensive weapon (besides Brady), my best case scenario is that he comes back for the stretch run at the end of November. If there's the slightest amount of doubt, I really think they'll be extremely conservative in their approach.

Here's hoping your prediction is closer;)

i was gonna say 6 but 7 sounds good

I voted for "7" as it's the most likely but all 16 is absolutely possible especially as Welker appears to be solidly on schedule. At this time I see no reason it won't be 16 but "7" is a solid, cautiosly pessimistic number.

Well, at least we know only 10% of the posters in this thread are totally insane homers -- (16 games -lol).

I'd say 4. I hope he comes back from this.

Last edited:
Well, at least we know only 10% of the posters in this thread are totally insane homers -- (16 games -lol).

I'd say 4. I hope he comes back from this.

And you are a total pessimist....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots