Welcome to PatsFans.com

How many draft picks make the roster?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Zeus, Aug 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeus

Zeus PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +614 / 2 / -0

It's still early in the process, but the Patriots may well find themselves in the position of having an unusal number of rookies for a Super Bowl contender. I could see as many as 8 picks making the team with others on IR or the practice squad. Combined with the 2008 draftees, does this make the 2009 New England Patriots simultaneously a contender and a team in transition? Not sure I've ever seen that before ...

The four #2's are locks.

The fact that Tyrone McKenzie is on IR and that Brandon Tate will likely be on PUP/IR may well be a blessing is disguise.

I don't know much about Orhrenberger and Bussey yet, but they traded Hobbs specifically to get Ohrenberger, so I don't see him getting cut.

Jake Ingram doesn't really count. Either he or Hodel will be the long snapper; no way that both make the team. Ingram might be a practice squad candidate.

Given the numbers, the best that Darryl Richard can hope for is practice squad.

Edelman and Pryor are the ones that make this interesting. Both started Thursday night, so we're not trying to sneak either of these guys onto the practice squad. I confess to being more excited than I probably should be about Edelman's 5 catches for 37 yards, but he's smart and versatile enough to make a run at the roster.

As for Pryor, an inside pass rusher is a rare and dangerous commodity. We should bear in mind that the Eagles' OL was in disarray due to injuries (missing 3 starters), but Pryor was beating guys head on. Why was this guy still around in the 6th round?

To have 6th and 7th round picks seriously contending for roster spots when you have signed 9 significant veteran free agents and drafted 12 players is unexpected to say the least.

2. BritPat

BritPat In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +375 / 4 / -4

#54 Jersey

But very very promising for the future.

3. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4,001 / 11 / -8

I would agree with you. I had Edelman and Pryor targeted for the PS prior to camp, but I don't think there's any chance they would make it to the PS if they got cut. I also don't see Ohrenberger getting cut. I see him and Hochstein as our backup interior lineman, with Seabass and Levoir as our backup tackles. That means at least 7 draft picks on the roster, with Ingram fighting for the LS spot. Amazing offseason and draft. I don't think I've ever seen this team reload so completely.

4. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,591 / 19 / -18

#75 Jersey

I'm flipping a coin with Ohrenberger and Bussey, don't see how anyone knows that much. I'll say one makes it.

Including the two possible PUP/Ir's I've got nine with Richard and the losing Olineman the odd men out.

Pretty outstanding rebuilding draft with no #1(trade down).

Looks like Nick Caserio was itching to make his bones with this one.

5. everlong

everlong Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +284 / 3 / -1

#12 Jersey

Maybe BB will flip a player to one of his proteges for a conditional pick going forward. I think they did this with both Miami and Pitt before but cannot remember the players in question although one of the players was a running back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.