PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How low will they go to trade A. Thomas??

Status
Not open for further replies.
1.) The defense wasn't nearly as bad as you make it out to be.

2.) There is absolutely no reason for the Patriots to cut him at this juncture, or at all, really.

No reason to cut him at all? Are you joking, man? A malcontented, marginally effective player for a 4.5M salary? Good as gone!

With regard to BB not using AD properly, a case can be made....

According to Profootballfocus.com....

AD played 601 snaps last year and rushed the passer 124 times. He had a total of 3 sacks, 3 Qb hits and 5 pressures which ave. out to a "impact" plays on the QB every 11 snaps.

By comparison, Dumervile played 880 snaps, rushed the passer 419 times and averaged an "impact" play every 7.6 snaps.

In theory, if AD rushed the passer the same amount as ED, AD would have 295 more pass-rush opportunities and as a result 26.3 more "impact" plays. Assuming that 27% of ADs "impact" plays are sacks, with the same number of pass rushes ad ED, AD would be on a pace to record 10 sacks, 10 QB hits and 15 or so pressures.

This is all Bill James nerd-hypothesis but at least mathematically you can make the case that BB did not use AD properly. If he played him more, he would have gotten more production. However the guy is in his early 30s. Not sure if BB felt he had the stamina to hold up. Also, how many of those additional opportunities would have been taken away from TBC who had a very good year?

BB has always said that the best time for trades is either the draft or right before the season during final cut-downs. If BB and AD can't get on the same page, I suspect that he'll be gone before the draft either via trade or released outright.

It's an interesting analysis, but I think the drop in "impact play" percentage to Dumerville suggests that sometimes he was blitzing in the wrong situations. I'm sure there were times when it would have been better for Thomas to rush, but chances are a lot of those extra 295 times would have been poor plays to blitz that particular player on.

Also, how many of those additional opportunities would have been taken away from TBC who had a very good year?

Actually AD was replaced by Burgess not TBC. TBC was in all there most downs.

Actually AD was replaced by Burgess not TBC. TBC was in all there most downs.

Mostly. From Week 1 to Week 13 TBC he saw about 60% of the snaps. After that he was playing about 95% of the snaps. I thought he played very well this year.

In looking at Thomas' breakout, he spent most of his time setting the edge.

TBC rushed the passer 355 times had 10 sacks, 10 QB hits and 23 pressures

Burgess rushed the passer 366 times and had 6 sacks, 6 Qb hits and 23 pressures.

All things being equal, both TBC and Burgess were statistically more productive rushing the passer IF AD had as many opportunities as they did.

Why would ANYBODY trade for a bust of a player, with no production, who is a malcontent, and has a huge contract? The Pats will more likely than not cut him anyway.

I think there is a good chance similar to last year that BB packages a multi-player trade for picks.. so I can see something like. I think he will use levearge McDaniels vs. Pioli. Thats great value for KC..

AD
Light traded to KC #34

I could also see KC offering there round 1= #5 and there other round 2 pick #50 for Big Vince

That would give us..

Adalius will probably not be traded immediately but don't expect him at the start of Training camp either.

Adalius still has some value and the Pats would have to be ******ed to just cut and let him go

Last edited:
I think there is a good chance similar to last year that BB packages a multi-player trade for picks.. so I can see something like. I think he will use levearge McDaniels vs. Pioli. Thats great value for KC..

AD
Light traded to KC #34

I could also see KC offering there round 1= #5 and there other round 2 pick #50 for Big Vince

That would give us..

I'm tempted to agree. KC still needs to draft and develop their own talent. However, they are a mid-small market team who may be watching their pennies a little bit more because of the CBA and the fact that they spent a ton last year on Cassell and their draft picks... However, KC was 30th in run defense. They may look at VW and pull the trigger on a deal..

Last edited:
Adalius will probably not be traded immediately but don't expect him at the start of Training camp either.

Adalius still has some value and the Pats would have to be ******ed to just cut and let him go

AD certainly has value. The Pats will not simply cut him. They may need to settle for a mediocre draft pick though.

How does he have value: He's pretty bad, has a huge contract, has an attitude. He has no value...

AD
Light traded to KC #34

That would give us..

Unless the Pats would immediately deal the #5 away for more draft picks then no way do the Pats do a deal to get in the top 10,they won't pay rookies ridiculous salaries which is what a #5 would entail...rookie wage scales will change next season but norlam wage scales are still in effect this year - the Pats have only dealt up into the top 15 selections twice in the past 9 years.

Last edited:
How does he have value: He's pretty bad, has a huge contract, has an attitude. He has no value...

This year, in 124 rushes of the passer, he had 3 sacks. If a team out there makes the decision to rush him 400 times, he COULD produce 10 sacks. Plus he is decent vs the run.

In the right defense, he has value. Just wasn't here. I guarantee someone will give up a 4th rounder for him.

This year, in 124 rushes of the passer, he had 3 sacks. If a team out there makes the decision to rush him 400 times, he COULD produce 10 sacks. Plus he is decent vs the run.

In the right defense, he has value. Just wasn't here. I guarantee someone will give up a 4th rounder for him.

Would you rather have a 4th round OLB in his early twenties or a 33 year old OLB with a big contract and an attitude problem?

The fact that he would probably make the Jets defense a good deal more potent should increase his value to teams that will face the Jets.

Would you rather have a 4th round OLB in his early twenties or a 33 year old OLB with a big contract and an attitude problem?

Need to look at the situation and the team that the Pats would be trading with. If it's a young team the Pats call, they may not want Thomas. If it's a veteran team that has a good nucleus and thinks that they are close to going deep in the playoffs (see Dallas, AZ, etc.) they may do the deal.

At a minimum they will want him to renegotiate his deal. Second, the trading team would make the pick conditional based on the number of snaps he plays.

At the end of the day, if priced right Thomas can be moved quite easily.

That way, both teams get what they want.

Last edited:
Unless the Pats would immediately deal the #5 away for more draft picks then no way do the Pats do a deal to get in the top 10,they won't pay rookies ridiculous salaries which is what a #5 would entail...rookie wage scales will change next season but norlam wage scales are still in effect this year - the Pats have only dealt up into the top 15 selections twice in the past 9 years.

It depends.. I can see them sliding back to 8 or 9 and take McClain but Eric Berry or Joe Hayden would be tempting imo..

I just can't see anyone trading for him. The reason being that whoever gets his rights has to pay him the salary he's currently under contract for. He's 33 and underperformed and now has some "character" questions. No one's going to give up draft picks and a high salary for that.

I see him getting cut and I do see him going to the Jets. It's a natural fit for obvious reasons. The real question is how much of a difference is he really going to make there? They have the #1 D in the league but don't have any good pass rushers, it's all schematic. AD's sun is setting and I don't see him returning to his Baltimore form.

I just can't see anyone trading for him. The reason being that whoever gets his rights has to pay him the salary he's currently under contract for. He's 33 and underperformed and now has some "character" questions. No one's going to give up draft picks and a high salary for that.

I see him getting cut and I do see him going to the Jets. It's a natural fit for obvious reasons. The real question is how much of a difference is he really going to make there? They have the #1 D in the league but don't have any good pass rushers, it's all schematic. AD's sun is setting and I don't see him returning to his Baltimore form.

AJY Meet Al Davis...Al,this is AJY

Need to look at the situation and the team that the Pats would be trading with. If it's a young team the Pats call, they may not want Thomas. If it's a veteran team that has a good nucleus and thinks that they are close to going deep in the playoffs (see Dallas, AZ, etc.) they may do the deal.

At a minimum they will want him to renegotiate his deal. Second, the trading team would make the pick conditional based on the number of snaps he plays.

At the end of the day, if priced right Thomas can be moved quite easily.

That way, both teams get what they want.

You do have a point with the Cardinals. They are desperate and could offer something. Their passrush is worse than ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back