PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How long till Jackson is our #2 or #1 WR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyManny

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Nothing against Troy Brown or Reche Caldwell - Troy is Troy so you have to love him, and Reche despite only 4 catches still looks like he might be able to provide some of what Givens gave us - but how many weeks do you think before Chad Jackson starts as one of our top 2 WR options?

I don't know how many plays Jackson was in on yesterday, I'm guessing less than a dozen, but on 3 plays, he beat his man, and that's something our other wideouts are seemingly struggling to do thus far.

I know there's a lot to learn in this offense, but I don't think it'll be long before Jackson replaces either Brown or Caldwell as starter.

Hopefully very soon! Troy Brown and Reche Caldwell are not starters. Brown is a great slot reciever that runs excellent routes. Caldwell is just worthless right now. I'm sure by midseason, Jackson will establish himself as the #1 option (yes, over Ben Watson).

I hope it's REALLY soon, but I expect it's sometime in 2007. I think the guy will progress, but he's got a long way to go. If he and Gabriel can become Givens/Patten-ish by week 10, we will be very happy.

I agree except I don't see Caldwell as worthless. I think he can provide some of the things Givens did - in 03, Givens had 34 catches for 510 yards, and 24 of those catches were for first downs, in 04. I can see Caldwell having similar numbers, and I'd be very pleased with his production. He's not a #1 or #2.

But Chad Jackson is so damn exciting - I hope we see much more of him this week. His first catch was ridicolous, he just ripped it from the dude. Plus, it seems like he's saying all the right things. Even his quiet fist pump had Patriots written all over it.

patsox23 said:
I hope it's REALLY soon, but I expect it's sometime in 2007. I think the guy will progress, but he's got a long way to go. If he and Gabriel can become Givens/Patten-ish by week 10, we will be very happy.

You say not until 07 - is that by the Pats design or b/c C Jackson is a rookie and won't be able to function as the #1/2 option?

We've heard Brady talk about how Deion understood the offense from day one - maybe Jackson can too.

Last edited:
The sooner the better. The Pats receiving corps is like the Sox' notorious "bullpen by committee" without a dominant closer; without a hierarchy the players are unsure of their roles, and their performance is even more inconsistent as a result. Jackson should be the #1 by Week 5 if he stays healthy. Why? Because he will be open all the time. He's that fast and quick. He easily shed Andre Dyson a top tier QB on the TD. I can't remember a Patriot WR being that open on a TD pass of more than 10 yards, but my memory is famously fuzzy. Also, the passing game would benefit greatly by replacing Graham with D. Thomas. Thomas has a knack for finding and sitting in soft spots under coverage, and providing the QB with a security blanket. He perfected this at UT with VY. For some reason the other TEs either aren't being asked to, or are uncomfortable with that task. IMO Jackson and Thomas are the answers to the Pats inconsistent passing attack. The problem: seniority. There may be some issues with veterans being supplanted by youngsters. But, in the end, talent rises to the top and its ascension is undeniable.

Last edited:
Is it me, or is Chad Jackson Freaking HUGE???

I'm just not used to seeing receivers that big in Patriot uniforms. The dude has pythons for arms and just looks really freaking big!

Gabriel looked like a mammoth as well.

Caldwell is getting better. By midseason I think he could be a legit number 2.

IN the brief couple plays I saw Jackson yesterday, he could be something special.

I think as long as there are no injuries, he will be a starter come week 6.

I agree that both Jackson and Gabriel look huge out there, if for no other reason than we're used to seeing small Patriot receivers. Jackson looks like he'll be a major contributor and an eventual go-to guy out there. I have high hopes for Gabriel; I just think he's feeling his way around out there and will get it. He got downfield pretty good on the long pass from Brady as did Jackson. Both of them should be able to stretch the field vertically which is so important in and of itself, but it also helps to open up the running game and short pass game as well. I can't wait to see them play this week, especially now that they have a game under their belts.

My thinking is that Jackson will really start to show consistency and turn it on for game breaking plays coming out of the bye week. He definitely needs a few games to get his timing down with Brady. If all goes well, expect big[ger] things coming out of the bye.

Of course, this is all predicated on the notion that Jackson really is the best WR to come out of the draft. He certainly is a physical specimen; looks strong and if 40 times are indicative of anything, he's one of the fastest people in the NFL.

As for Gabriel, I think he'll be a step behind Caldwell for that number 2 spot. Our new 87 has looked competent, in the first two weeks, despite having a limited amount of balls thrown in his direction.

Sooner the better...I expect Gabriel to show results sooner than Jackson because Doug is a vet.

BradyManny2344 said:
how many weeks do you think before Chad Jackson starts as one of our top 2 WR options?
Chad *is* the #1 -- he was drafted to be the #1. It's only a matter of Chad and Tom getting to know each other before that is obvious to all.

I think Branch and Givens -- like Antoine Smith -- were servicable players that BB intended to replace at the right time. I think the Pats would have been happy to keep either/both as long as guaranteed money did not threaten the cap. I don't think either would have been locked in for big bucks. In the end, though, I think both were 2/3 receivers and BB would have been happy to keep them at that scale.

The real question is who is #2? I think Gabriel has a shot at this. I think Reche does too.

By the bye, Chad will be Brady's #1 target. If you don't believe me, ask NEM.

BradyManny2344 said:
I agree except I don't see Caldwell as worthless. I think he can provide some of the things Givens did - in 03, Givens had 34 catches for 510 yards, and 24 of those catches were for first downs, in 04. I can see Caldwell having similar numbers, and I'd be very pleased with his production. He's not a #1 or #2.

But Chad Jackson is so damn exciting - I hope we see much more of him this week. His first catch was ridicolous, he just ripped it from the dude. Plus, it seems like he's saying all the right things. Even his quiet fist pump had Patriots written all over it.
does it really matter if he's 1, 2, 3, 4 or whatever as long as he makes plays and catches balls?

Chad Jackson is a combination of Branch and Givens except better and bigger. That's right. I said it. I got a real good feeling about this player.
Chad will be our #1 wideout at least by mid-season if not sooner.
We will all be saying "Deion who" and "David what" very soon.

He is a rookie and also 2 catches / 1 drop can predict anything.

doug is given a great chance and also if he steps upa good contract when his time comes for FA

Now you guys know why I was so excited when we drafted this guy. CJ definitely flashed his big play ability last week. I think now it's all a matter of him getting comfortable with this offense and developing the timing and trust with Brady.

Brady said it, there's definitely talent out there, but they just haven't had the time to work together. Gabriel joined late in that trade with the Raiders and Jackson missed valuable training camp time because of that hammy.

Give this group of wideouts some time and I think they can be a solid unit. Guys like Jackson, Gabriel, Caldwell need to step it up. And it looks like they have the ability to do so.

Either way things look very promising for #17. Can we say TIGHT?? :)

MrBigglesWorth said:
does it really matter if he's 1, 2, 3, 4 or whatever as long as he makes plays and catches balls?

It matters how many plays he's in for. When they have a 2 WR set, I want Jackson in, IMO.

Let's see. Today is Monday.
Six days ... i'd say.

Caldwell has done okay ... and Gabriel will do okay.
But Chad Jackson isn't just coming.
He is here.

VJCPatriot said:
Now you guys know why I was so excited when we drafted this guy. CJ definitely flashed his big play ability last week. I think now it's all a matter of him getting comfortable with this offense and developing the timing and trust with Brady.

Brady said it, there's definitely talent out there, but they just haven't had the time to work together. Gabriel joined late in that trade with the Raiders and Jackson missed valuable training camp time because of that hammy.

Give this group of wideouts some time and I think they can be a solid unit. Guys like Jackson, Gabriel, Caldwell need to step it up. And it looks like they have the ability to do so.

Either way things look very promising for #17. Can we say TIGHT?? :)

I hear ya, bro. Tight is definitely the word.

I say a double TIGHT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey