PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How long can Patriots Organization keep this up

Status
Not open for further replies.
No I'm going to stick to my guns and say I was talking about baseball in general.....I did not say RED SOX for a reason. They are not the only team with a minor league system...maybe you should backpedal...but I sure won't. You use college football as an example of the "minor league" of the NFL?? ROFLMAO.....for one thing MLB pays their minor league....but I digress...this is not why I started this thread...I was just wondering how long I would have to wait to get season tickets AGAIN to the Pats.:) :) :)

Oh look, a hardcore baseball fan who kinda enjoys the home town football team weilding a pocket knife in a gunfight....

Contrary to what you obviously hope to imply, they can keep it up longer and more consistently than your first love, that's for sure. The Sox success is tied to access to John Henry's pocketbook, pure and simple. When he sells, and he will, that will end. Theo is a bright guy, but he has yet to do anything without more money at his disposal than all but one other GM. He didn't take a cinderella team to the top, he actually inherited a pretty talented group and mismanaged them to crushing underachievement the first time out. And then after replacing an incompetent manager he went on an anxiety induced spending spree and esentially bought the Sox both of their championships.

Bob Kraft and Bill Belichick set out to build an organization and team that would remake a baseball town into a football town. They are almost there... I sense the baseball first forever demographic is getting just a little nervous. Wouldn't surprise me if the Johan Santana talks suddlenly pick up steam again late next week...

Maybe you should do some looking before you bash. I am a NEW ENGLAND SPORTS fan. I wrote that in my introduction to this forum. My name is thesoxwin EVERYWHERE I post...everywhere...pokersites,masslive, my own site, ect..ect. I was also a season ticket holder from 79-84 at ther "old' Stadium. I did not interject RED SOX in my original post, but compared baseballs minor league to footballs non-existant minor league.
So....don't question my fandome...

Not questioning your Red Sox fandome. You seem like the type of person that will call WEEI on Patriots Monday and start talking baseball. Odway will thank you for doing that.

I'm sure that you are a Patriots fan when the Red Sox aren't playing. I can only go by what I see and read.

Oh look, a hardcore baseball fan who kinda enjoys the home town football team weilding a pocket knife in a gunfight....
And Im sure you didn't root for the Sox this year......you're a one sport man...or maybe a ,godforbid, Yankee and Patriot fan....this is getting rediculous....I asked the question, because ...are you ready...I actually am a Patriots fan first....go figure...I enjoy Playing NL Holdem, too...guess Im just a bandwaggoner. You guys need to loosen up a little. Oh by the way, I occasionally watch the Bruins and the Celtics....and if they happen to make it to the Playoffs...I'll actually root for them.There I said it...there is more to life than the Patriots.

Back on track, how long can the PATRIOTS keep this up.

Contrary to what you obviously hope to imply, they can keep it up longer and more consistently than your first love, that's for sure. The Sox success is tied to access to John Henry's pocketbook, pure and simple. When he sells, and he will, that will end. Theo is a bright guy, but he has yet to do anything without more money at his disposal than all but one other GM. He didn't take a cinderella team to the top, he actually inherited a pretty talented group and mismanaged them to crushing underachievement the first time out. And then after replacing an incompetent manager he went on an anxiety induced spending spree and esentially bought the Sox both of their championships.

Bob Kraft and Bill Belichick set out to build an organization and team that would remake a baseball town into a football town. They are almost there... I sense the baseball first forever demographic is getting just a little nervous. Wouldn't surprise me if the Johan Santana talks suddlenly pick up steam again late next week...

Agree mostly with your points: Sox go as far as their $$ spending goes well but their new / revamped minor did help win it this year (see Ellsbury / Lester). Coach B & Kraft huave already built an organization / team that is the tops in the NFL: marketing / Patriots place / top talent (free agent spending).. no doubt. But beantown (being born & raised there my whole life) always had a hardcore following for baseball due to the history ..& I was the biggest hockey fan too! But the broons always took a backseat to popularity when the time was right during baseball season (Yanks in town in May even though the Broons in the playoffs would still get top bill /sell outs)......A long history over time might help the PATS (winning / sellouts / etc..) but I'm still not sure if it will happen since the Sox now seem to be a powerhouse as a top $ team for the foreseeable future too.

Back on track, how long can the PATRIOTS keep this up.

Who knows? Anyone who claims they do, is talking out their ear. Where does one see the Dow Jones Industrial Average in 2012?

I'm mostly concerned with how the Pats do on February 3rd.

Haven't the Steelers been doing it for a little over 30 years now?

They were a joke in the late 60s, however.
They were terrible all the way back to when they were founded, 1933. Interesting that they had the same owner at the start, Art Rooney, that was there for the dynasty in the 70s. Was it Chuck Noll and Terry Bradshaw that turned the tide? Musta been, although Noll didn't impress me when I heard him speak, like Lombardi, Walsh and Belichick, for example.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/

Who knows? Anyone who claims they do, is talking out their ear. Where does one see the Dow Jones Industrial Average in 2012?

I'm mostly concerned with how the Pats do on February 3rd.

Well, the question is how long "can" the Pats keep this up, not how long "will" they. Semantics, I know, but it's an important distinction. No one can foresee the future, obviously, but I stand by what I posted earlier in this thread, that I'm reasonably confident the Pats will continue to be an annual playoff contender at least as long as Brady's productive.

Let's put it this way - if they're picking in the top 15 (trades not withstanding, obviously) during the era of Brady health and productivity and BB coaching, I would be shocked.

The point is , is that sooner ot later it will end. It happens to all good teams, they all "hit bottom" sooner or later. The Patriots do draft well and Pioli and Belichek seem to have the rare ability to make the right moves all the time.

I agree, then that as long as Brady stays they are not only good, but a great team, because he will command the respect out of all that play around him. I also agree that signing BB to a long term contract is a must. I mean he makes all other coaches look......mediocre at best. Dungy signed for one more year and there is no other Head coach that can come close to BB.

Whatever happens, I know I am hoping to see an ending to Tom's career that differs greatly from that of Joe Montana (and even Drew Bledsoe, you could argue.) I hope Tom retires as a physically healthy QB who didn't lose his job to a backup.

Good for SF to have had Steve Young and another superbowl waiting in the wings, but I don't envy what it must've been like for them to see Montana playing in KC.

I can forget the steroid comment...there is steroids in every sport. Baseball is at least "trying" to deal with it. But the USA doesnt watch baseball on tv anymore......c'mon even you don't believe that.

I believe it, baseball sucks. The whole world will watch the Souper Bowl but only fans of the respective teams for the most part will watch the World dilireous. Maybe its those darn late night starting times.

I believe it, baseball sucks. The whole world will watch the Souper Bowl but only fans of the respective teams for the most part will watch the World dilireous. Maybe its those darn late night starting times.

Well, baseball doesn't suck, and I personally watch every game of the World Series whether the Red Sox are in it or not, but that's just me. That's not really the point of the thread though, is it?

Well, baseball doesn't suck, and I personally watch every game of the World Series whether the Red Sox are in it or not, but that's just me. That's not really the point of the thread though, is it?

It is now and yes baseball does suck.

It's hard to say about the Pats, because what they've done hasn't been done yet, and we have no idea how that will influence the teams thinking in the future. I'd love to think that we have a group now that is not satisfied with 19-0, and that they are looking at ways to get better after the SB is (hopefully) won. Unfortunately, there are some leaders on the team that are long in the tooth, and may not see a need to stick around for a less than stellar season. However, I think the team is more than capable of filling those holes within a few years, and getting a 5th ring maybe in a year or two after this one. Deep in my heart, I hope that we are in the midst of an Aurbachian run, but I'd have to see what we can keep from this team going into next year to know what the long term future holds.

Well, I'll be very surprised if next season's team is as good as this season's -- but then I'm very surprised that this season's team is as good as it is.

One way of answering the original question is to ask who the keys are in the organization. The answers are: Robert Kraft, Belichick, Pioli and Brady -- no question. But which ones can be replaced? Would Jonathan continue with the grace, values, enthusiasm and good sense that his father has shown? How long can Belichick go on at this level? Will Pioli stay indefinitely? And can the team find a quarterback to follow Tommy?

Those are all difficult questions, but my guess is that so long as BB is here the team will have success; I have no idea whether he will be able to pass on the baton to another coach who will be anything like as successful, however. If he were to do that, it would be the ultimate football achievement.

Everyone's guys are getting older, but that has no bearing on how long a dominance lasts. Just how many Patriots were in SB XXXVI that will also be in XLII?

I'm guessing less than a ten. Probably closer to 5.

Brady
Light
Brown
Bruschi
Seymour

anyone else?

Faulk, Izzo, Neal, Paxton, Vrabel.....
Among the starters, only Brady, Light, Bruschi, Vrabel and Seymour (5/22)
http://archive.profootballweekly.com/content/archives2001/handicappers_2001/game_preview_sb1.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back