PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How long before Brady is back to his best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Week 7. Brady will have had sufficient tim efor his shoulder to heal and he'll be planting his foot when making his throws.

Another question, if he really does still have lingering shoulder pain/trouble, why in hell are they having him throw the ball 50+ times a game. Surely, that doesn't help your arm heal...

Last edited:
I think it will appear to be very soon, as soon as this week.
Its really not a matter of the injury its a matter of not playing football for a year, IMO.
I think he is back almost all the way, but is still adjusting to the speed of the game. Timing and accuracy are the issues that show up when a QB isn't caught up to the speed of the game, indecision is another. (I think the 'uncomfortable' everyone sees is a bit of indecisiveness)
So, under certain circumstances he isn't caught up yet, but under good circumstances he already is the 'old Brady'.
Someone recently (Gruden? Young? Dilfer?) commented on missing time and the speed of the game. They said Shanahan used to say that if you mis a week it takes you til the 2nd half to be comfortable with the speed of the game on game day.
IMO, that is all this is about. After all, he is Tom Brady. He will be fine.

Brady says he's still working to get his mechanics back to where he wants them. Of course, this is typically obscure and something I could imagine a completely healthy Brady saying, so take it for what it's worth.

"I think that's something I'm always working on, focusing on, trying to improve on. There's some positive things I took out of last game in terms of my mechanics and driving the ball. Still, I don't think it was where I'm 100 percent comfortable with where the mechanics are at, but, that's why I'm still working at it."

BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet Blog Archive Tom Brady admits he’s not “100 percent comfortable” with his throwing mechanics, and more

Probably never, stick a fork in him dudes done.

Week 7. Brady will have had sufficient tim efor his shoulder to heal and he'll be planting his foot when making his throws.
Honestly, it may be too late by then.

I would guess sometime around the bye week. That would set up a nice second half coupled with Mayo's probable return around then. If we can manage a 4-3 record going into the bye with no more major injuries I think we're in decent shape for a run.

Honestly, it may be too late by then.
That's just the week I think he'll be back to form. IMHO, I think he's good enough right now for the team to go 5-2 or 4-3 during the first 7 weeks of the season.

I noticed Tom falls to the turf like a bag of tomatoes, with his legs slightly bent.

Its like a coarse on how to fall.

When he gets over that ,he will be fine!

I noticed Tom falls to the turf like a bag of Potatoes, with his legs slightly bent.

Its like a coarse on how to fall.

When he gets over that ,he will be fine!

They should have kept Cassel. Brady is 32 and had a major knee injury. He has really looked like crap in these first 2 games. This is the beginning of the end.

I think it will appear to be very soon, as soon as this week.
Its really not a matter of the injury its a matter of not playing football for a year, IMO.
I think he is back almost all the way, but is still adjusting to the speed of the game. Timing and accuracy are the issues that show up when a QB isn't caught up to the speed of the game, indecision is another. (I think the 'uncomfortable' everyone sees is a bit of indecisiveness)
So, under certain circumstances he isn't caught up yet, but under good circumstances he already is the 'old Brady'.
Someone recently (Gruden? Young? Dilfer?) commented on missing time and the speed of the game. They said Shanahan used to say that if you mis a week it takes you til the 2nd half to be comfortable with the speed of the game on game day.
IMO, that is all this is about. After all, he is Tom Brady. He will be fine.

It is ABSOLUTELY a matter of the injury. If his mechanics were the same as they used to be and he just missed throws wide then yes, I would say that it's rust. But his mechanics are off, starting with his feet. When his mind games stop, his mechanics get better. When his mechanics get better, his throws get better.

So, to answer this thread, I would say that we start to see the old Tom Brady when we can get a solid running game going to takes about 20 handoffs and up to 100 yards per game. A balanced offense will do wonders for Brady's progression after the surgery. Until the offense is balanced, defenses will continue to key in on him and rush the ever loving hell out of him because they know that's the most reliable way to beat the Pats at this point.

If you want a timetable, I'd say that we start making some adjustments on offense this week. With that in mind, I believe that we'll start seeing an improved Tom Brady in the Falcons game this Sunday. I hope the defense can make the necessary adjustments to slow down Ryan as well as what they did in the Jets game simply will not work against the Falcons.

I'd like to see him have a 22-30, 250 yards kind of game rather than see him throw the ball 50 times. No reason that can't happen with the way Taylor's been running.

it's not his plant leg so id say mid season. i work as a physical therapist but we don't see ripped up knees that often. he may always wear some type of brace which is a constant reminder of the injury.

So, to answer this thread, I would say that we start to see the old Tom Brady when we can get a solid running game going to takes about 20 handoffs and up to 100 yards per game.

The running game isn't the problem. The constant blitzing is the problem, and the reason for that is that Brady can't make teams pay for blitzing right now.

Typically the blitz is high risk/high reward. You increase the chance of a sack or turnover, while also increasing the chance of a big play. Brady is so inaccurate right now that there's no risk, and its just high reward.

The offense is going to stay like this until he burns someone bad on a blitz, and does it more than once.

The running game isn't the problem. The constant blitzing is the problem, and the reason for that is that Brady can't make teams pay for blitzing right now.

Typically the blitz is high risk/high reward. You increase the chance of a sack or turnover, while also increasing the chance of a big play. Brady is so inaccurate right now that there's no risk, and its just high reward.

The offense is going to stay like this until he burns someone bad on a blitz, and does it more than once.

If no one is open, who is he going to throw it to? The Jets can blitz 6 guys against our 5 OL + an RB in the backfield and create instant pressure, but that still leaves 5 men in coverage - 4 DBs on 4 wides plus 1 safety over the top, which was oft the case on Sunday.

It's not like someone is going uncovered. The Jets always had a DB on a man, and they were jamming at the line. If the DBs are good enough to cover the WRs, then you're gameplan is F'd. And on Sunday, they were.

Last edited:
If no one is open, who is he going to throw it to? ....

It's not like someone is going uncovered. The Jets always had a DB on a man, and they were jamming at the line. I

Thats not what I saw. I saw a lot of passes 2 feet in front of open receivers and off receivers fingers. They had 2 guys on Moss all day (Revis and the safety on that side), which meant someone else was under real light coverage. There were guys open ALL DAY. Brady just isn't playing well. He's going through his progressions slowly, and his footwork is terrible.

Again, all things that could have been expected.

There are many ways to make teams pay for contant pass blitzes
screens
dump offs
short and intermediate passes with high YAC
draws
RUN THE BALL

I agree that "Brady can't make teams pay for blitzing right now".

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes