Welcome to PatsFans.com

How Is The Worthy of an Entire Book?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +364 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

In 'Not Afraid of Life,' Bristol Palin will discuss her future, living life in the media spotlight thanks to her mother's political rise and, of course, her time on 'Dancing With the Stars.'

Bristol talks about the highs and lows of her appearance on ABC-TV's 'Dancing With the Stars,' including the aching hours of practice, the biting criticisms, and the thrill of getting to the show's finals. She speaks candidly of her aspirations for the future and the deep religious faith that gives her strength and inspiration. Plainspoken and disarmingly down to earth, Bristol offers new insight and understanding of who she is and what she values most."

She's like what? 20? How much "insight" and "understanding," does a kid under 21 have?

Why would her aspirations matter any more than any other 20 year old to anyone but herself and her immediate family? Will they be any different than anyone else's?

I don't mind the occasional newspaper story or People article - but an entire book? On and by a 20 year old?

Not just this 20 year old, either - any memoir published by anyone under 30 seems a bit inauspicious to me.

DWTS Star Bristol Palin Pens Memoir, 'Not Afraid of Life'
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

I'm guessing they figure she'll write at the intellectual level of enough tea baggers that she'll sell some books.
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

Bristol will not write this book, Sarah did not write her books... in reality someone "ghosts" it for them, as do many other famous folks.

If/when she gets bad reviews then mommy can blame the bad press, bottom line it is a win/win for the Palins, more facetime, more recognition for their brand..

It will become a best seller, and will probably be offered free with a NEWSMAX subscription.. and Bristol will make a mint, which is the American(AKA PT Barnum) way....
  4. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +28 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

All the Rubes will run out and buy it. How are any of the Failin families books "worthy"
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  5. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +374 / 0 / -1

#54 Jersey

And yet many authors with something to actually say are turned down...
  6. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +364 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

Didn't Snookie, whoever she is, get a book published, too?

Same thing - a true WTF moment in literature.

It'll be embarassing someday in the 24th century if this ends up the kind of literate legacy we leave behind.

Maybe we can blame it on cutbacks in the Arts Endowment Funds.
  7. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +28 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

In a country of 310 million all you need is 1% to buy your book to make a fortune. And that goes for just about anything. There are enough Harry Boys or twenty somethings to make it worth while to print a book by the failins or snooki. Or watch some preposterous reality show.
  8. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

It's mostly about the Palin hype and marketing around that for the dollar. Like it or not she now has celebrity status aided in a large part by Sarah's over reaction to some very public, vicious press innuendos as well as some pretty poor taste jokes on late night shows. She didn't invent this herself folks.

Edit: I have to mention the hype around her ex as a big factor as well
  9. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

While I agree with you that a book by Bristol Palin leaves me scratching my head as to why most people would care, your point about memoirs of people under 30 is a bit too general for me (nit picking on my part sure). One of my favorite book's (while not a true "memoir" in the traditional sense) My War: Killing Time in Iraq by Colby Buzzell was written about what he saw and did while deployed in Iraq. I believe it was published when he was roughly 25 or so.

Add to that there are many people/kids/young adults who have life experiences beyond the typical "standard American Youth Experience" that could be interesting to some. On a personal note i kept a notebook of thoughts/experiences while I lived in Indonesia during my adolescent years (8 years total) which of my friends have found interesting. Recently showed a friend of mine who made the statement "look at what is happening in Egypt...this has never happened in the history of the world" the portions I wrote about the Indonesian revolution in 1998. He actually had no idea that something similar to what happened in Egypt happened in Indonesia.

Be that as it may, I agree with you and the above posters who have in so many words wondered what of substance could Bristol Palin share with the rest of us. Thoughts and feelings about DWTS???? Really?
  10. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Exactly. This is probably the recommendation of some publicist or other such person. She's just trying to stay in the spotlight. Hopefully, this kind of cements them permanently as celebrities instead of political entities.
  11. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +364 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

Mr.P and I were actually discussing this on the way to the train this AM.
    He said the same thing you've said and mentioned that kid who fell in the crevice and cut his own arm off.

You are both right. I spoke without thinking. There are many people who, before the age of 20 or 25, experience life altering events which are of interest to others. Anne Frank, for one. Colby Buzzell for another.

I should not have made such a blanket statement.

That being said - Snookie and Bristol are not Anne or Colby. They got their literary contracts based on who they are not what they are or what they've known or accomplished.
  12. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Agreed 150% with your last statement Mrs.P. Americans (in general of course) love celebrity and celebrate it more than most societies and cultures, for reasons i cannot understand. What have many "celebraties" done to justify the interest and/or the pedistal the society at large place them on? STFarmy's point before was great also, hopefully now we can put them (the Palins) in the correct category as celebrities.

I was actually thinking of Anne Frank too as I wrote my previous post. ;)
  13. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Who? Was she on dancing with the stars....or Kendra?:cool:
  14. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 1 / -9

Bristol Palin is making hay while the sunshines, the democrat media keeps her family in the spotlight so she is taking advantage of it.

DEAR MSNBC (drooling chris)
    FORGET ABOUT THEM WATCH HOW FAST THEY DISAPPEAR
    THANK YOU
    HARRY BOY
    MAINE
    USA
    EARTH

:bricks:
  15. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +28 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

She over reacts to who ever is making the comments. A few weeks ago she called Rick Santorum "a knuckle dragging Neanderthal" for saying she didn't attend the C-pack convention because she wasn't going to be paid.
  16. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 4 / -2

Man, some people just can't help themselves can they.
  17. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +156 / 2 / -1

eh, it's capitalism. I don't understand why, but many people in America are fascinated by various celebrities. A publisher and the Palins realize this and think it's a good bet they'll make $ on it.

It will be a horrible book -- like most autobiographies and other celeb-focused books -- but enough people will buy it to make it worthwhile. No different than all the celeb gossip rags.
  18. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Which would still be at a level significantly higher than the pole smokers.
  19. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +156 / 2 / -1

who are the pole smokers? Is that a political movement?

(like it or not, many tea party members were calling themselves teabaggers until they were clued in to the term's meaning)
  20. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Wowza, who pissed in your cherrios?