PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How is Mic'ing Brady's Audio Calls Not Illegal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One very big difference, regardless of whether BB does check it out, and regardless of whether the league in any way frowns on this:

The media are not employees of the Philadelphia Eagles.

End of story.

PFnV

One very big difference, regardless of whether BB does check it out, and regardless of whether the league in any way frowns on this:

End of story.

PFnV

No they're not, but I'm sure the NFL does set some bounds on what the media are and are not allowed to broadcast. The do sign contracts and stuff.

I have no idea whether airing Brady's audibles is allowed or not, but it would be pretty ironic for Belichick to complain to the NFL that someone else is stealing their signals, no?

Last edited:
Someone please explain to me how mic'ing every single Brady audio call does not give other teams a huge competitive advantage, as much cheating as sideline video is?

Anybody can TIVO this game and match up Brady's line calls with the video play on the field. How is this ANY DIFFERENT from videotaping sideline defensive signals for post-game analysis?

The defensive players on the field hear the calls every play much more clearly then anybody watching the game.

The defensive players on the field hear the calls every play much more clearly then anybody watching the game.

Well that's also like saying anyone can clearly see the defensive hand signals on the sidelines. What is at issue is just like with sideline video, audio calls can be synched up with the on-field video to decipher the offensive calls.

And your point is?
Hearing them live, and an upcoming opponent replaying/analyzing them in an air conditioned suite somewhere...two different animals.

End of story.

PFnV

Just because it's not the Eagles "cheating" doesn't mean it's not a problem that the NFL needs to look into.

It probably isn't a great idea for NBC to be broadcasting this but I have to admit I thought it was fascinating.

Brady really sounds like a general when he is out there, it was impressive. I'd love to get a whole game of this audio, you can learn a lot as a fan.

It was cool to hear his signals, but now every team can sync up his audio with on-field video of the play on the field, and also, isn't it a blatant double standard to fine the Pats 750K and a 1st rounder, and then allow this stuff!?!?!

Someone please explain to me how mic'ing every single Brady audio call does not give other teams a huge competitive advantage, as much cheating as sideline video is?

Anybody can TIVO this game and match up Brady's line calls with the video play on the field. How is this ANY DIFFERENT from videotaping sideline defensive signals for post-game analysis?

Geese Mav, there sure are a lot of dumb trolls on this board who couldn't seem to understand your point.

I get it and its a good one.

Goodell's not opposed to taping audibles and play calls. He authorized it himself and allowed it to be broadcast into every home in the nation.

This actually violates his own rule as he made it clear - "no means no" and it has nothing to do with providing an advantage "during the game" as his 2007 memo clarified.

I think he should have to give up a 1st round draft pick in punishment - and I hear he happens to have a #32 in his posession!

Of course, what this illustrates is that the principle is not the strategic advantage one might gain from knowing what plays are being called - every NFL Defensive Coordinator now has tape of Brady's audibles courtesy of the NFL and NBC.

The principle the Patriots violated was breaking a rule set by Roger Goodell - Rules that apparently only apply to the Patriots and most certain don't apply to Goodell himself.

THAT'S what the Patriots did wrong. It has nothing to do with taping signals and this proves it.

Interesting too that there's no punishment in the Packers "bounty" case.

After yesterday's performance I think Brady should offer a cool $10k to each lineman for each game they keep his jersey clean - that seems perfectly legal based upon Goodel's principle he set - though I'd have a feeling they'd fine us for that as well.

Last edited:
From the Steelers board...................
BTW, did anyone else notice just how audible Brady's cadence was during the TV broadcast? I hope future NE opponents, including the Steelers, use NBC's footage to try to decode Brady's audibles (sort of what Miami did a year ago). Unlike Belichick's blatant cheating, taking advantage of such an opportunity would be completely legal.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=21638&page=10

I don't think it was a big deal. It sounded mainly like reads he was making at the line and not play calls. And it's not like they were very complicated reads/signals that he was calling out. It would be one thing if he was calling the play at the line and you could hear the entire play call. I think it was just adding to NBC's coverage.
Then why was everyone gong so beserk last fall when someone said the Pats had miced a DT to pick up audibles?

As far as Feeley goes, was he even saying anything at the line? I didn't notice.
That's 'cause they didn't put the mic on Feeley.

The only two players I've seen them do this to are Brady and Manning. But they do it to Brady and Manning ALL the time. I'm surprised Polian has instituted a new rule by now.

Just because it's not the Eagles "cheating" doesn't mean it's not a problem that the NFL needs to look into.

I was answering this poster's question. I assume he meant illegal by league rules, but I'm not aware of any laws broken by micing Brady either. In the middle of a football game broadcast to tens of millions of homes, I doubt you could argue an expectation of privacy.

As for league rules, regardless of league rules controlling surveillance of audio (as opposed to surveillance of video), my understanding is that the rule book applies to entities under the league's control, vis., the two opposing teams. The network is not one of the two teams.

That's how it's not illegal.

Now, if you want to argue it's unfair and should be stopped, you need to do that. Every play, every word, was crystal clear. This is not entirely new. During one game they panned a couple of times from the defensive signals back to the field, just for shlitz and giggles, apparently.

If you ask me the network is having a good snicker at the Patriots, even while broadcasting them in their late slot every week. A league memo tying these habits to the likelihood of a renewed contract would probably do wonders. That is, if Goodell even wants to send it.

There are other suiters for the Sunday package -- but I don't know how long it is until that contract runs out.

Just get your heads out of victim mode and into effective action mode. What can stop the network's habits? Threat of loss of that contract. As for threatening not to watch those games, they know you're going to, so don't make me laugh.

PFnV

Last edited:
I watched the game again last night and paid particular attention to the Eagle's coverage by NBC when they were on offense. Nothing but silence. I heard Brady all night. This definately should be investigated. NBC has some explaining to do.

Actually, Goodell has already stated that the Patriots gained no competitive advantage from the tapes. He fined them simply because he's an arrogant prick and didn't like that someone broke his rules. Plain and simple.

No. He fined them because he was pressured into it by, take your pick, the rules committee, Bill Polian, the media and other sore losers.
Remember the Rules committee wanted a suspension...for the YEAR.

Working refs is a critical part of the game. Whining is what Peyton does; he of the Manning-face, slumped shoulders and handjobs in the refs huddles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes